UES Official Contest 2014/1/1 - 2014/12/31

beautiful_FrEaK

So I thought after 2,5 months it could be time to give a little review about my UES 400T.

First off: Would I encourage other guys to buy a pair of UES jeans? Definitley yes!!! 

They are subtle but well crafted jeans with no unecessary frills. A "good old pair of blue jeans".

But there are some points I'd like to address to.

- One thing I'd like to change: hidden rivets. Although they cost the same as the 400S or 400R, the 400T doesn't feature hidden rivets. Would be nice if the 400T would also sport hidden rivets.

- A red tab. I just prefer red tabs over different colored tabs. And it's only the 400T with a white tab.

- The belt loops could be tad thicker (or wider?!), they are quite thin. But you can still feel the raised middle part.

- The biggest "issue" is a constructional thing.

You notice the little white spot near the fly?

12636899765_0fe167a820_z.jpg

This is caused by the inside fly construction, see here

12637041423_3c1a40a646_z.jpg

I saw someone cut off the pointy part of the fly to avoid such issues but I won't do that. Anyone else noticing something similar?

That is really, weird.. Can't say I've ever seen a fly do that.

Had to go check all my fly's to see if any looked like that. Wonder why they decide to box it, instead of having it curved.

Edited by bradl

For me:

- I agree on the hidden rivet issue.

- I embrace the white tab.

- I miss arcs.

- I love the pocket bags.

- The patch looks dry and cracking, although I oil a lot. But it's too early to judge.

- The denim is nice yet still "boring" compared to other fancy pants. I'm sure fading will change that.

- A selvage coinpocket would be a nice touch.

- I don't have that button fly issue yet.

- The male parts of the rivets are kinda Long, they scratch my belt.

Edited by Max Power

To whom it may concern,

It seems the 400T is loosely based on a 66 cut, hence the taper, bar-tacked back pockets and no coin pocket selvage.

The white tab is a nice change from a red one. - embrace it.

Re the inside fly construction: I had this issue on a pair of Flat Heads and it made a small hole. I cut it off into a more ergonomic shape and manually overlocked it. I will do this again to any other pairs if necessary.

Now just wear those good ole' waist overalls and quit yer whining!

ok, so it's my turn i guess...

- hidden rivets or not, i really couldn't care less ;)

- the white tab is nice and sets it off from all the other companies, using red tabs!

- not missing the arcs at all. for me this is a nice and clean pair of jeans and the back pockets carrying that vibe as well. laid back and calm, without having that "in ya face" kinda feeling to'em!

- the pocket bags are nice indeed.

- selvage on a coin pocket (hidden or visible) is totally unnecessary for me. same with having a selvage fly...less is more in this case. also selvage is just cool for the unknown imo!

- about the inside fly construction, i'm with b_F...the "white spot" is evolving. might cut the inside of the fly though if it gets too visible!

- the denim: for me it's great to wear, not hairy at all and pretty flat. when worn it reminds me a lot of the texas cotton used for the Samurai S0500...looks almost identical when faded!

a few oz more would be sweet as well, though i love the comfortable feeling when wearing the 400T. a great pair of jeans for the upcoming months!

- the patch is "ok" for me. not feeling like paper but also not too thick as on many other pairs of jeans i own. the patch moves along with the denim/waistband and isn't disturbing. so all is good when it comes to the patch!

...that should be it for now!

atm. i can't see any broken threads or any other constructional failures. all in all you get a pretty decent pair of jeans for the money...well done UES!

since nobody seems to want to buy my pair I am starting to think about having my 400t professionally altered to suit more my body shape (taken in at thighs and hips, the waist could do even if it's loose). any reccomendation to a good specialized tailor who won't fuck up with the selvedge? EU based it's a must.

thks

v

ChuckDenim swears on this guy:

http://ruttloff-garments.com/

keeping the selvage intact with such a big intervention might be impossible though. Or he has to cut nearly every single thread and constructing a complete new jeans

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

just heard from the denim doctor. 27 quids plus postage to take in the seat and thigh area from the inner inseam and a new chainstitch hem. I think I'll do it. love the shade of blue your getting on those 400T...

feck it I think I'll do it. the denim doctor asked as well to not give him measurements but rather send along w the UES a good fitting pair of jeans that he could use as a template, which I like. I'll send my beloved, torn and multi repaired pair of Edwin's ed67, my first introduction to the world of raws, and still one of my best fitting pairs. they have the same rise and a similar silhouette as the UES so they should work fine as a template.