china :: hong kong :: general

hotboyx2

thanks for the heads up with following NSW HK on FB, Landy.

also to answer the question which Landy alluded to already, they posted 8/23 as the release date for 1199 HKD at NSW stores. In terms of location, you could try Nike store in TST across from Miramar or NSW in Harbour City ? CWB has a great NSW store too.

p.s. Poof, you heading to Hong Kong again?

went to the CWB shop on wednesday and the guy said the shoes will release on 23/8 (yesterday) and only in NSW Causeway Bay (for the Racer) and Juice in Fashion Walk CWB (for the Trainer)

EDIT: and also completely sold out on the first day, also missed it cause i was stuck in office

Edited by downtilimunderground

went to the CWB shop on wednesday and the guy said the shoes will release on 23/8 (yesterday) and only in NSW Causeway Bay (for the Racer) and Juice in Fashion Walk CWB (for the Trainer)

EDIT: and also completely sold out on the first day, also missed it cause i was stuck in office

thanks for the info.

i guess we can try ebay i see the orange racers go for 170-200 before shipping. not too bad considering they retail for 150 anyways.

also, anybody following the infrared hyperfuse? sold out as well id assume?

• 3 weeks later...

Had an amazing time!

Just a little recap of the trip incase you guys were interested.

Hotel: Ovolo, 286 Queens road.

Perfect location for nightlife and dining, great staff, small small rooms but extremely well designed. Apple TV. Free minibar, breakfast, wifi and completely free alcohol and nibbles in the downstairs lounge from 6pm - 8pm each night.

Eateries:

Fringe club -

Had high expectations but sadly was disappointed. Website needed to be updated regarding lunch menu, happy hours etc. We were also forced to sit outside at 2pm on a tuesday when there wasn't a single customer inside?

Yardbird -

Amazing dining experience. Ended up going a second time to conquer the whole menu. Loud, fun and lots of love. The bar staff were great and recommended things to do/places to go.

Highly recommend the chicken oysters, liver pate', KFC.

Blue Butcher -

Seriously cool venue with a casual bar downstairs and upper echelon casual dining upstairs. Our waiter however struggled with the english language, making the overall experience a little harder to get the most out of. Had the Bone marrow, veal cheeks and sous-vide chicken. All were plated up fantastically and had flavour for days. Having a pink salt drying room in the middle of the restaurant floor was pretty cool too!

Barista Jam -

Specialty coffee in Sheung Wan.

Dual La Marzocco setup, several single origins on offer and a team with a real love for coffee.

Dim Sum Square -

Not afraid to admit it, I am no dim sum pro.

This place was recommended by the staff at Barista Jam so we thought we would check it out.

Extremely cheap and very tasty. Had 5 dishes, a coke and a water for I think... $11 USD.

Lily and Bloom -

Tastefully designed cocktail bar in LKF above the hustle and bustle.

Quite expensive, get in early to secure a seat.

Clubs:

Volar -

The place to be! Excellent design. Models everywhere. One trance room, one top 40 room. Beware of the tourist entry fee though.

Magnum -

More of a lounge hangout than a club, a lot of people drinking illuminating Dom Perignon in booths etc.

Beijing club -

Went on a monday night so couldn't really judge.

Bissous -

Located under Lily and Bloom in LKF.

Felt a little young and underdressed but top notch design and amazingly fast bartenders.

Shopping:

My primary reason for going to HK was to dine and get lost in the nightlife.

There was some damn good stores in a little stretch of LKF though.

Fred Perry, APC, FIL, Soph, Junya

Also stumbled upon ann D, CDG, MMM and Neighbourhood on the outer of I think it was called Lookout shopping center?

Again, I wasn't there to shop so I wasn't looking too closely but amazing shop layouts and very helpful staff from what I could gather.

All in all an amazing city which I hope to return to.

• 1 month later...

Had an amazing time!

Just a little recap of the trip incase you guys were interested.

Hotel: Ovolo, 286 Queens road.

Perfect location for nightlife and dining, great staff, small small rooms but extremely well designed. Apple TV. Free minibar, breakfast, wifi and completely free alcohol and nibbles in the downstairs lounge from 6pm - 8pm each night.

Eateries:

Fringe club -

Had high expectations but sadly was disappointed. Website needed to be updated regarding lunch menu, happy hours etc. We were also forced to sit outside at 2pm on a tuesday when there wasn't a single customer inside?

Yardbird -

Amazing dining experience. Ended up going a second time to conquer the whole menu. Loud, fun and lots of love. The bar staff were great and recommended things to do/places to go.

Highly recommend the chicken oysters, liver pate', KFC.

Blue Butcher -

Seriously cool venue with a casual bar downstairs and upper echelon casual dining upstairs. Our waiter however struggled with the english language, making the overall experience a little harder to get the most out of. Had the Bone marrow, veal cheeks and sous-vide chicken. All were plated up fantastically and had flavour for days. Having a pink salt drying room in the middle of the restaurant floor was pretty cool too!

Barista Jam -

Specialty coffee in Sheung Wan.

Dual La Marzocco setup, several single origins on offer and a team with a real love for coffee.

Dim Sum Square -

Not afraid to admit it, I am no dim sum pro.

This place was recommended by the staff at Barista Jam so we thought we would check it out.

Extremely cheap and very tasty. Had 5 dishes, a coke and a water for I think... $11 USD.

Lily and Bloom -

Tastefully designed cocktail bar in LKF above the hustle and bustle.

Quite expensive, get in early to secure a seat.

