Supreme 2006 F/W

herpsky

• Replies 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for real, if supreme has spent all these years carefully establishing credibility and making an image for their brand, there's no way they would flush it all down the drain by selling out to Ecko. if anything, they would have some sort of distribution deal like mentioned above, but I somehow doubt they would want to expand like that....

i really wish i could remember who brought that up. i know aNYthing signed a deal with a major skate distributor, which doesn't make any sort of sense alongside of its downtown for life brand image. i read that in transworld business, so that's legit.

in hearing this supreme deal, the buyers came in as backers and investors rather than taking a controlling interest in its aesthetic.

for real, if supreme has spent all these years carefully establishing credibility and making an image for their brand, there's no way they would flush it all down the drain by selling out to Ecko. if anything, they would have some sort of distribution deal like mentioned above, but I somehow doubt they would want to expand like that....

What does this mean? What image? Resellers lining up overnight for the release of a t-shirt that the kids who helped created this "image" will never get their hands on?

Credibility as what? A skate brand or a hype brand? Because one has surpassed the other.

What you think of Supreme is not what Jebbia + fam think of Supreme. That's his business - it's your icon.

And I'm a long time skater and Supreme fan. I don't know, I'm just sayin'.

If Zoo York could seel to Ecko there's no reason Supreme couldn't too. ZY used to be the essence of NY skate culture the way Supreme is now. Who do you would step in to take Supreme's place as the NY skate brand of the underground?

What does this mean? What image? Resellers lining up overnight for the release of a t-shirt that the kids who helped created this "image" will never get their hands on?

Credibility as what? A skate brand or a hype brand? Because one has surpassed the other.

What you think of Supreme is not what Jebbia + fam think of Supreme. That's his business - it's your icon.

And I'm a long time skater and Supreme fan. I don't know, I'm just sayin'.

I'm with ghostdeini on this one.

supreme has a certain quality about how they run the brand.

they could have sold the fuck out like Bape did a long time ago by making 1000 box tees every season in 25 colors and make 20 collabos every year.

but they didn't.

I know how much hype is around their certain products, but look at their designs...it's clear that their designers really don't give a shit how fast these items would sell. lol

we all know all the so-called street brands around the world wants a piece of supreme...but supreme still stays ture to its roots somewhat by working almost exclusively with kinds like Jeff, Ari, Gons...and I think the brand deserves all the street cred that its "fans" give it.

I'm not saying that Jebbia won't ever sell the label, like everyone said here, we all have a price...but why now? and who would spend that much money to buy Supreme?? you think their stuff would appeal to the general public?

I don't know, maybe I'm just hoping Supreme would stay this way..

I remember this rumor started on a blog....but don't remember which one.

I'm not saying that Jabbia won't ever sell the label, like everyone said here, we all have a price...but why now? and who would spend that much money to buy Supreme?? you think their stuff would appeal to the general public?

just take a look at how the elite/limited skateboard scene has taken off in the past year or so.. yes skateboarding hit its public appeal prime a couple years back, but now with nikesb and the advent of the skate/street thing people are realizing that its the next biggest trend that hasnt peaked yet, and supreme is basically the god of its scene

I don't know anything about Bape, and I won't act like I know a whole lot about street wear - but skateboarding has never been about exclusivity, and for Supreme to open up their distribution to reach more kids who are down with Supreme as a skate brand is not selling out. Who cares if it's Ecko - they are a big company with lots of money - it could be anyone backing them, doesn't matter.

I don't know - I'm worried too, that quality will turn to shit and Supreme will go the way of Zoo York. Only time will tell, but you can never blame Jebbia because he didn't do things the way you wanted him to.

If this is true, Supreme pre-Ecko will always be what it is and will stay forever unfuckwitable.

EDIT: I'm not making sense - but my point is that Jebbia is smart enough to realize that the exclusive skate/street brand joyride is coming to an end, and continuing that may be even worse for Supreme's image.

half of the appeal of supreme for many people is the exclusivity factor.

totally true. i used to skate a shitload when i was a kid. all i knew was powell, SMA, airwalk, and independent. i could care less about fuckin' supreme.

now i hardly skate. and as superficial as this seems i buy supreme because i don't want people to rock my shit. nothing irks me more then going somewhere and seeing someone wear the same thing.

in fact i am so into the idea of dudes not knowing about my shit that i drive through that fuckin fairfax traffic and stand the abuse of some ass clowns.

so yeah, i don't want to know (or be able to think) that the dude with the box tee drove to his neighborhood pac sun and got it from some cute chick that smells like honeydew melon peach.

at least every time i see a box hoody i know that person was either ass raped on ebay or clowned by those pricks at supreme.

so yeah, exclusivity reigns supreme.

Can someone explain to me how Supreme became so popular in Asia? Is it because it was considered the essence of 'american streetwear'? Or have the Supremes in Japan been open longer than i thought?

I think it's something that goes back to the mid 90's. When there was an actual "exclusive" gear scene where there was exchanges between Tokyo and downtown NYC. This is when you would see Stash walkin the streets and people will be askin wtf is he rockin!? Japanese kids were on Supreme way before it "blew up" here.

i think part of the reason supreme has spent all of these years establishing cred and their image is so they CAN sell out to the highest bidder.

