UES Official Contest 2014/1/1 - 2014/12/31

beautiful_FrEaK

No offense to the others, bit it must be objective man, otherwise it defeats the essence of a having a fading contest if the deciding factor is just popularity. ;-)

Edited by mf051404

I agree that popularity alone shouldn't rule the day, but in the absence of specific criteria upon which to judge, there's nothing objective about a bunch of people looking a pictures of jeans and picking which pair they like most. Ask ten people on this site what constitutes good fades and you'll likely get ten different responses. Just look at the vote breakdown for this, or any other, fade contest. IMO, raw denim is subjective by nature in that wear patterns are unique to the owner and his/her lifestyle. I for one enjoy that individuality as well as the subjectivity of personal preference concerning which fades are most aesthetically pleasing. That's not to say it isn't frustrating when to trying to pick the "best" faded pair.

I'll put the soap box away. Thanks for indulging and I apologize for the tangent. In the spirit of the thread, and to bring some relevance to my post....congrats to everyone who participated. I truly enjoyed following this thread. It was a touch call, but I voted for Somar's pair.

Edited by Projectp

No question about Somar's pair...yeah it may look better to most and I don't have any question about that.  But look at number 9, that's a proof of the failed subjectivity I am talking about.  A denimhead would know that Max's pair is better than that (besides it doesn't have any updates at all besides first month) and yet it has garnered more votes than Max's proving it to be more of a popularity contest. But I don't have the right to question that either.  It probably boils down to the "mechanics" that has been preset in choosing the "winner" and there isn't one I guess.  Maybe a better way to say it is it should have been subjective from a denimhead's perspective.  A set of denimhead judges should have shortlisted the set (Somar's, Max's, etc...) then opened the shortlist for voting, that may yield a more credible result.  Needless to say I think everybody enjoyed their pair and that's what counts the most.

Edited by mf051404

No offense to the others, bit it must be objective man, otherwise it defeats the essence of a having a fading contest if the deciding factor is just popularity. ;-)

Yeah, rub it in my face, bastard :angry:   (said with Keith's voice and face on the left) ^_^

Edited by Max Power

Powerfull posts guys and I agree with most of the things said. Subjectivity is definitely an issue here and thats why "the deciding of a winner" cannot come from one voting only IMO.

There obviously is a problem in choosing a winner in denim-contests, right?. I havent been through a lot haha, so maybe it is ony this one? Is that treu contest pro's? How was this done in other contests?

But it's 2015 and we are smart people, so a solution should be easy to find, right? IMO, the winner should be decided with a few different factors/stages so there always is a fair result.

1. Judges vote (value of 30%)

2. Contestants voting (30%)

3. Input/updates/etc. (30%)

4. Popularity votes/social media (10%)

One could change the percentages a bit, but this should work. This should also motivate more contestants to update regularly. No matter how small the group is, these contests are evolving and more and more are being organised. So a good voting system should not be missing.

@mf051404 Totally agree with the last thing you said and it's also something I have said before. Fading this pair for one year, that was the most fun part!

Aaaah awesome! YIIIIHHAAAA  :D

Now I just have wait for the official call from UES haha.

If I can still sign in for the denim world championship, I tend to use the 23oz pair for that. Would love to see them fade.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Actually no news....

Lee contacted me short after winning the contest. He mentioned to be working on my 23oz pair and that he would contact me ones finished. That was the 16th of February. Since then I haven't heard anything.

Somar, I hope you can receive the 23 oz jeans soon.

Talking about 23 oz jeans: I saw 2 awesome faded 23 oz samples produced by the Lee company 2 years ago with zip fly

Edited by swiss-jeansfreak

• 1 month later...

So here are my final update pics.

Living in Berin for a 2 months now, without my camera, without my PC and no internet at home. Made these pics real fast with the cam of my iPhone 6 and I'm at the Amerika Haus trying to upload them haha. 

DAMMITT ... This is definitely NOT what you are used used to form me. But hey, this is all I can deliver at the moment.

tumblr_ni0n3nlnZ71rjezijo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ni0n3nlnZ71rjezijo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_ni0n3nlnZ71rjezijo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_ni0n3nlnZ71rjezijo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_ni0n3nlnZ71rjezijo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_ni0n3nlnZ71rjezijo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_ni0n3nlnZ71rjezijo7_1280.jpg

tumblr_ni0n3nlnZ71rjezijo8_1280.jpg

New to UES, not sure what model is it'

if i prefer silm fit, what model should i pick?

400s slim straight low rise, or 400t tapered mid rise, but I'd describe the latter as more of a carrot fit than a tapered as hips and thighs are really generously sized and the taper is quite prominent.

• 1 month later...

Beautiful Freak What a nice present!!!

BF is not the only one who got a present... !!!

But first an update of how my UES look now after 1,5 years of wear. I made some pictures on different places with different lighting. Still... impossible to capture how fucking awesome they look in real life after so much wear and fades.

I still wear them a lot. They probably had 15 washes by now.

tumblr_nqan61Q5RB1rjezijo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nqan61Q5RB1rjezijo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nqan61Q5RB1rjezijo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_nqan61Q5RB1rjezijo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_nqan61Q5RB1rjezijo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_nqan61Q5RB1rjezijo7_1280.jpg

tumblr_nqan61Q5RB1rjezijo8_1280.jpg

Edited by Somar

It took a long time to make them and I had to be patient... I had to be VERY VERY patient but finally they are here.

Here we have the UES 400T limited 23oz. heavyweight jeans.  :D

First impression: they are fucking awesome!!!!

The heaviest fabric I had on was 18oz, but this feels double that. Construction is flawless. They are obviously made with a lot of care and attention. No loose threads or anything else I can mark as negative.

They have the same huge front pockets and the only difference I could find is that these DO have a red tab!

This is the 400T model in a size 34... Not sure why I got a 34, because my size was 33. Maybe because the fabric is so thick and this was a silent advice from Lee?? Well, I can't say much more about the fit right now are they are still raw. I am going to soak them tonight and give them a machine wash tomorrow, then more pictures will follow!

Then I'll also know if size 34 is a fit or not.

Raw Measurements

Size: 34

Waist: 17,5

Front rise: 11,2

Back rise: 14,8

Thigh (2'' below crotch): 12,5

Knee (13'' below croth): 9,5

Hem: 8,4

Inseam: 37 

Outseam: 47,8

tumblr_nqanqi7aAQ1rjezijo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nqanqi7aAQ1rjezijo2_1280.jpg