c.e

Sorry meng, I'm going to have to argue against that. 

I kind of like how people care about C.E. that much. It kind of reminds me of the same protective behaviour people have with ACR. To say that it's the same as every other 'derivative street brand' would be pretty of unfair to the people that run it.

It takes A LOT of effort to get that convergence (direction, marketing, press, and product) just right–even more so for it to happen all at the same time.

Does it give the impression that you dug it out of the bowels of Japan? The answer would definitely be in the "fuck yes"~"kind of" range and even the latter isn't easy to elicit out of consumers now by any stretch.

A good comparison to C.E. would be O.A.M.C., another brand is in a similar position of pedigree by way of it sharing a lot of PR/practice/business structure/ex-employees as Visvim.

O.A.M.C, by all means, should be getting a bigger reception than what it's getting now, but then something is a bit off no?

I think it's that intangible factor/byproduct of all the work that makes people so protective of C.E. It has the impression of being genuinely 'cool' as supposed to you being told that it is. Ergo, it's definitely a different color/special shade of vomit, than all the other stuff that's out now.

So you gotta forgive these people for feeling so protective/liking it so much. They just can't help it yea? 

EDIT: Too bad Sk8thing looks like he's full of himself. Case of a situation where I wish he just let his work speak for itself, IMHO.

Edited by WillKhitie

I agree with everything you have to say, and I want to also reinforce that I am not here in this thread to troll or talk crap to the fans. I genuinely agree that there is an allure to this brand that is non existent with OAMC or other up and coming labels.

That being said, it is pretty clear cut to me why OAMC has been a failure thus far and why CE is gaining a stronger fan base. The principles of which OAMC were founded are under the idea of taking classic menswear garments and reinterpreting them with the highest quality materials and construction available. This is eerily similar to Visvim, which comes as no surprise because Chris Gibbs is one of the key people in OAMC's inception.

Where did they go wrong? Well instead of thinking outside of the box and focusing on new garments and taking the tech apparel to the next level, they are literally releasing replicas of visvim staple items with nonsensical tweaks that add nothing to the identity of the brand.

Ex:

Visvim 101, classic reinterpretation of the trucker jacket. Since moved to primarily denim, one of the key pieces from the brand. 

visvim-ss2011-101-JACKET-GIZA-PIQUE-2.jp

OAMC

03-10-2013_oamc_thorntonjacket_tan1.jpg

OAMC literally released the same exact jacket, 3 years after the fact. Yes you can argue that some other brand has probably done a trucker jacket in the same fabric, but its pretty clear where the inspiration lies. Lets take it a step further

Visvim weld shirt (2010)

visvim-weld-shirt%2B%25283%2529.jpg

OAMC triple needle shirt

Over-All-Master-Cloth-Triple-Needle-Shir

Etc etc. The icing on the cake is that instead of putting their own twist on everything they just tech'd it up and added NEON. Neon? I'm pretty sure 95% of the menswear demographic never thought "man all that shit is missing is some neon and then it'd really pop off!" Add in heschung, which never made particularly attractive footwear designing kevlar shoes that aren't really bulletproof. 

Edited by Fycus

I know, I really didn't / don't get it still. It's in that, buyer/owner/industry-insider cool realm, that I don't even want to even pretend I understand. It's like two shades too pretentious than where it should be. 

Well, back to C.E., saw some more AW14 photos on Jacket Required (apparently a London shop with moar C.E.-esque things).

9_Altamont_LeCoqSportif_lores.jpg

10_C.E_lores.jpg

you can buy directly from their website, who stocks s and xs

https://www.cavempt.com

I did check out the official store periodically, but never came across a size XS.  Their size chart don't show an XS, which is making me wonder if they make XS at all.  Checked some of their Japanese stockists as well, no luck. Has anyone actually seen anything from the brand available in XS?

i always wonder if c.e. would still enjoy the level of exposure and respect that they're currently having if it was just two talented albeit random "no name" dudes behind the label as opposed to sk8thing and toby.

Edited by conqueror

• 1 month later...

^ can someone explain sk8thing? it's still a new thing to me knowing that the brand has been in the industry for a long time. 

anyways, i know the subject is done already, but i was reading a business article from harvard talking about business strategy

and the conversation about OAMC replicating visvim reminded me of it.

http://weaddvalue2.web12.hubspot.com/Portals/188908/docs/hbr.what%20is%20strategy.pdf

it's a good short read, explains alot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

can anyone comment on the fit of the tees?  i've heard varying answers, but i've mostly heard the fit is boxy with long sleeves?

should i size up or should i stay tts???

i am a medium in everything for reference

size up

Sizing up is a good idea. It's not as boxy / short as other Japanese brands (Wtaps is a good example) but it runs smaller than your average tee. Luckily the site has item specific measurements for literally everything.

Also - I really like how the online store is updating in tandem. Releases generally happen on Tuesdays for anyone who was wondering.

Edited by godboy

Coach jacket came in today. I gotta say that it was money well spent. Quality is pretty good IMO. Looks exactly like the picture but maybe a little thicker.

Have been debating the recent season coaches jacket, this just might make me pull the trigger.

• 3 weeks later...