How is job market in Japan? (composer)

anomolies

I am thinking about backpacking around Asia for a year and staying for a month minimum at each destination.

My dream is to compose music and sound design for video games, film, tv shows, anime, etc.

I've still got a lot of research to do regarding living accommodations, and places to apply for a job/internship.

Also, I'm asian-american, and only took a brief japanese class in college which I barely passed (cus i never studied). I was wondering how long it takes on average to make the transition to being able to converse fluently for anyone who's been in a similar situation? And can you get by without speaking a lick of Japanese?

Also, at bare minimum (electricity, water, food, etc), how much does it cost to survive out there for a month?

How much is rent?

How much does it cost getting around by public transportation?

It's okay if someone wants to tell me this is a bad idea, if anything I just want to try living somewhere else for a month.

Sick of the west coast

hope i didnt post in the wrong section

Edited by anomolies

LEL

You pretty much have the worst marketability / the least desirable attributes. You should stay home. I'm serious.

You think west coast is bad? What are you crazy? Some of us are dying to move out to the west coast. You've obviously never lived in predominantly white, shittown America.

Edited by herpsky

never said it was bad. just bored. been living here my whole life. My main goal is just to travel, and see if any job opportunities open up while I'm overseas..

I don't think the problem is that it's not marketable, more like demand is limited to a specific niche. I'm just wondering what the competition is like for this kind of thing.

oh yea, what are the chances of getting some random part time job there?

Edited by anomolies

lol if you're young poor and have no serious skills, prolly best to stay out of j-land.

same price live in peru/costa rica like a king for longer.

if you wanna go to japan to smash, go to peru anyways, lots of half jap/half native girls, same with brazil

You should ask that kind of question at Gaijinpot or something. 

Consensus: You can only land a dead-end English teacher job if you got no marketable skills. 

The major route to be successful as a foreigner, from what I've seen, is to work for a foreign firm and getting transferred to Tokyo. No offense but you being a non-Japanese Asian is a major disadvantage. Most JPN people do not give non-white foreigners any street cred. If you work for a foreign firm, it could work as a "safety net" because you will be able to network and enclose yourself in a bubble with other highly educated expats. Otherwise, you are basically on your own. Most English teachers, probably with the exception of those on the JET program, get labeled as loser otakus or yellow fever bros. One of my best friends from high school graduated with a linguistics degree from a highly renowned Ivy and he is now tenured at one of the top universities in Tokyo. There are exceptions.

This may sound a little harsh but if you aren't book smart (as indicated in your first post) and aren't working for a global company, you'll most likely have a pretty crappy time in Japan.

Can't you just save a little bit of money and just go backpacking around Asia? I'm dead serious. It seems like you've done absolutely no fucking research about moving to Japan. 

Edited by herpsky

jesus christ people jumping to conclusions.

Guys I appreciate the comments and also the people who seem to be mad for no reason, but I didn't mean for this to be a job advice thread. I read about travel hacking few years back and that got me intrigued but I never had the time.

I just want to travel for leisure so I'm wondering what the costs are like so I can plan accordingly. I'm a cheap bastard that tries to save money on everything.

i just want to try living there for a month, whatever happens, happens. While I'm there I might as well try to look for something related to  music industry. I figured Japan is a good place to get some good experience with all the animation, video game companies and what-not. Am I wrong?

I don't consider myself book smart (if by book smart you mean studying and test-taking abilities) but I have good critical thinking skills and a degree in Logistics/ supply chain management. Maybe I can get a job at mcdonalds hahaha

Thanks, seems like this isn't the place to ask.
You're right, I have not done any fucking research. I'm doing my research right now. Not like I was planning on moving there tomorrow. 50% chance that I might not at all. My plan is to live there for a month and if I don't like it, on to the next destination for another month.
Edited by anomolies

jesus christ people jumping to conclusions.

Guys I appreciate the comments and also the people who seem to be mad for no reason, but I didn't mean for this to be a job advice thread. I read about travel hacking few years back and that got me intrigued but I never had the time.

