SuperDepressed (support community)

dovo

Yes, more so than any amount of therapy has ever done. 

It took me a while to find one that works for me (Zoloft is what I'm on now) but it basically just makes me feel a lot more clear headed, and not get all weird and disassociated-- and also not go to such extremes in depression. The example I use that feels most accurate is that before I felt like my mind was tuned between two radio stations, with racing thoughts, fuzziness, etc-- and now I feel super focused and present. 

It might be my OCD that makes me such a good candidate for it, but it's really saved my ass.  

yeah i think im due for some meds,again, i used to take some a bit last winter when needed and it helped, this summer i was totally fine not anxious at all but it seem winter drag me again into anxiety lol dunno why ?

that anxiety is causing bladder problem right now. got tested and everything came negative so its the only option left.

what bladder problem? how?

you got a shy bladder?

its really weird man but basically ive read on it, 

always been a guy that piss often, im talking 10 times a day or more

but recently i got this problem or OCD were im always in the state of thinking that  i need to urinate, that create tension in the muscles, basically my bladder cant relax and i always get the sentation that i need to piss even tho i just took one 10 min ago, kinda like every liquid i drink i gotta piss it out. and

this is

directly linked to anxiety as cause im thinking of it and creating the problem in my head, overthinking it, forcing my muscles

the thing is i do piss its not just the sensation, but im forcing my bladder way too much and it all happen when im anxious

if im at home chillin ill get no problem, but lets say im in the subway, i automatically think of that cause its a closed space and cant go to a toilet there

basically since 2 weeks now  i was always very anxious everytime i knew  igotta take the bus and subway.

vicious circle hen...

but took one ativan today and my day was fine as hell, 0 problem, so another point linking it to anxiety and not another sort of problem like overactive bladder or more serious stuff

(edit:im pretty sure i do have overactive bladder on top of that tho lol)

Edited by aymerikmd

good you finding something that helps.

I got a shy bladder but i've been overthinking it my entire life i think. 

i don't even care now when i walk out of the office or restroom 2 to 3 times just to piss because i know some other person is in the room. i don't think this is good for me long term.

maybe i should consider taking some medicine too. 

• 2 months later...

Super sick of anxiety. Hit a point it's really affected my self-esteem and lost a lot of my confidence and motivation.  Don't have much of a desire anymore to apply for internships at my dream job or anything because small every day tasks are daunting.

I know a lot of the thoughts and stuff aren't real (a lot of the "not good at anythings" and stuff like that) and I know to not feel anxious, but getting a shaky voice making presentations and feeling the physical symptoms during almost any task are extremely frustrating. Feel like I can't function or make good work.

Anyone else been here?

Edited by ShakeEmUp

Fuck yeah, it's a total nightmare. Have you seen a doctor or gone to therapy? I'm going through that exact same thing right now, basically getting super depressed because anxiety makes it hard to even go outside. It's super tiring. 

Right now I'm doing free group therapy at an outpatient clinic (which is okay) and starting one-on-one sessions that are super cheap at a local university. It does help to go to these things weekly-- it sort of makes me feel like I'm moving forward even in a small way. 

I understand how much it sucks though-- it's really embarrassing and at least for me, not exactly something I want to discuss with friends. 

Started therapy this week. Unfortunately prozac for now because I have to present twice a week for advertising classes. 

Sorry you're going through this as well but it's nice to not feel alone.  Hoping I can get my confidence and drive back soon though. 

Therapy is definitely a good move forward, whatever format it takes, because you making a positive change. And don't knock the medication, it can help level things out a bit while you work on getting yourself into a more confident head space (anxiety operates on both biological and psychological levels, so treating both is a good plan). Provided it helps you get better, and not just feel better, it's always worth it.

Anxiety is that cyclical worrying about the "what ifs?". I find writing it down helps - write down what your thoughts are in that anxious moment (everything from starting to get nervous to thinking you might die if you don't escape that situation). You'll start to see patterns in your thinking and then you can see what you can do little by little to challenge those automatic assumptions your brain is so good at making now. 

For myself, I'm finally working on trying to get back to life again after a year and a half in and out of hospital for physical health stuff and being housebound thanks to major anxiety. Feeling good about this year though, I got progress to make and fly shit to do. 

• 3 weeks later...

Have battled depression for ages and the last 3 years with social situations I really struggle.

I find it hard to answer my phone to people and speak to people in the street / meet up with people. 

I'm not a total recluse & I have a good social group / girlfriend and am very active, I just go through these dips where I find my confidence is so low I can't really do much & I'm just constantly thinking about suicide,not like I'm going to do it but it's just constantly on my mind.

I stopped smoking weed, have a healthy diet, only drink once every few weeks, and I exercise regularly,

but it's got to a point where it's affecting my career and relationships. I'd love to know if anyone's experienced this, if it sounds like social anxiety or just general depression, and what I should do next.. CBA / CBT? Meds, idk,

I feel stuck.

Edited by NOBUYOSHI

PSA: If your anxiety symptoms go haywire for no apparent reason consider getting a blood test to rule out physical symptoms.

I thought I'd been going batshit crazy for the past three months-- I lost a ton of weight, my heart was always racing, barely ever slept-- and I just found out I have hyperthyroidism. 

It's absolutely not the only cause of my mental health shit, but it's been making it a whole lot worse. 

Also I thought I would pass this on because it's helped me a lot and might be of aid to some of you guys. A lot of my feeling anxious and depressed has been hyper self-criticism of myself that really hit my confidence and self-esteem. It became cyclical because it would make me anxious, I would perform poorly, beat myself up, and then repeat this over and over.

