anyone has any idea of getting through culture shock?

Wu_Tun

Some of y'all really don't understand his situation lol.

china is literally at this point of time one huge construction site. Pollution is so bad in some cities, you can't even see 300m into the distance. Its like playing Dota with fog of war.

Sorry to say but some of the habits of mainlanders is just overwhelmingly disgusting. Theres spit/saliva everywhere on the floor, parents allow their kids to take a shit on the pedestrian sidewalk out in the open, nobody follows the traffic rules (they fit 3 cars in a 2 car lane or they drive against the traffic if its a government vehicle and neither do pedestrians give a half shit ass about a red light), there is no such thing as a line/queue, people literally push and shove to get somewhere first, unless you're living the the fanciest areas of china such as prime districts in shanghai, u really have to clean your shoes once although I know most sufutarians don't like y'all shoes too clean but imagine a whole layer of white dust over ur black chucks.. that ain't a pretty look.

Without sounding a racist, I find the majority of PRCs I encounter financially rich, but socially poor.

I remember being in a queue at 7/11, there was some old store clerk at the counter serving two PRCs. They must have been there for about five minutes arguing with the clerk over what packet of cigarettes they wanted, where they kept pointing and saying "no that one". One of the PRCs eventually shouted "I want the red carton in the corner", so the clerk grabbed this for him. The PRC than asked the clerk "is the carton red?", at this point the clerk just lost his patience and literally shoved the packet in his face. Eventually the two paid for and walked out. As I was leaving the store myself I witnessed the two outside unwrapping the cigarette carton and just discarding the plastic wrapper on the floor, despite standing right next to a trash bin.

Incredible.

Another time I was queuing for a bus somewhere in Europe, it was somewhat orderly, single file etc. However, next to the queue were a standing group of around a dozen PRCs. Whom were getting a lot of funny looks from the people within the queue, wondering whether they were going to join the queue or just wait for the queue to disappear and board last.

Bus pulls up, all of a sudden the group of PRCs "peewee rush" the bus. Bus driver doesn't bother to say anything, neither do the people in the queue, most of whom were elderly. I was the only one who spoke up and called them out, but it pretty much fell on deaf ears as they squeezed themselves onto the bus. I was so frustrated I actually physically stopped the last guy of the group boarding, saying he jumped the queue. What annoyed me most though was that the PRCs who got on first took up a lot of the vacant seats, refused to give them up for some of the elderly people who were left standing for the 45 minute bus journey.

I don't think I could live in a society where people are just consistently rude, socially unaware and have little respect for others. Then again my other half always goes on about how I was brought up with too many manners and how it's a cultural thing...

Edited by PHAT HEAD CAMEL TOEZ

The whole PRC behavior is very toxic for our world around us, both from a social perspective but also economic and environmental, etc. Even here in the states where the areas are dominated from people who fled PRC, the amount of neglect in regards to other people and the space around them is pretty maddening. I hope it changes over time, but it is obviously very heavily ingrained in their culture.

I visited China with a group of students from my university in the US over the summer a year or two ago, and I have to say, I honestly didn't expect things to be that bad. 

We went to go eat at a restaurant while we were visiting Suzhou, and after we finished eating, we got the check and proceeded to gather up our cash since we were splitting the bill between all of the 8 of us.  We put the money on the table, and one of the waiters swiped up our cash and went back into the kitchen.  A couple minutes later, as we were about to leave, a different waiter came up to us and said we hadn't paid yet.  We told them that another waiter took our money, and after almost 15 minutes of arguing (one of the students with us was from China and did most of the talking), we ended up just paying them again since they claimed we never paid and did not know of any other waiter who could have taken our money.

I mean, this was all just because we were in a small town and we were clearly foreigners.  I know of cab drivers driving the longest route possible to get more money, but this was just disgustingly greedy.  

a while back i was taking this bz to prada in aoyama.  there was some gentei bag that the sa was bringing out from the back to show my bz.  the sa was just about to hand the bag to us for when suddenly from outta nowhere some mainlander chinawoman tourist intercepts and grabs that shit right in front of us (obviously the sa did the right thing and promptly got it back for us).  country steadily being overrun by these barbarians.

blame jap government tho.  they haven't needed that tourist visa for a while now

Edited by SSchadenfreude

This'd make for a fun read:  :) 
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/17/business/chinese-tourists-spend-and-offend-freely.html?_r=0

I don't think I could live in a society where people are just consistently rude, socially unaware and have little respect for others. Then again my other half always goes on about how I was brought up with too many manners and how it's a cultural thing...

Usually the manners you and I are used to get their gears shifted up and down, so it's more of a case of formality/informality with regards to context and to whom you are with (friends, strangers etc).  For PRC's, complete obliviousness to it all reaches wtf-saturation, especially when it's an almost stubborn kind, in multicultural settings; if it were confined indigenously, I'd be fine with it, but it seams overseas travel for them fails to 'enlighten.' Luckily, the more multiculturally educated they are (read English) the more aware they are. Being half chinese myself, you wouldn't believe my sigh of relief when I witnessed for the first time the complete inversion of this 'vulgar public etiquette' in other asian countries -- basically anywhere not PRC, but most exemplified by Japan.

