Nudies: Selvage vs non-selvage

Tenchi

I wanna get some nudies soon, but am not sure. What is the actual difference between the fabric types?

Is the selvage line just purely for aesthetics?

The thing is, if they're the same type or fabric, I might as well get the non-selvage version as I'm not exatly planning on wearing them cuffed.

Yep yep I've serached and stuff but its still kinda hard to clarify here..

tenchi!

welcome to the future! you will find your new home in cyberspace cozy and warm; populated by all sorts of strange and magnificent creatures obsessed with all things indigo and cotton.

there's a stickied thread in superdenim that TweedlesInPink put together that compiles a lot of interesting info that you may find usual on your quest for new jeans.

here are some links on SELVAGE:

Selvedge (also, twill and dyeing discussion):

http://superfuture.com/city/supertal...read.php?t=771

http://superfuture.com/city/supertal...ead.php?t=2415

my advice would be to read up before you buy. you don't want to buy non-selvage and then decide a couple months down the road that you actually want shuttle-loomed denim instead.

i would examine what's important to you and how much of a factor COST is in your decision.

for the money, APC is a better value in my opinion. you can get selvage APCs for cheaper than non-selvage Nudies. but then, i have no experience with APC whatsoever; and i don't own non-selvage Nudies. it has been said numerous times that non-selvage nudies are garbage.

good luck! happy hunting!

:D

ddml

Cool thanks, yeh selvage is nice, got some evisus No.1s and stuff

But if anyone out there has any personal experiences with the non-selvage Nudie lmk. And does anyone know which one stays shinier for longer? I'm not sure if the selvage will affect the sheen due to its bumpiness.

And yeh dunno where to find APCs in Aus...

selvage and non-selvage nudies are mercerized, so the sheen will be the same AFAIK.

have you posted pics of your evisu? i'd like to see them.

why don't you go for IMPERIAL denim instead? AUSSIE denim that is nudie's better-looking cousin. felled seams, real leather patch.

selvedge has no bearing on sheen or colour, it's just what different grades of denim nudie uses for selvedge or non-selvedge. in this case it seems as ddml says they have opted for lower quality denim in their non-selvedge models. but selvedge does not equate to quality, it's just a historical detail that we love to have.

evisu no. 1s? that's lovely. are they japanese evisu or the europe edition?

i second the imperial vote.

One thing about the non selvage denim in nudies is that their SUPER LIGHT WEIGHT! the denim is extremely thin and ears easily but if you get the ones with lycra it helps with the tearing a bit. This is only a comparison beween he Straight Sven selvage and BO dry not too much about other cuts.

I wanna get some nudies soon, but am not sure. What is the actual difference between the fabric types?

Is the selvage line just purely for aesthetics?

The thing is, if they're the same type or fabric, I might as well get the non-selvage version as I'm not exatly planning on wearing them cuffed.

Yep yep I've serached and stuff but its still kinda hard to clarify here..

Well, Nudie makes only two models in selvage denim - Regurlar Ralph (slight bootcut) and Straight Sven. Assuming that you want your jeans raw, I would suggest you get the selvage ones. Nudie's selvage denim comes from Japan and fades differently than their Italian non-selvage denim.

BTW, how much are RRDS in Oz these days?

Well, Nudie makes only two models in selvage denim - Regurlar Ralph (slight bootcut) and Straight Sven. Assuming that you want your jeans raw, I would suggest you get the selvage ones. Nudie's selvage denim comes from Japan and fades differently than their Italian non-selvage denim.

BTW, how much are RRDS in Oz these days?

Baggy Bjorns are orange selvage too, and left-hand twill.

i have a pair of slim jims that are not selvage and i must say that i am a bit underwhelmed with their quality. i mean, i like the cut and all, but the denim just isn't up to par. i dont have a lot to compare them to, but i have a pair of jr calis no wash that are selvage, and the difference in quality is just striking to me. the stiffness and feel of the calis just blow the nudies out of the water imo. the nudies are rather 'flimsy', and do not crease very well, which takes them a long time to break-in and fade.

the new dry japan slim jims, however, seem a bit more promising. the weave on them look different than my current slim jims (rh twill v. broken twill, respectively), and of course have the advantage of being made with japanese denim, as opposed to the italian (i believe) denim used in the older slim jim models.

im not unhappy that i purchased my slim jims, as they are still a very comfortable jean to wear with a great fit. it's just that im a little disappointed with the overall quality.

You can still get japanese denim in some of their non-selvage lines iirc. ie Slim Jim Dry Japan. If you can't be arsed to pay extra for something you don't really know much about/ don't care for, but want decent quality denim then i'd recommend the sj dry japans.

Nice info, thanks! They were not available in 2005 when I got me SSDS

Of course you want high quality denim, that's a given. That doesn't necessarily mean selvage. Like you said, it's a niche market, and those who prefer selvage more often than not would prefer raw as well. Same goes for hidden rivets, button flys, felled inseams, vegetable indigo, anit-fit etc, etc, etc.

Of course you want high quality denim, that's a given. That doesn't necessarily mean selvage. Like you said, it's a niche market, and those who prefer selvage more often than not would prefer raw as well. Same goes for hidden rivets, button flys, felled inseams, vegetable indigo, anit-fit etc, etc, etc.

Selvage + good wash = usually way beyond reasonable budget for a pair of jeans, but there are exceptions, and I would rather go for those exceptions rather than for non-selvage washed jeans at the same price level.

tenchi, i work in the city, ill pick em up for you if you want. i know their 260 cause i was down there the other day. hit me up on sneakerfreaker if you need help.

lol sup robbeec

Yeh its cool and all but I've gotta check out the fit and stuff, so I might do it in the holidays (couple of weeks left)

Them No.1 specials

smallbackfw1gd3.jpg

smallfrontrt2yi7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...