TCB: happy jeans contest

aho

All politicians are idiots. Which nation can boast a leader that they can be truly proud of? We have to wait for them to be dead first, before we can recognise their 'greatness'.

As an Italian you have much more than just espresso heritage to be proud of!

EDIT: Persol sunglasses. Best in the world!

Meanwhile, this is the guy that's in charge of my country

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wT9XS_TvzQ

Needless to say he's not doing a great job.

whitefish

great stuff!looks like a hefty little beast, almost like a salmon. I've never come across a whitewish. not that I am a fisherman, but I LOVE to cook fish! thanks for bringing a little bit of the great American outdoor life to the thread!

Edited by volvo240thebest

Washtime!

I would've washed my pair earlier but for the lousy weather here. Finally, the sun arrived and I acknowledged my pants were getting funky. Note the furry apparition trying to get in the picture, and you'll have a clue as to why they're funky...

Beforewash_zpsmbepaago.jpg

Not too much traveling for us over the last month or so. We spent the best part of the week in York, an old city settled by both the Romans and the Vikings. This pub is called the Guy Fawkes. It's the birthplace of.... Guy Fawkes! For non-Brits, he's the fella who tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament in 1605, to try and return Engaldn and Scotland to Catholic rule. We have bonfires and let off fireworks every 5 November. So, it all started in this little place, a cottage in the pub year where Guy was born.

Guycottage_zpsd1mf9bmw.jpg

At one time, old pubs like this had lousy beer; bitter that tasted of soap, and Peroni was the exotic new premium drink. Now you'll find the odd place with great craft beers; this had a lovely pale ale at about 2/3 London prices

Guyfawkespub_zps4mej9y0h.jpg

Dining room had these beautiful niches...

Guy2_zps6ob0yb60.jpg

Just down the road is one of my favourite buildings in the city. This is one of the most significant Palladian revival buildings in Britain - it was a stripped-down Georgian style, in this case desgiend by Lord Burlington, one of the champions of the movement. the top lighting is very unusual and pioneering.

Burlingtonhall_zpsz7a9zntf.jpg

Back in Greenwich, We've had a good week.... busy finishing a book I"m helping a friend get into shape, but didn't stop me taking off most of Tuesday for Lady T's birthday. Lunch was by the river, in a fab pub called The Trafalgar. this is where we had the party for our wedding. It's famous for its whitebait, a little fried fish... sorry, I ate mine too quickly to photograph.

Trafalgar_zps7l1eaby2.jpg

View of the river...

river_zpsxrlcbaaq.jpg

A few hundred yards away is the Naval Hospital. this was built as a home for retired Navy Personnel. THey had a brewery on-site, yay!

Hospital_zpsm5ehpgeo.jpg

Edited by Paul T

Heading back towards my house, past Greenwich Observatory. THis marks the zero meridian, where East becomes West.

observatory_zpslt0ipsqq.jpg

A regular stop; our fab local fish shop, only five minutes from our house. Gurnard is one of my fave fish, too... but today it's squid.

Gurnard_zpsfohskuh3.jpg

Volvo, even if your great nation had only contributed coffee to our big old world's culture, that would still be amazing, wouldn't it?

December and January were tough months for us, we only just got through. In december our Gaggia Classic failed. Then in January, so did our La Pavoni, which I'd only jsut started using again after getting it overhauled. So I decided to go for bust, sell them both and buy this baby. eBay aucitons finished last week and I managed to pay off the credit card bill.

It's a Rancilio Silva, rated by many as the best small coffee machine there is. Happiness, utter bliss, in a simple steel box.

Coffee_zpsh2d7y7ne.jpg

So, Volvo... your nation gave us espresso, you gave us the Stradivarius and you gave us Palladian architecture. You can claim to have given us jeans (not true, but you can claim it).  And you gave us Paccheri con calamari stufati in rossi.

What else in life do we all need?