Clubs:

Volar -

The place to be! Excellent design. Models everywhere. One trance room, one top 40 room. Beware of the tourist entry fee though.

Magnum -

More of a lounge hangout than a club, a lot of people drinking illuminating Dom Perignon in booths etc.

Beijing club -

Went on a monday night so couldn't really judge.

Bissous -

Located under Lily and Bloom in LKF.

Felt a little young and underdressed but top notch design and amazingly fast bartenders.

Shopping:

My primary reason for going to HK was to dine and get lost in the nightlife.

There was some damn good stores in a little stretch of LKF though.

Fred Perry, APC, FIL, Soph, Junya

Also stumbled upon ann D, CDG, MMM and Neighbourhood on the outer of I think it was called Lookout shopping center?

Again, I wasn't there to shop so I wasn't looking too closely but amazing shop layouts and very helpful staff from what I could gather.

All in all an amazing city which I hope to return to.

Thanks, good tips..

Who is going back to HK for Xmas/NYE this year?

looking to go to HK and shanghai right before CNY like end of January. since CNY is in the middle of Feb will there still be festivities going on during that time?

i heard that a lot of people leave during CNY and go on vacation so its not as fun to go during the actual CNY.

thoughts?

even with the the people leaving during CNY to go on vacation, HK is still packed as mother fuka during CNY so don't worry about that.

looking to go to HK and shanghai right before CNY like end of January. since CNY is in the middle of Feb will there still be festivities going on during that time?

i heard that a lot of people leave during CNY and go on vacation so its not as fun to go during the actual CNY.

thoughts?

i thought i was told that if you fly into HK you have to fly out of HK. like its a law or something

my friends are looking at flying into HK going to shanghai and then flying out of shanghai. is that posible or do we need to fly back to HK and then back to the states?

i thought i was told that if you fly into HK you have to fly out of HK. like its a law or something

my friends are looking at flying into HK going to shanghai and then flying out of shanghai. is that posible or do we need to fly back to HK and then back to the states?

i have never in my life heard that law. there are multiple points of exit from HK.. i.e. if you took a ferry into macau or the train into china.

anyone here into film? is it worth it to buy a ticket to hk and cop a camera there or i should just go on ebay? heard prices are good plus a wide variety of stuff.

Doubling back on this. Is there any particular place that one should be looking?

i'm probably heading to hong kong this weekend or sometime next week.

i need a suit. a really good suit. i don't want a custom made one from an HK tailor.

i'm in the market for a european suit. my budget is around 80,000 japanese yen or 7800 HKD.

what's a one stop shop for this kinda stuff? i know nothing about hong kong. i presume IT group has buildings that stocks *jawnz* where is it?

also, i have an unlocked iphone 5. can i purchase a nano SIM that has a data plan? can i do this at the airport?

• 2 weeks later...

Next year I'm planning to go to the HK poly university - I may not have a room from the uni so I'm starting browsing plans to get a sharing flat/house there, do you have any plan, because I'm totally lost. Thanks a lot!

how long will you stay here?

if you wanna live close to the university get ready to pay a lot! mainland china students pay the rent for 1 - 2 years in advance. its pretty much impossible to find accomodation in the poly u area at a reasonable price therefore.

definitely check

http://www.easyroommate.com.hk/

http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/

i might be able to help you out...roommates are always needed over here. let me know!

how long will you stay here?

if you wanna live close to the university get ready to pay a lot! mainland china students pay the rent for 1 - 2 years in advance. its pretty much impossible to find accomodation in the poly u area at a reasonable price therefore.

definitely check

http://www.easyroommate.com.hk/

http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/

i might be able to help you out...roommates are always needed over here. let me know!

Hi and thank you for your reply - I just talk to my programme leader and there is a different way I can take - spend just one semester in HK (at Poly U) and then find an internship/work experience in HK for a year. So we talk now about going in 2014 (early for at least maybe a year and half). That's early but as you said if it is so expensive I prefer to be sure about every cost + Poly U wants application in advance!

I want definitely share a flat or a house, thanks a lot for your website i'll have a look!

I wanted to not spend more than HKD 6000 (without bills - maybe I could go up to 8000? If we share I think it's enough to find something no?)

Edited by Mr.Sander

i'm probably heading to hong kong this weekend or sometime next week.

i need a suit. a really good suit. i don't want a custom made one from an HK tailor.

i'm in the market for a european suit. my budget is around 80,000 japanese yen or 7800 HKD.

what's a one stop shop for this kinda stuff? i know nothing about hong kong. i presume IT group has buildings that stocks *jawnz* where is it?

also, i have an unlocked iphone 5. can i purchase a nano SIM that has a data plan? can i do this at the airport?

I have made two suits from WW Chan during my two trips to Hong Kong and they are unbelievable. Depending on fabric 10.5-12.5 HK range.

no sure about the nano SIM but yes, you can purchase a tourist SIM (with unlimited data) i got a micro-SIM earlier this year

HKIA arrivals, elevator to the right... up 1 to departures, go all the way straight then turn right. the counter is opp. Muji if i remember correctly, think it's OIOI (or the other way round?), they have a few plans avaliable

Edited by nachtelijk

no sure about the nano SIM but yes, you can purchase a tourist SIM (with unlimited data) i got a micro-SIM earlier this year

HKIA arrivals, elevator to the right... up 1 to departures, go all the way straight then turn right. the counter is opp. Muji if i remember correctly, think it's OIOI (or the other way round?), they have a few plans avaliable

1010 but yes any of those (i.e 3HK, Smartone, etc.) should have tourist plans on the cheap. Not sure about Nano sim but its hong kong so you're probably straight.