Stationery: pens, pencils, notebooks,etc.

Vitamian

don't have a picture right now, but I use a field notes notbook with an assortmant of pigment liner / brush pens in a nock co case.

Good to just throw in my bag and not worry about.

I struggle to see the point of putting more than $50 in a ballpoint pen (the first to make a stupid analogy with clothes get the neg).

I use Copic multiliners or Muji pen & passport sketchbooks - they fit everywhere when I need to take a trip. And since I sketch a lot I want something cheap to use in quantity.

Edited by Dropt

U guys both using a $300 pen? what's the story with these?

mine is a pencil, his is a ballpoint.

i got mine for less than $100. i cant speak for the other guy

i think the fountain pens definitely go for $200+ from a quick ebay scan but pencils can still be copped sub$150 easily

i think the lava series was manufactured from mid80s - early90s.  original msrp iirc was somewhere between $70 and $90 which adjusted for inflation is still pretty expensive.  anything left on ebay or pen forums is NOS or from someones collection.  the demand for rotring lava gear is pretty high so thats why sellers get away with jacking up prices

anyways the pencil isnt particularly amazing from a technical ergonomical standpoint.  it has a retractable tip so the regular 600s made today might actually write more stably.  something like a pentel graphgear is probably better in functionality and WAY better in value.  still the lava finish is so damn sexy.  if you insist all your shit be draped up and dripped out not just clothingwise like me its an mustcop  ;)

Edited by ilovefriedchicken

I struggle to see the point of putting more than $50 in a ballpoint pen (the first to make a stupid analogy with clothes get the neg).

I use Copic multiliners or Muji pen & passport sketchbooks - they fit everywhere when I need to take a trip. And since I sketch a lot I want something cheap to use in quantity.

i agree about your points ballpoint pens.  partly because i hate them but i digress.  Still, fountain pens and other liquid based ink pens are not viable options at all for carbon copy lab notebooks and other forms of paper.  I have a rotring rapid pro for those awful instances i have to write on non fountain pen compatible paper...

still under $50 so not being a total hypocrite i guess...

I know nothing about notebooks or pens or pencils. Looking for a nice notebook to keep as a daily journal (love leather ones). Maybe even a small leather one with graph paper for my engr courses. A nice drafting pencil and a daily pen. Any good stables for all 4 items?

I bought the leuchtturm1917 A6 dots instead of rite in the rain, Its coming in Monday. Also I heard people prefer the dots on the Leuchtturm because the ones on the Rhodia are to far spaced. But anyways I also made my own hand made pens when I was in middle school. Ill take a picture of them with my notebook. Ones made of cocobolo the other deer horns and idk the third; however they were all hand turned on a lathe by me

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got on a pen streak a few years back. Some of the guys in the EDC thread have some really good collections. One of them got me into the Pentel Tradio line that you can get at jetpens.com. The Body of the pen is a very light (feels kinda cheap) plastic, but it's matte finish which is nice. But replacable ink cartridges in .7 and .5 mm I think. The pen's like $8 and refills like $1.50. It writes so smooth and doesn't smear which is my main criteria.

15470.jpg

Oh, and I got the matte black Fisher Space Pen. Decently smooth writing. I like it's compactness, but have found that the pen top doesn't stay on the back when I'm writing. And sometimes the clip pops off. But it's got a nice solid feel in your hand, not too light, not too big

I do like the look of the Larny Safari tho

Edited by twistedtrees

• 2 weeks later...

what inks do the fountain pen crewe like?

i wanted to cop the sailor guro for the ridiculously deep, stygian black but then i got scared of potential cloggings. looking for a nice black/green too...

i've used most of the top regarded blacks but i really think sailor nano ultrablack and platinum carbon are the best of the bunch.  

i use the sailor right now.  its actually not the deepest black but blows out of the water almost any other black ink in all other categories.  extremely bulletproof (makes noodler bulletproof seem like an apron), minimal nib creep, extremely fast drying, pretty much waterproof, never clogs, and flows ridiculously smoothly.

amazingly, it also doesnt bleed through shitty moleskines.  probably the only fountain pen ink i know of that can make that claim.  it is pretty expensive though

for colored options check out pilot iroshizuku series.  imo the absolute best colored inks.  i use the ku-jaka.

• 2 weeks later...

i haven't bought that many pens, but i like to use rollerball pens for sketching and writing notes.  They are pretty inky and can feather on some papers. the ones i've tried dry slower but i don't have the tendency to swipe so i don't really have a problem with smudging. 

currently my most-used is the Pilot Precise v5, a 0.5mm rollerball. it's funny cus i only started using this after i borrowed it from my mom.  i like the v5 alright but i'm trying to find a better pen for drawing. it kinda leaks sometimes from the reservoir , however, i much prefer the ink-flow of a rollerball to a ballpoint gel pen. those are always very skippy for me. i sometimes use dip-pens for drawing too, with drawing inks like speedball and sumi ink.

anyone else use rollerball pens got a rec? i'm thinking of trying the Ohto graphic liners soon. i dunno. i would spend more too i guess but i don't want to buy a sorry 30$ pen.

anyone have any experience with "repap" or "limestone" paper? i'm tempted to cop an ogami notebook bc in theory i'd be writing on a stone slate.

if its just an eco-friendly gimmick and isnt that great to write on i'll pass

http://www.jetpens.com/Ogami-Professional-Notebooks-Soft-Cover/ct/2063

32 sheets for $15 bucks ....thats hard for me to pull the trigger

• 3 weeks later...

z5itq5B.jpg

the usual gear!

i really love frixion pens, they're excellent for dumb people like me who always makes mistakes!

the mildliner pens i got are pretty cool too, they're muted colored highlighters and they look great on paper ˚✧₊âŽ( ˘ω˘ )âŽâºË³âœ§à¼š

if youre some sort of engineer who does a lot of drafting this would probably be great

i will say this though...

its a blatant rotring ripoff lol

knurled grip check, hexagonal body check

why not add a fcking red stripe lol