SuperDepressed (support community)

dovo

honestly i go from miserable to giddy laughter with it :blink: then when i get out, somewhere in between

That's all good dude, but ya know, your avatar is giving me anxiety! haha Edited by GTG

• 2 weeks later...

Sunshine, bud and lifting have helped me feel almost anxiety/depression free.

Just waiting until winter though :wacko:

if you can afford to, keep your house extremely well lit throughout winter, keep exercising, and just find a hobby or a social group to stay as busy as you can. make sure you eat nutritiously and rest enough, but not too little and not too much.

this is how i navigated through winter after recovery.

i once had a psych whom i do not visit anymore because i am generally "cured" on a baseline level, who explained to me that if you really wanna work on anxiety or depression, whether it be major or just a seasonal affective disorder, that you should try your best in maintaining adequate rest, exercise, and nutrition (REN). it builds a stable foundation, and can mitigate some of the worst symptoms if maintained.

have to say it worked wonders. everyone is different, but REN is something that should not be ignored. i know it seems so simple and some could ask, what was the point of telling me that? but there are so many people who legitimately forget all about these 3 key habits as they fall into a spiral of depression, BPD, anxiety, etc.

it's not like a "go get up and workout, drink water and you're cured!" tumblr thing, it's more like moving a foot at a time, compared to just an inch towards recovery on your own.

Edited by uizm

Well I almost made it to 28 before my first real suicide attempt. It was this weekend. I failed, so still here. I'm feeling ok, for the most part, I guess I'm glad I'm still alive idk. I don't have plans to do it again.

I hope you're doing okay-- this is a super important time to make a plan about how you're going to treat your depression. If you're not on medication seriously consider doing a fast track appointment to a psychiatrist, and get someone to work with you. If you are on medication, talk to your doctor about how it could have influenced your actions, or if you need to switch to a new one.

Therapy is also super important-- and there are usually a ton of low cost options in cities, or therapy groups (if that's an issue). Basically be around as many people as possible and do whatever it takes to get better. 

Well I almost made it to 28 before my first real suicide attempt. It was this weekend. I failed, so still here. I'm feeling ok, for the most part, I guess I'm glad I'm still alive idk. I don't have plans to do it again.

why did you want to merk yourself tho

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

so i'm doing an ethnographic study for one of my classes, and was wondering if anyone would like to share their views about mental health issue stigma, and how/where do you usually talk about these things?

it took myself a while to get to a therapist, who i've stopped visiting, and i barely talked about these issues even to my closest friends, esp. as a guy, even though they weren't the type to judge. i see this thread, and sites which specifically serve as a place to talk about these issues as stigma-less or, at least, less stigmatizing domains, and was wondering if you guys had any thoughts.

I think people in general are becoming more open to the idea of mental health problems, especially in far eastern countries where it used to be, and I'm sure still, written off as being weak minded and lazy. If I recall, there was an article somewhere a few years ago about this within the Chinese American community of New York. You might be able to find it on a google search.

Personally, I have never been successful at talking about it with people in general, or at least feel that they can't truly grasp the concept of it. The closest I've come is through a very short discussion in class about depression in literary works in high school. However, when my english teacher asked if I knew anyone with depression, it was just too uncomfortable for me to say yes. 

I wish, that the foundation of our society would recognize the importance of teaching folks things that *seem* intuitive but actually isn't. or common sense, but isn't.

Have classes for kids at a young age that encourages communication, dialogue.  Know how to ease kids into learning about life and death, and not be so afraid to "traumatize" them--electing to keep it from them instead of exposing them to situations that will better prepare them for life going forward.

I don't think there is any stigma in going to see a therapist, but I also kind of view them (therapists) as a tertiary means, like an ambulance for someone suffering from a heart attack that could have been avoided by being proactive using preventive means--and yes, being more holistic about it.

If there is one thing I've learned, is everyone has demons within, but to what degree, and how well they hide it and/or handle it, differs.