Squiddy_zpsdwkud3xb.jpg

Edited by Paul T

mighty update PaulT! Bravo on those fades, jeans are shaping up to become truly memorable!!!

Heard great things about the Rancilio Silvia, a friend recently bought it too but I haven't seen it yet. I love the sturdy, utilitarian, no-nonsense all stainless steel design.

Seen now your paccheri pic, my admiration for you just increased, if ever possible! that's one of my favourite pasta, typical from Naples. if you can get the calamarata, same shape but slighty smaller, that's class too, and slighty more versatile to use.

I have a remarkable recipe for paccheri/calamarata with mussels, might do it over one of the next weekends and take a pic or three for the thread.

as for the Italian pride, there's still plenty reasons for it, of course! but travelling a lot abroad I am still disheartened when people ask about Berlusconi!

as you sure know the word jeans come from the city of Genoa, that's the main city of my area and the place where I've studied and spent all my teenage days as well. a truly great city well worth a visit. la tela di Genova is very similar to denim but not quite it, it was made by cotton and linen, indigo dyed and was used to make the typical genoese sailor trousers in the XVI and XVII century. much more similar to fustagno (fustian in English?) than to denim.

it was also used to make paintings like this one, la Tela della Passione:

Passione_di_Cristo_28tela_jeans29_zpssez

I've seen this one many times, it's in the Museum of the Dome of San Lorenzo in Genoa, hope it doesn't fade too much!!!

when first I've got in touch with Inoue San of TCB three years ago it was because I've seen that he made two collab pairs with another obscure japanese jean maker called Genoa jeans. being a supporter of Genoa FC I badly wanted a pair of these! but they were not available more, so I got some TCB instead!

Volvo, do they weave that pattern or how do they do that?

hi Brad no it's not woven, it's a monochrome painting on an undyed piece of genoese fabric. the genoese fabric used for trousers and other clothes was instead made out of indigo dyed warp and white weft (or the opposite, I am not that techinical unfortunately!).

What a great page guys.

PaulT - jeans are looking stunning. Given your head-start in the contest, I think you give us all a little bit more faith that these stubborn jeans will fade beautifully if we stay patient. I love the shots of Greenwich too. It's always been one of my favourite parts of London and I do miss it.

Gnomes - Good to read that the little one is doing ok. Hope it stays like that and that you and your better half can get some well-earned rest.

The weekend ahead is looking like fun. I'll be posting soon!

Beautiful updates, 'gnomes. Feels like only yesterday I had a baby bojrn surgically attached to me. Our nipper had a dreadful birth, three months of hell - then plain sailing, and suddenly this happened!

Today's outfit includes Uniqlo Kaihara selvage (sale item), vintage varsity (brick lane), NOS converse (sadly the chinese-made ones) and English -manufactured mutt.

nipper_zpsxrzgehpi.jpg

One day they're screaming and keeping you awake.. the next they're making you dinner. This was pizza with grilled vegetables and goats' cheese for his mum's birthday weekend. Volvo, yet another example of the perfection of Italy's culture!

Pizza_zps2p0pp2ea.jpg

So, on top of all the useless crap I've taught my son (music, denim and typeface snobbery etc etc etc) we actually achieved something useful!

And this is our little corner of Italy. It's an amazing shop, becuase it's right in the middle of Lewisham, which is probably 75 per cent african and caribbean. There's still a good number of Italians, who've probably been there since the '50s, but I noticed today a couple of afro caribbean guys who spoke Italian and were checking out some cool items! Today we bought Tuscan sausages... I forgot to write down the name calamarata, I'll try and find some next time.

gennarros_zpsxkqefz5q.jpg

thanks for the compliments on the jeans - the photos don't do them justice, in fact the phone photo, with a dog sitting on them, is closest to how they look in the flesh.

Mottled black/blue in the darks, with both white and pale blue worn areas. A lot of slubbing, more so than my Full Count, Cone, or Curtis's 60s originals.... but not so much that it bothers me.

THe stitching is fading absolutely beautifully...

Edited by Paul T