For further clarification to those who conflate all asians as a monoculture, :P , PRC's, aka Mainlanders, pretty much receive a unanimous disliking from countries who have chinese ethnic roots but have split ways in terms of boundaries and culture, for example Singapore and Hong Kong. My mates, who are originally from these places, have an anti-mainlander sentiment that some fail to recognise because they intuitively think 'but aren't they Chinese too?'

I honestly didn't get the divide and had the same "all as one" personality until I worked and traveled through Asia. You can clearly see where the cesspool is located, and it is clear who is contributing. No hate to my mainland folk though, like anything there are many that have been raised well and do not support the ill behavior of their counterparts. It also comes with the territory, from a culture that is slowly being freed from the tight grasp of communism, many of them were born and raised in an environment where it is kill or be killed. Many of these people do it out of survival instinct or the mindset that if everybody around them is doing it, why not them too?

Edited by Fycus

I'm no expert in Sino history/culture, being raised in a western setting myself, but I do conjecture that the communist mindset gets overstated a bit (who knows?); I guess in origin these mannerisms could be said to come from it. I agree with your last line suggesting that it's mostly people following suit, in accordance with what they see in their setting.

Back to the original poster: 

You have to really assess what's annoying you or giving you grief. Are you getting chronic episodes of discomfort from the people? Or are you over focusing on a few isolated instances in your mind? If it's the last case then it aint that bad, since you'd get this in any country. Just gotta 'get over it.' Maybe you should take after Rick Owens and create your own little universe regardless of location (he said this somewhere in one of his numerous interviews).

Anyway. Anyone notice how a lot of mainlanders have STANK breath? 

a while back i was taking this bz to prada in aoyama.  there was some gentei bag that the sa was bringing out from the back to show my bz.  the sa was just about to hand the bag to us for when suddenly from outta nowhere some mainlander chinawoman tourist intercepts and grabs that shit right in front of us (obviously the sa did the right thing and promptly got it back for us).  country steadily being overrun by these barbarians.

blame jap government tho.  they haven't needed that tourist visa for a while now

The CDG store has pretty much become a playground for tourists and their misbehaving children

This'd make for a fun read:  :) 

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/17/business/chinese-tourists-spend-and-offend-freely.html?_r=0

"During a group tour of the Siberian city of Vladivostok in January, Chen Xu, 47, a scientist from the coastal city of Xiamen, said the “ethnic Russian dancing†excursion, which cost $80, turned out to be a woman in a bikini twirling around a stripper pole."

I just cant stop snickering at this.

Being a tourist from the west and looking in from a western standpoint, I visited Malaysia this Summer( Borneo and Mainland).It wasn't the first time I encountered the Chinese but what struck me the most is the social phenomenon that they always travel in packs and then become obnoxious. The Chinese who travel alone are  usually polite and soft-spoken.

Which led me to believe it's a pack thing ??(IE macho behavior ignorance etc..) or that the social inept travel in numbers so they can get away with it.

Therefor the easy thing to do for the  touroperators :keep the numbers small,they will undoubtedly pick the vibe of their fellow Asians/Europeans/Americans much quicker..

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Most rural mainlander toilets dont have toiletpaper. At the factory I visit for work the employee stalls have no toiletpaper holders, its only a matter of choice if they want to bring a roll into the stall to clean up. This is why I don't think I can mentally get over dating chinese girls (unless american raised). There is something assuring about knowing that people know how to wipe their own ass. 

Edited by Fycus

I visited China with a group of students from my university in the US over the summer a year or two ago, and I have to say, I honestly didn't expect things to be that bad. 

We went to go eat at a restaurant while we were visiting Suzhou, and after we finished eating, we got the check and proceeded to gather up our cash since we were splitting the bill between all of the 8 of us.  We put the money on the table, and one of the waiters swiped up our cash and went back into the kitchen.  A couple minutes later, as we were about to leave, a different waiter came up to us and said we hadn't paid yet.  We told them that another waiter took our money, and after almost 15 minutes of arguing (one of the students with us was from China and did most of the talking), we ended up just paying them again since they claimed we never paid and did not know of any other waiter who could have taken our money.

I mean, this was all just because we were in a small town and we were clearly foreigners.  I know of cab drivers driving the longest route possible to get more money, but this was just disgustingly greedy.  

happens a lot to my stepfamily and their friends in small towns and they are all from Beijjing, but lots of extra detours and recommendations were just scams

^Lol. That stuff happens in a lot of countries where there's no monitoring of legit practices or not. 

I was once in a taxi in SE Asia rushing to an emergency ward to see a friend. The driver was obviously taking the longest routes and pretending to get lost at the most popular sections of the city, so I told him I'd pay him a fixed amount of nice cash. When we arrived I just dashed out of the car leaving the door open without paying. Best feeling ever :DDD

Friend turned out to be ok, so happy endings all round.