If Shinsuke Takizawa makes enough money to be invited to have a black card (see http://blog.honeyee.com/stakizawa/archives/2007/02/centurion_titan.html), then I am pretty sure that James Jebbia makes enough money to not need to sell his company to Mark Ecko. Case closed.

Haha, I don't think Jebbia sold his company 'cause he's scraping by and needs more money. I'm sure there are plenty of other factors involved.

If Shinsuke Takizawa makes enough money to be invited to have a black card (see http://blog.honeyee.com/stakizawa/archives/2007/02/centurion_titan.html), then I am pretty sure that James Jebbia makes enough money to not need to sell his company to Mark Ecko. Case closed.

I think the Ecko rumor is completely unfounded and silly. Regardless, it doesn't matter if he is making enough money. Even if he personally was taking home 500K a year (which I think is a fairly good estimate considering he probably puts alot of profits back in to the brand), selling the company for $10-15 million would be a nice little load to sit on or turn into something else. Maybe he is tired of Supreme. Either way, people don't usually sell companies just because they necessarily "need" the money.

Black Card is cake to get. Just spend 1000000 on AE over the course of a year and you get invited. And I was told by platinum customer service that the offer is extended to loyal platinum members even if the 100000 isn't met. I have the platinum and for $400 it has many of the perks the black cards do. That consierge thing is bs because you still have to pay for it.

Black Card is cake to get. Just spend 1000000 on AE over the course of a year and you get invited. And I was told by platinum customer service that the offer is extended to loyal platinum members even if the 100000 isn't met. I have the platinum and for $400 it has many of the perks the black cards do. That consierge thing is bs because you still have to pay for it.

The Centurion (black) Card is essentially invitation only, as you mentioned. Qualifications for one year of card membership involve a $250,000 annual cash flow through the card account, and a $2500 membership fee.

The perks, however, are very different from standard platinum. For instance, they include complimentary companion airline tickets on trans-Atlantic flights, personal shoppers at retailers such as Escada, Gucci and Saks Fifth Avenue, access to airport clubs, first class flight upgrades, membership in Sony's Cierge personal shopping program, and dozens of other elite club memberships. Centurion membership also includes personal services including a personal concierge and travel agent. The program offers many hotel benefits, including a free one-night's stay in every Mandarin Oriental hotel worldwide once a year.

People love Supreme for many different reasons, sometimes those reasons may be "wrong" in the eyes of others but in the end its still love.

Supreme has played a hand in creating something larger then itself. They have created not only a label but an image as well.

Supreme is not the same thing now as it was a year ago or even five years ago. Things change, people change.

Supreme is skateboarding. NY skateboarding to be even more specific and I think a lot of the problem with Supreme is that many of its "fans" fail to realize and understand that.

Now I am not gonna sit here and tell you I have been down or even knew about Supreme since the begining. Its almost impossible considering I grew up skateboarding in the NW. As I have gotten older I have come to view Supreme in a far different way then I ever did before.

I hope Supreme stays the way it is. After the dust clears and the whole sneaker culture dies down a bit. The real people will still be there.JUst like they have been in the past.

The Centurion (black) Card is essentially invitation only, as you mentioned. Qualifications for one year of card membership involve a $250,000 annual cash flow through the card account, and a $2500 membership fee.

The perks, however, are very different from standard platinum. For instance, they include complimentary companion airline tickets on trans-Atlantic flights, personal shoppers at retailers such as Escada, Gucci and Saks Fifth Avenue, access to airport clubs, first class flight upgrades, membership in Sony's Cierge personal shopping program, and dozens of other elite club memberships. Centurion membership also includes personal services including a personal concierge and travel agent. The program offers many hotel benefits, including a free one-night's stay in every Mandarin Oriental hotel worldwide once a year.

The Platinum has the complimentary plane ticket, too. That's why I upgraded from the $150 gold to $400 (maybe 450) Platinum. I've taken my mom to Taiwan and girlfriend to Hong Kong thanks to the card. I had no idea that it was $250,000. That's a huge difference, but for the price I think the Platinum is totally worth it.

My point was that a Black Card argument Aeros made is a slippery slope. Just because a person of lesser notoriety has a black card does not mean that someone who is better known is going to be better off. In addition since it's invite only I am sure there are those who have not met the $250,000 cash flow that have been invited.

Let's get back to where Supreme is going to be gay for spring/summer.

so are you gonna show us YOURS?

About the supreme buyout business

I really hope supreme stays the way it is. It's impossible to expect the brand not to change significantly if it get sold to a larger company.

Supreme has kept prices reasonable, high quality, and a consistent image over the years. Which really amazes me in a world where even brands like Stussy have sustained signifcant ups and downs.

Supreme not only represents downtown NY culture perfectly, but it is a flag to every kid with a dream to make it only through their own determination and hustle, without comprising their creativity or integrity in the process by allowing themselves to be subverted by outside pressures.