My therapist suggested I keep a small notebook on me and log everything I do well through the day. It felt corny at first but it has really helped me ease my anxiety and with my productivity. I don't always keep up with it, but I try to log everything I do well though the day until I'm so busy I forget.  Anxiety and depression really fucked up my productivity because I would get mad at myself for not accomplishing much then feel bad and then just mope around. Logging as much as possible (small things like "got out of bed without hitting snooze, brushed my teeth, got to work on time) has given me a huge boost and helped me get in the mentality of being able to not fret on my mistakes / feel bad about myself for small imperfections. 

• 1 month later...

wassup yall it's been 1 year, many episodes of depression, a suicide attempt (by cop), a revised bipolar diagnosis, numerous medication changes, but i'm 68 days sober, making plans to teach in another country and alive

of course, i still have crippling depression, constant anxiety and a few bouts of mania. however, feel resilient and 200% more aware of my emotions when they shift--i find that this awareness is key in my management of my condition :0)

pls dont be afraid to reach out to someone!

• 3 weeks later...

starting a really low dose of celexa for my ocd, anxiety that seem to come and goes since 2 years. ill be totally fine for 7 months then be anxious and weird for 4-5 months etc etc.

kinda scared to start it with the side effects tho, sex drive ? weight gain ? 

Edited by aymerikmd

Celexa was the first antidepressant I ever went on, and was super effective for me (with general anxiety/ocd). I started on a very low dose and moved up, so I really didn't get any side effects. I might have gained five pounds, but it could have just been because I suddenly wasn't nervous all the time and could actually eat. 

I've been on a few different pills now, and I find that for me SSRIs don't really affect my sex drive, just delays orgasms (which can be really annoying). I know it's different for everyone, especially guys vs girls, but I found that it was only a problem when I was on a very high dose. 

• 4 weeks later...

hey man! 

I was on celexa for a good 2 years, i did not like it at all, because it put me in a constant state of mania with undercurrents of general anxiety

now, take what i just said with a lot of salt. ive heard really good things about celexa, and ive seen a lot of people do well on it. i might have just been the small percentage of people that didnt have a good experience with it. 

as far as sexual drive and appetite go, i agree with timtam up there 

weight gain isnt significant, you wont be having wild cravings on it like, say, seroquel

sex drive, for me, was probably heightened, i was in a near constant state of arousal and orgasm was delayed a bit. if you're really trying to get off in a pinch, good luck, better start some sort of endurance training--you'll be a while 

hope that helped :0)

thanks guy, been a month now, nothing really happening, first weeks i had some little normal side effects but nothing serious.
everything is pretty much how it was before i start taking it.

heard its pretty long to act tho. will give it some time.

yes it takes about a month, but by this time you should learn to practice mindfulness techniques when confronted with anxiety.

there are 2 ends of in the spectrum of dealing with anxiety: using logic and using emotion

when you lean into either too much you might risk making decisions and actions that might not be so healthy for you. your feelings are valid and you're allowed to take account for them, do not be selfish, help people in little ways

it's all easier said than done

count your blessings always

Edited by Dr. Dog

Sometimes having anxiety makes me feel pretty dumb and insecure.  Took me a while to actually acknowledge that I was insecure, which obviously creates more anxiety, but felt a lot better to actually realize it and it helped me feel less insecure. Anyone felt this way? 

Anxiety makes us feel a little stupid and insecure because we think we *shouldn't* be experiencing anxiety in whichever given moment. That can lead to us damning ourselves and thinking that we are deficient, because if you then feel an anxiety that you believe you shouldn't, then you think you are doing something wrong - which leads to getting anxiety about anxiety.

We all feel insecure, and what I find works is just what you say - acknowledge it and accept it. Having anxiety or insecurity does not make you a bad or worthless person, it is just something we are working to reduce. Instead of telling myself that I shouldn't be anxious in a given moment, I try to accept the fact that I might be, and in accepting it, it reduces the fear of having it. I don't invite the anxiety, but rather tell myself - "I'd prefer not to have anxiety going into this situation, but if I do, then yes, it might be uncomfortable, but I know I can survive and carry on". Just gotta try to be compassionate with yourself and not judge yourself.

We all human, we all have weaknesses, we all learning and working on becoming better people.  

It also feels incredibly embarrassing and stupid to celebrate the little victories of anxiety (for me, at least). Pushing through my nervousness and going to a social function seems so lame to be proud of compared to what I actually want to be doing with my life. 

On another note, has anyone done group therapy? I just dropped out of my second group-- I absolutely can't stand it. One-on-one therapy has been good though, I've been doing weekly for three months. I guess I could probably man up and attend the group sessions, but it feels like going back to kindergarten. 

celebrate your overcoming anxiety, no matter how small it is. not to be cliche (dont cliche's hold some truth, tho?), but it's a sign that means you're getting through--that's what we all want, right? to get through it..that's just my armchair psychology anyway

i tried group therapy when i first hopped out the ward. there's a lot of different characters that are different from you, but you also have to remember these people are have the same uncomfortable feelings you have. i felt like i can be myself, really just show everyone the blacks and greys. then again, you'd kinda have to shop around if you feel like it's like kindergarten. usually you are encouraged to help people process through their feelings and sometimes come up with solutions to their problems, and it can be frustrating to see your advice not being heeded and are stuck with the same problems they shared the week before. if you want to try again, great!!!! you're doing something about these feelings!!!!

Edited by Dr. Dog