anyone has any idea of getting through culture shock?

Wu_Tun

hi guys.

I just finished study in London and went back to china last october. And my hometown in China isnt a very big city. I'm quite suffering from having no people to talk to and work with. 

Quite missing those resturants and galleries in London and of course bars. 

I dont know if it's called culture shock but....

cheers

tom

China is a bit weird. i dont trust people here that much. I have some friends but few i would like to drink with. 

and the environment is quite shyt. you wouldnt feel happy with the air pollution and traffic. 

I work out of guandong a ton, what city are you in man? I don't have a huge problem with meeting people or socializing, however I do find it takes a while to get fully acclimated and comfortable with the culture and my surroundings.

move back to a big city?

actually im thinking of getting out of china. but I need a visa to work in the europe. 

looking for some manufacturors in china at the moment. 

I'm quite good at slacking with my camera and game consoles. People and pollution are the most annoying things here.

I work out of guandong a ton, what city are you in man? I don't have a huge problem with meeting people or socializing, however I do find it takes a while to get fully acclimated and comfortable with the culture and my surroundings.

yea when i first arrived in london people told me similar things. I dont know, maybe china is different and I'm chinese. feeling cultural shock at home town does quite hurt. 

by the way how you are you guys if you dont mind? 

many thanks

tom

So you are back in your hometown and are experiencing reverse culture shock?

been there, it sucks.  

best advice i could give is just try to move on, as awesome as london was to you, you can't just keep thinking about it. just start the new life in either your tiny hometown or move to bigger and better things but the more you keep thinking about how great it was and how awesome it would be to go back, you will just be holding yourself back. 

been there, it sucks.  

best advice i could give is just try to move on, as awesome as london was to you, you can't just keep thinking about it. just start the new life in either your tiny hometown or move to bigger and better things but the more you keep thinking about how great it was and how awesome it would be to go back, you will just be holding yourself back.

yup, great advice. i've been experiencing this recently myself (suddenly getting v. melancholic about my time in the uk and japan 5yrs ago) but the past is the past. look ahead and try to make the best out of your situation - whether that is staying where you are, or planning to eventually move to another area/city/country.

My main question to you is : why are you there ??

If it is for your family or work or girlfriend is up to you to decide if they are important enough to stay on there.

Or if you would be happier breaking out of the situation and moving on.

couldnt extend my visa of staying in the UK. I didnt decide to come back, i was forced.

So you are back in your hometown and are experiencing reverse culture shock?

been there, it sucks.  

yup, great advice. i've been experiencing this recently myself (suddenly getting v. melancholic about my time in the uk and japan 5yrs ago) but the past is the past. look ahead and try to make the best out of your situation - whether that is staying where you are, or planning to eventually move to another area/city/country.

Oh yea, maybe im just complaining about it. if anyone ever been to china would probably understand of what im talking about. it's not like moving from london to a small town in the uk. shit happens in china.

If you are not comfortable with your living situation, you should not settle, use your frustration as motivation to better your current situation. A foreign educated man like yourself is a commodity in many big cities such as Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen, Guangzhou.

If you are not comfortable with your living situation, you should not settle, use your frustration as motivation to better your current situation. A foreign educated man like yourself is a commodity in many big cities such as Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen, Guangzhou.

I got a few oppotunities in beijing and guangzhou. I worked in beijing during a winter holiday for a short term. the air pollution was terrible. I quite liked the job though. Guangzhou has a better environment, but there's no such studio or company i would like to work for. 

how long you have been in china? and which city?

thanks

Maybe you should move to a more "western" area that isn't a part of the mainland, like Hong Kong. Based on my experiences, comparing Beijing to Hong Kong it was like a whole different country. In HK the air was a lot fresher, people had different mannerisms and a lot of the locals can speak English very well, not to mention it's a lot cleaner than any mainland city I've been to. 

Edited by NeonDreams

• 3 weeks later...

i grew up skateboarding, playing nerd video games and listening to punk/emo/screamo etc. Fast Forward, its 2014 and now i have all these people expecting me to be like this big black guy like yo bust a move, teach us how to dougie, whats your fav 90s rnb jam? join our adult basketball team, madden 2001 or 2013? 

i just can't. 

i grew up skateboarding, playing nerd video games and listening to punk/emo/screamo etc. Fast Forward, its 2014 and now i have all these people expecting me to be like this big black guy like yo bust a move, teach us how to dougie, whats your fav 90s rnb jam? join our adult basketball team, madden 2001 or 2013? 

i just can't. 

jin the mc probably got alot shit 2.