Visvim F/W14

kojiro

Looking at measurements on the web store , the 103 looks more fitted and slightly shorter.

101 have parallel line throughout the middle, while the 103 have the v line giving an illusion of a wider shoulder - narrower waist. I personally favour 103 cut of jeans jacket.

Can someone please explain how Visvim.tv site works?

They'll put up sneakers, says "NEW" addition but there's never big sizes (11-12). Last time I saw big sizes in new FBT's was last Fall. Really looking for an 11-12 in FBT Shaman JP and FBT Shaman Folk.

It means those sizes are all sold out, the ones that are available are listed on the select bar. 

Not tryin to be rude, but it aint rocket science.

They do pop out in the full line up sizes that are shown in the list. But most are usually snatched up by customers and resellers alike.

If you are talking bout the Shaman Folk online exclusive, I went to the site the minute I got the email from Visvim, still had the full line up, I had about a day or two to decide whether I wanna get the brown or light brown and went for the brown instead. I dunno bout size 11 or 12, but I think by the 3rd day since it went up, pretty much all that were left were the less popular color (Black, Dark Brown) and in small sizes like 8 or 9.

They've never had a 12 on the webshop iirc, if they have 11 which is rare theyll be gone almost instantly

I didnt notice if they have 12 or not, but Im pretty sure they had 10, 10.5, and 11 for the FBT Shaman online ex when they pop up a few weeks ago. 

Damn, even the HK online resellers dont have any of the popular color in the good sizes anymore. Is the Shaman Folk FBT a seasonal release? 

Fycus, ken shinoda, emixam, I appreciate the responses. I've seen size 12s before, but again that was last fall. I guess my issue is I'm not subscribed to their mailing list. That would probably help me catch releases.

Long shot, but I guess there's no well-known Japan proxy that does in-store pickups at FIL?

Edited by Dynamics

Fycus, ken shinoda, emixam, I appreciate the responses. I've seen size 12s before, but again that was last fall. I guess my issue is I'm not subscribed to their mailing list. That would probably help me catch releases.

Long shot, but I guess there's no well-known Japan proxy that does in-store pickups at FIL?

There are a few HK based resellers that usually buy stuffs from FIL retail shops and sell em online like concept, human behaviour and not sure bout vision store since its pretty new. You can shoot em an email and ask.

FBT

Dissertations

14883575126_c0997c6605_b.jpg

Moccasins are traditional slipper-like leather shoes that have been worn by Native Americans for hundreds of years. The design of moccasins varies by geographical location, tribe, and time period, but the basic construction has remained relatively unchanged. While modern-day footwear is typically made up of a separate upper material and outsole, moccasins are cut from a single piece of deer or elk leather, often brain-tanned, that comprises both the upper and outsole material, and is typically stitched above the instep (referred to as a 'gathered toe') and down the heel with sinew.

Despite the seemingly primitive construction, these shoes are highly utilitarian, and helped Native Americans keep their feet from freezing during the harsh North American winters. The ankle flaps seen on some moccasins that at first glance seem superfluous can actually be flipped up and wrapped around the ankle for additional warmth. For tribes living in the coldest regions, rabbit fur or sheep skin was added as an insular lining. Although moccasins do not possess typical outsoles, tribes that lived in desert areas often used thick pieces of hardened leather on the bottom of their moccasins to protect from rocks or cacti, while tribes located near forested areas were able to wear soft-soled moccasins for use on the primarily grassy terrain.

Vamps (an additional piece of leather on top of the instep) allowed for even more design freedom. Beading, embroidery, and porcupine quillwork were common techniques used for decorating moccasins, and by looking at a pair of moccasins, one could tell what tribe someone was from, a person's economic status, and even the gods that a person worshiped.

Zoomorphic designs, such as buffalo or thunderbirds, were common, as well as abstract symbolic designs. Fringes on ankle flaps were seen as primarily aesthetic, although some argue that the fringes, which hung low and dragged on the ground, functioned as a way for the wearer to cover his or her tracks in the dirt.

Moccasins had developed both a stylistic and functional appeal over the years that had crossed over Native American borders and spread to all corners of the globe.

pht_fbt_02.jpg

At the age of 17, I was discovering the same functional benefits and beauty in the shoes that Native Americans had worn for centuries before me. They were unlike any shoes I had ever worn before: an upper that covered the foot and wrapped around the whole outsole area, made from natural tanned elk leather that was incredibly soft and well-aged from years of wear. This particular pair that I was wearing were already modified for city life with an add-on rubber outsole; like the plains and desert dwelling Native Americans who had added an extra layer of hard leather to the bottom of their moccasins, I had learned that a rubber sole is an absolute necessity for someone living in an urban environment.

There was a great deal of excitement when the FBT was released over ten years ago, but my team and I have never stopped trying to improve upon the original design. While the outward appearance of the shoe - a leather moccasin-inspired upper with a removable fringe, combined with a sneaker outsole - has not changed, many of the materials have been upgraded. The midsole is now made from polyurethane and the outsoles for certain models are custom made by Vibram. Pigment-free, natural tanned leather uppers are used to make sure that the material does not irritate one's feet, while a natural cork insole molds to the wearer's foot over time. Feet, and by extension, shoes, bear more of a daily burden than any other part of the body, so it is crucial that anything that touches the feet should be made of extremely breathable, natural materials.

For us, the FBT is very symbolic. Our original goals were to make products that are long lasting, that age well with time, and that have staying power in the market. The FBT is an embodiment of all these things, but it also serves as an inspiration for my team and I to continue to pour all our energy into the development of new, groundbreaking products.

Years later when I founded visvim, I wanted to introduce a groundbreaking product that the market had never seen before. What I thought of was to create a shoe with a classic silhouette that paid homage to the vintage items that had inspired me from my youth, paired with a modern, highly technical sneaker outsole suitable for modern day wear.

The basic concept was fairly simple: to keep the raw appearance of Native American moccasins, but with the added functionality of being wearable in the city. Being suitable for city life entailed more than just adding a sneaker sole; I was also concerned with the styling of the shoe, and the ability to mix and match with different outfits. This is where the idea of a removable fringe was born. I spent quite some time with my pattern cutter perfecting the silhouette of the shoe, both with and without the fringe, because it was important for the new creation to be stylistically versatile. To maintain the feeling of the original Native American moccasins, I decided to use natural tanned elk hide for the upper material. A sneaker outsole, combined with EVA (ethylene vinyl acetate) phylon midsoles and a TPU (thermoplastic polyurethane) heel stabilizer added modern performance elements.

source : visvim.tv

Does FBT sizing bounce around from season to season?

In the past I've consistently been a US size 8-8.5 in FBT but I just tried out a size 9 at Bergdorf and was afraid I was going to rip the seems apart. 

I've should be an 8 if sizing is consistent across models and seasons  - I have size 8 Bison (paisley heel) Virgils that I got after selling suede size 9 Virgils (red tpu heel) and size 8 Patrician longwings in llama.

Variance is making buying from supermarket a real headache.

For anyone thinking of buying a pair - the Horween Bison Virgils suck in the summer - like wrapping your feet in thick rubber booties.  They are fucking tanks compared to the lighter suede versions though and should be great in the fall and in bad weather.

Edited by fals3

It's a cool concept and I'm glad it's getting around. I can't begin to imagine what US retail for ICT would look like. $3000 for the kerchief down or something insane like that? It's cool people in the US will at least for a limited time have access to that stuff though. The ICT pieces I have are some of my favorite.