Edited by whitney

im not depressed but my gf of like now 3 months was anorexic before and was fine when we met etc. but now shes gettin back into it.
she told me that its kinda bad again, so at least shes was able  to talk to me about it, but i dont know what to do, i feel really unhelpful.

she still super cheerful, cool and feel good most of the day, she just doesnt eat at all almost. and when she does, pretty sure she throw up. on top of that she have arthritis that come and goes so she have to take a shitton of meds. pretty sure the combo of not eating and takin lots of meds REALLY NOT GOOD. 

i feel like i cant do shit and just ignore it. it doesnt change our relation really, just feel weird i guess

ive read on anorexia and seem like its a mental disorder that cant be treated really and lot of relapse. god.
its like their brain is programmed to enjoy not having food, while us its the opposite.

^ Your support is going to be valuable during this. IMO it is treatable but it does involve a lot of intensive and progressive work.

Currently doing some work experience and I'm finding I'm progressively being drawn into this particular area of clinical work in combination with my degree. It's not an area we traditionally look into for what I do but it is an extremely understudied area. I've had the pleasure of working with people who have psychosis, depressive symptoms and anything in between, but it got me wondering, how many people in healthcare are able to cope with the amount of crap that gets thrown around (literally and figuratively) and dealing with people being mindful of being empathetic but not completely invested in a way that it blurs your professional integrity.

Also I've always had the impression that from a medical perspective people just get prescribed meds and sent home, which is unfortunate but considering the load of cases most hospitals get it would be better to refer to someone in a community based setting.

yeah i try to be really cool with it 

i say stuff like ' did you eat today tho' and shit like that  and im not sure i should say that ??
she doesnt react bad to it, shes like yeah i ate, could be lyin or could be that she throw up the foods tho.

i try also to offer her some food when were at home, small thing like apples and shit, and she does eat it but idk its just weird.
also i dont feel bad to eat around her. idk if it make her feel uncomfy tho 

Edited by aymerikmd

i totally agree with you mostly, but can you elaborate on why you see therapists as tertiary means? I think this is a common belief, and one that I still kind of hold. what kind of cathartic release do you get from this thread vs. seeing a therapist?

I had a really long reply but than I got tired of just looking at it so I ditched it + I'm pretty sure I answered it already although simplistically.

I am going to say, huge believer in attitude and ability to zoom out or see the end of the tunnel.

While I think analyzing and making decisions based on that is a good thing, overanalyzing sometimes will do you more harm then good.

I also think that some needs to develop thicker skin, go through pain to appreciate the good, that type of generic saying that still rings true.

Gonna stop myself before I go all out and paragraph hard.

aymerikmd -- I think you just need to talk to her and ask what you can do to help. It doesn't have to be a really serious sit-down-style-intervention, but just let her know you care about her and you want to know what she's comfortable with and if there's anything you can do to make things better. 

Eating disorders are obsessive compulsive spectrum disorders, and they can usually be helped with medication. It's not a cure all, it's more of a device to get someone to a place where they can start to actually make plans for personal improvement and then actually follow through with them.

She has to actually want to get better though, that's the difficult part. 

yeah i feel you, im really supportive for her, i think shes know it

the thing is she already take shit loads of meds for her arthritis and doesnt want to overdo with other pill also.
no kiddin she take like 5-6pills  different pills at the same time sometime for her arthritis

she knows its not good and that she need help but she told me she didnt wanna see a psych or something, cause she already did before

yeah i try to be really cool with it 

i say stuff like ' did you eat today tho' and shit like that  and im not sure i should say that ??

she doesnt react bad to it, shes like yeah i ate, could be lyin or could be that she throw up the foods tho.

i try also to offer her some food when were at home, small thing like apples and shit, and she does eat it but idk its just weird.

also i dont feel bad to eat around her. idk if it make her feel uncomfy tho 

Good to hear, by all means ask but just don't focus too much on it. It's gonna be tiring for her to hear as much as it is for you to say every time. Take away the focus from the eating thing as something they have to do and maybe look at it as something you both can share and enjoy. How's her relationship with her food, does she cook? Can you both make something together maybe? 

Other than that I agree with Timber, it's gotta be on her as well to make that decision.

I understand not wanting to take a million pills, but there's that old adage about mental health being just as important as physical-health-- if she were diabetic it'd be a lot more cut and dry deciding whether or not she needed insulin. That said, I do believe that some people can get healthier without medication.