I just want to travel for leisure so I'm wondering what the costs are like so I can plan accordingly. I'm a cheap bastard that tries to save money on everything.

i just want to try living there for a month, whatever happens, happens. While I'm there I might as well try to look for something related to  music industry. I figured Japan is a good place to get some good experience with all the animation, video game companies and what-not. Am I wrong?

I don't consider myself book smart (if by book smart you mean studying and test-taking abilities) but I have good critical thinking skills and a degree in Logistics/ supply chain management. Maybe I can get a job at mcdonalds hahaha

Thanks, seems like this isn't the place to ask.
You're right, I have not done any fucking research. I'm doing my research right now. Not like I was planning on moving there tomorrow. 50% chance that I might not at all. My plan is to live there for a month and if I don't like it, on to the next destination for another month.

I don't really need to say anything else at this point.

also: listen sschaud, i know j-land needs more ppl having sex and making babies. i can help you with that. this guy, not so much.

Edited by Just Another XY

U kinda remind me of Taro....

Homie is slumming hard I heard....

taro can't "slum."

he's never been part of the elite or upper classes, so it isn't possible.  actually it's quite the opposite. his activity is similar to that of a  nonfemale "grouper." 

actually 2 his credit, his looks r probably more marketable than azn american chinese homie.  in a mad generic half way.

so you're saying living in Japan for a month on a reasonable budget can't be done? i don't believe that.

it's totally possible.  i don't believe anyone said or even meant to imply that it isn't.

anyway go to japan.  have your month vacation.  try yr best to get mid-lower tier jbz.  don't use condom  on yr eggroll, then nut inside (this is called "naka-dashi").  get her preggars.  marry. voila!  u can get jap citizenship and be in her family register.  then take her jap family name.  who knows, if you get really good at japanese maybe people mistake u for jap-american!

then you won't have to worry about visa this or visa that. and maybe marginally less discrimination. you'll have all the time i the world to pursue all your otaku dreams!!

yr welcome!

Edited by SSchadenfreude

I don't know what's with the snootiness but I'm not some otaku wannabe, I don't even like japanese girls (most I've seen have no ass, + other reasons).

how did this thread become about japanese girls? fucking hilarious. 

Edited by anomolies

I don't know what's with the snootiness but I'm not some otaku wannabe, I don't even like japanese girls (most I've seen have no ass), so keep your assumptions to yourself.

how did this thread become about japanese girls? fucking hilarious. 

you ingrate!  i just told u a way that u can live in japan! 

Its possible to live the Otaku dream.

Look at Rob.

Living in saitama as an English teacher.

Has a humble gf.

Basically living his dream of playing video games, watching anime, etc.

So its possible.

Look at me.

I'm an ugly Indian/Filipino/Japanese mutt from L.A.

Don't even have chinky-eyes and live OK.

People call me a "terrorist" sometimes but its ok.

Its possible to live the Otaku dream.

Look at Rob.

Living in saitama as an English teacher.

Has a humble gf.

Basically living his dream of playing video games, watching anime, etc.

So its possible.

Look at me.

I'm an ugly Indian/Filipino/Japanese mutt from L.A.

Don't even have chinky-eyes and live OK.

People call me a "terrorist" sometimes but its ok.

well rob's dream is just to be in japland.  never mind the fact that he doesn't care about living in dasaitama and bein a teacher. no disrespect 2 him, but i couldnt live like that.  i am happy at the fact that he is happy though.

on the other hand, the OP's dream is to compose music for anime, games and film, right?  that's way more difficult.

Edited by SSchadenfreude

The video game industry is dead. If you can make tight smartphone games with mad in-app purchases, you can prolly gwoppu hard in tyo.

I forgot to tell rajio but taro went to some kaiseki dinner with questionable pipo. Blacked out during the dinner. Was put on ambulance and he was in the icu overnight for observation bc he was out for like 7 hrs. He probs got roofied. I told him not to hang out with strangers (surprised his mom didn't tell him that when he was growin up)

You can rent a p decent apt in super central area for like 1500 bux all inclusive just for one month. Because of visa issues, you won't probably find a "part-time" job