TCB: happy jeans contest

aho

I still haven't lost my hope that someone who haven't posted a single update might chime in with some mighty fades.

for example I remember Simon's fantastic OOE contest pair and I also remember his TCB fit was great at the beginning of the contest. 

Simon where are you?

couple pics

tcb and urban decay

BmeShY0.jpg

a happy volvo moment. Just took back my beloved 1993 Volvo 240 Polar. This has been my first volvo 240, bought 10 yrs ago. it has past the 400k km mark. It was in bad conditions after being for 4/5 yrs my wife's daily driver. The wife has now bought a new fiat panda and this baby will become again my daily driver from now on. the other volvo will be kept for light weekend duty. I've had the timing belt replaced for the 4th time since I own it, plus some paint job and some much needed works in the steering/suspension department. It now now purrs like a (tcb) cat and soaks the road like any proper volvo should!

UlG9uaV.jpg

damn long...can see this is gonna be good!  just want to say to Volvo that you my friend have really done a great job keeping this going.  not only has your pair turned out great, but your contribution to many, many pages of this contest thread have not been in vain.  i've enjoyed all of them!  thanks

I had a lot of fun following and partecipating to this contest, and for sure I am going to miss it, big time!

As many of you know Hajime has become a good friend of mine (although only via the interwebz) over the last 4 years, I love TCB and I feel connected to them in some way, as I was possibly one of his first overseas customers, and for sure the first who has documented his products here on sufu. I appreciate Hajime's vision, his  attention for detail, respect for the original Levi's from the golden era, and even more his humbleness as a craftman, which is evident on his choice of going for minimal branding, no flashy labels and stuff like that. The clothes they make are not perfect, they're although excellent and feel "man made" and this adds an extra bit of warmth and appeal to them. And last but not least as you all have seen they fade and evolve very much like the originals, with all the right details.

I have been very active here mostly for the fun and the wonderful high quality company of other contestants but partially also as I am quite the TCB enthusiast and I genuinely enjoy to spread the TCB love gospel.

I was tempted to jump on the OOE contest for this year but truth be told the measurements of the 02 cut won't work for myself.

Hopefuly we could try to arrange a TCB contest "part deux" in the future (maybe in a couple years, with a special run/cut from Hajime?).

I still have one fun update to post within the end, I'll keep it for the next few days...

Over the weekend I will manage to open the final submissions thread.

I hope everyone will post a final submission, no matter the level of greatness of the fades, the more the merrier.

thanks to all the contestants here for their contribution to what i reckon it's been the best thread on sufu for the last 18 months and possibily one of the best contests ever organised on this board.

Meanwhile, after the end of it I think I will enjoy to give some wear to all my other pairs which have been neglected over the course of this contest!

Even as a non-participant looking on from the sidelines, I've probably enjoyed this thread more than any other for a while now. Thanks to aho, Ed and Volvo for making it all possible. While I like the TCB 50s, I have way too many other 50s cuts so it's the 505s calling my name right now...

go for it! I won't get the 505's as that kind of taper looks really odd on my body frame. the measurements look to be worringly similar to the UES 400T which is by far my worse fitting pair.

I'd be more than happy to restart again from either another pair of 60's or 50's, but truth be told I hope Hajime will come up with either a WWII or (even better) a 30's cut. I know he'd like to do a 30's cut but still haven't found an original to copy. Hopefully he will find it in the future!

Just want to thank everyone for participating in this contest, I agree it is my favorite thread on sufu in years, and one of the top contests ever with such a solid contestant list and of course the results.

So much has happened since this contest started, and it's a shame that included my waist size, but I look forward to seeing how everyone's pairs turned out! I'll also be posting mine, which are heavily crinkled, but not faded due to lack of wear. Either way, it's been such a memorable ride, and I look forward to TCB part deux! Maybe we can finally get a WWII pair or cinch back?!

hey Aho rest assured I'll be talking to Inoue about that. I am pretty sure the only problem might be for him to find out an original to copy. either the wwii or a nice chinchback will do it for me. we will leave you guys 18 months to trash those Ooe's and then then we could arrange the TCB revenge in grand style!