I have a friend who had an eating disorder who had to do outpatient treatment as a health centre, and then was on meds for a couple years in order to get better. But everyone is super different. 

mental health is very important, very maybe slighty more important than physical. it is about balance. keeping both parts stable. but from experience and examples i've seen mental health can in situations cure physical health. just like ^timber i've seen people getting cured without any medication. i'd suggest to not get the body addicted to meds. or atleast limit them to where it's possible. it's supposed to be there to 'soften' pains, issues. meds only treat people. they do not cure people. this is why symptoms bounce back. after some time i realised it's how the whole pharmaceutical industry is built. they are many diseases and they are many diseases that are actually 'manmade' by humans. it's sad once you find out but this is also what happens in the world. many moneyhungry people's motive is not to help but to make money. good thing is that our bodies do not require unnatural mixed ingredients to repair. myself i've been in a time where i was depressed, torn my acl and got cut from an internship all at the same time. this had much impact on me. during and after the process was sick of it and started researching and speaking to a few people and thankfully eventually improved myself. from experience it requires time and the right fuel (physical&mental) (food,ingredients(vitamins, organic, natural etc.) and attention. these things are sometimes hidden and labeled often as overrated while in reality they are not. mainstream media will often feed people the wrong message to keep the ball rolling and to maintain income. keep thinking for yourself, research and speak to people who have been through similar situations. it helps. to anyone in find themselves in difficult situations.

broke up with my girlfriend about a month and a half ago, initially was really really just sad, crying about it whenever i thought about stuff we did together and the general concept of 'us together.' i was really just bummed out because i thought we had a lot in common and were very compatible on core value type of stuff. however, after finally breaking up i realized that we were just fundamentally different, and i just didn't admit it to myself when we were actually dating. there was a lot of things that i was into she just didn't care about and vice versa, and overall feelings towards things just didn't match really. not for everything obv, but just things that i personally think are of value or important. it does still suck a lot that she isn't there for when i want to text some funny shit to or just to tell someone what im doing and how my day is going. i just can't stop thinking about things we did together and i constantly try to relate what i am doing currently to things that we did together, it's the fucking worst. it doesn't happen all the time, mainly just when i'm not busy.

i think it's important to evaluate the relationship you're in periodically, sometimes there things that you forcefully push out of your mind if you just want companionship with someone. being lonely sucks, i completely get that, but forcing a relationship with someone for the sake of a relationship or sex isn't healthy. also stay active and busy, live your life and do things. that mainly has been helping me the most. 

^ good decision. if you went on with it you would get annoyed and vice versa. i have been there aswell. you want something to work that much you give it all, that's why it's so hard to give it up in a way all at once. yet the sooner you put a dot after it and move on the sooner you can enjoy life and not get stuck in past stuff that eventually didn't work. i just get annoyed when someone is playing games as in you give 100% and get maybe 80% or less back. wasted time sucks. faking interest is the worst you can do in relationships next to cheating i think.

the weirdest thing is happening to me right now
basically i always been kinda anxious since 2-3 years, but now since some time it was pretty good, i wasnt never anxious to the point of like not going to party and shit tho, its more just general anxiety. 

and i always been a guy with a really small bladder, itake 1 beer and i gotta take 4 piss inthe span of an hour, no joke. never cause me much problems except i have to pee all the time which is just annoying.

but recently ive been takin the subway more, and i kinda stressed over the fact what would happen if i gotta take a piss while im on the subway, so i created a kind of OCD on my own.. now its like i need to pee fuckin more then 10 times a day, and it create pression, almost like im forcing myself to check if i need to take a piss. shit is so weird.

this or i really have an overactive bladder and need to evacuate as soon as i drink some liquid. cause well everytime i do piss or feel the need to do it, it come out. i dont think the body can create infinite amount of urine lol ?

I find that the that the two biggest reasons behind most of my anxiety is either I'm afraid of embarrassing myself in front of other people, or that I can't physically handle the discomfort of something. 

I do actually have OCD though, along with stupidly bad social anxiety and medication is honestly the only thing that's made a significant difference for me. I found one that works and I feel 100x more 'normal' than I can remember ever feeling.