Well now it's in writing, so it has to be official!  B)

too bad the OOE is a bit too much $ for me right now with house closing and all that, otherwise it will be an awesome contest to jump into.

yep, always the first thread I'll look at as well..  in the past few months a new shop has opened up not far from me—the only place in Australia to stock TCB, as far as I know.  Prices are good; I don't think they'll be able to keep them down when they go on their next buying trip.. '60s are calling me..

hey Aho rest assured I'll be talking to Inoue about that. I am pretty sure the only problem might be for him to find out an original to copy. either the wwii or a nice chinchback will do it for me. we will leave you guys 18 months to trash those Ooe's and then then we could arrange the TCB revenge in grand style!

Tell him he should check out BerBerJin for some vintage Levi's :D;)

And I have to agree that this contest was a lot of fun to watch and one of the most exiting threads here on Sufu. I followed every post of you guys!

Thanks for organising this contest and most of all, thanks for participating that active!

(I heard of a Strike Gold contest running right now but I haven't really seen it ;) )

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

Volvo, might wanna add that no one reply any comments to the submission thread to keep it less crowded. All comments could be directed to this thread and I'm assuming people can cross post their final submission on both threads if they want.

If someone finds a vintage pair to copy, do they need to rip open the seams for measurements?  Basically is the pair sacrificed for the sake of getting as accurate deets as possible?  Or can they manage without sacrificing a pair?  Maybe a stupid question but Ive always wondered about this

Gentlemen, here begins a massive photo dump from my trip to California. These last 18 months have been a trip. There are so many things beyond the contest that have happened in my life that I am grateful for and this contest and this pair of jeans being a constant throughout is really something special to me. There is much I won't discuss here, but many details to follow as well. I hope you enjoy.

I spent Valentine's day at MoMA and got a nice picture I didn't know was being taken. The pants pictured are vintage '50s military work chinos. That's probably my style choice going forward now that the kids are wearing straight leg jeans again. I feel a need to do something different being exposed to so much all the time in this city.

download_20160227_173536_zpsm7ttyaol.jpg

Before leaving for California, I got one more tattoo in at Smith Street Tattoo Parlor with Dan Santoro.

IMAG0380_1_zpsw6rnzhtp.jpg

When I got out to LA, I found out there was a Robert Mapplethorpe exhibit just opened at The Getty. The Getty is like Disneyland for adult art nerds. The grounds are huge and the architecture of as much interest as anything. I viewed the Mapplethorpe exhibit along with the 19th century French Noir charcoal. I didn't take photos of the art as I find that disrespectful unless artfully skilled at photography.

IMG_0009_zpsgvxoheea.jpg

Entry.

IMG_0004_zps6tria3rz.jpg

Friends.

IMG_0006_zpsxixo6k4r.jpg

Small taste of the grounds.

IMG_0007_zpsgssibwtw.jpg

Lines and angles.

Edited by Jared_Lee

Then it was over to Mister Freedom. I got a pair of vintage military field pants I'd been after. Tom from Austin, TX is a real nice fella.

IMG_0013_zpsyeka5dyh.jpg

I think someone may have mentioned this in another thread, but next door to Mister Freedom is Quentin Tarantino's movie theater. I didn't know it at the time, but I saw "Mean Streets" and 35mm and knew that was a place for me. Tom informed me of what exactly it was. Tarantino screens daily double features at 7:30 for $8 from his private collection. Killer.

IMG_0016_zpsjmbunh2r.jpg

I took a walk around the neighborhood and met this fella baking in the window.

IMG_0011_zps06aqevax.jpg

That night I ate with friends at a little dive I'd seen on the way. We talked about the Mapplethorpe exhibit, the majesty of minutia in art and stayed long after our bill was paid.

IMAG0423_zpsepu33fxh.jpg