china :: hong kong :: general

hotboyx2

Hi all -- I'm a first time poster and new to this forum.  Read the thread back to mid-2014 but couldn't get the inputs I needed; perhaps the need for this community has been replaced by SuperTravel/Hong-Kong?

Anyways, still hoping to fill out my notes for an upcoming trip to HK this weekend (March 25 -- ??).  I live in NYC and I've been to HK twice (Jan 2016 and March 2009).   

Objective

Trying to maximize my time in HK discovering local / mainland fashion.  Looking to discover new brands and network a little bit.  

I'm not looking for a global luxury shopping mall (e.g. SG, KL, CGK, etc.) type of experience, nor am I looking for too many NYC/Tokyo/Seoul brands (live/recently visited/visiting next).  

Would love some feedback on my notes or some local contacts if anyone wants to hang, send me PM.

Current Notes - Boutiques

I.T. - this is kind of my HK (aspirational) benchmark in terms of aesthetic.  I am really looking for other stores like this with local (HK) or mainland designers at a slightly lower price points.

Croquis by JNBY - mainland brand in K11 that also has a Canadian presence.  Can’t find them in the US or anywhere else in HK besides K11.  Would like to find more places like this, with traditional Chinese patterns and shapes merged with but modern silhouettes and structures

Loading Store - streetwear / skateware, local HK designed.  Hope to find more like this

Take5 - denim shop, probably has other items - may be like Japanese Americana stores (a la Daikaynama boutiques)

Concept Shop - seems to have the standard international (Tokyo / NY) brands.  Perhaps something interesting / local here.  To be confirmed.

Initial -  appears to be a cafe / ice cream shop, but may also have some locally designed menswear.  To be confirmed

Kapok - French-founded HK brand that has multiple locations with different specialities.  The two stores that seem most interesting are (1) kapok TOOLS at harbour city (2013), a wide selection travel essentials and (2) kapok crafted in hong kong at PMQ(2014), focusing only on hong kong designers and brands.  

PMQ - described as Art Gallery, Arts & Crafts Store, and Design Studio, looks like it may have some other cool shops inside, such as:

• Phenotypsetter - looks exactly like the type of clothing I’m most interested in, hope to validate

• Harrison Wong - perhaps a bit more runway, tbd

• Design PQMaccessories / tee-shirts, perhaps curated by the organizer of the space

• Pomch - not sure if design studio or retail space

• Beyond Closet - Korean label

Other Lists

Also working on the following categories along with a map (didn't realize about the official superfuture map when I started working on mine):

• Shopping Centers / Malls
  • Department Stores
  • Tailoring
  • Food & Bev & Fun

Feedback

Much appreciated in any (constructive) way, shape or form.  Cheers!

Edited by _future_perfect

@_future_perfect

btw... we produce 3 guides for hk... and any of these should keep you busy...

pdf
https://superfuture.com/supershop/hong-kong-superguide
app
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hong-kong-superguide/id644058582?ls=1&mt=8
printed guide
https://superfuture.com/printed [they may still have stock left at kapok...]

@_future_perfect

PMQ is pretty expat centric IMO. but you'll find a lot of independent stores there - worth dropping by if youre in the area. If you want local shopping then stick to Kowloon side. I don't have any specific recommendations but areas like shum shui po, tai kok tsui, prince edward is what HK really is.

On 3/24/2017 at 4:24 PM, tm said:

@_future_perfect

PMQ is pretty expat centric IMO. but you'll find a lot of independent stores there - worth dropping by if youre in the area. If you want local shopping then stick to Kowloon side. I don't have any specific recommendations but areas like shum shui po, tai kok tsui, prince edward is what HK really is.

Thanks! For whatever reason, last time in Kowloon I seemed to keep stumbling into international brands only. I'll check your recommendations and report back 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm in HK currently.

The airport MTR express will take under 30 minutes each way and is pretty frequently serviced. You're taken to central station which is very short walk to the Island Line metro, from there you're just 3 stops away from Causeway bay (plenty to do there). Alternatively, instead of getting the Island line metro you could hop on a star ferry (worth doing in itself ) to TST.

In short, if you choose to go to HK you'll have plenty of options in a 9 hour window.

Edit: Bring an umbrella if you decide to go to HK, the heavens have opened.

Edited by H0r0

• 2 weeks later...

Plenty of ways to get fat in Hong Kong, least that's what the last couple of trips have been for me. 

Here's a shortlist: https://goo.gl/388UkN, forgot how I labelled them but stars are michelin starred, squares are must eats.

Everything in green were the spots we managed to eat in our last time over. GLHF

you stayed at tuve? i prob would have booked there if i was going solo, but ended up choosing hotel icon since it'll be me and the gf. she speaks native mandarin and almost-native cantonese, but can't read anything other than english. interestingly one of my ex's was the opposite (couldn't speak really but could read comfortably).

Edited by conqueror

The wife did on the last visit over. We usually end up in Marco Polo Gateway / Tuve / Upper House (it's a short hop from Manila). Language barriers shouldn't be an issue, never experienced it in all our times over. 

What are you guys looking to do? 

@conqueror that's strange and interesting. Check the list above, food is ridiculous around the city. Eater has a wider 38 listing guide of where to eat here, (their lists are always good, IMO). Can't help much in terms of sites though, we just do a "tour de stores" everytime we go in lieu of it. 

Agreed with all that.. if you are in TST, Caseuwaybay or LKF/ Central, you can hardly find a bad Resturant. Never had a bad meal.

other places that you miss is Star Street in Wanchai which you should get off at Admirty MTR station

• 2 weeks later...

there is a really incredible low key, old school local mall between nathan rd and tak hing st in jordan. crosses spectrum from streetwear to kitsch. many local brands/operations I believe. would be a gold mine if you were a drag queen, lots of great make up and cosmetics, price points are low.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, conqueror said:

we ended up going to ronin instead (think it's owned by the same people) - amazing!

so we ended up going to yardbird as well. same great service, but i think it paled in comparison to ronin in every other area. the price wasn't that different either.

just returned to australia after from an 8 day HK holiday. unfortunately we lost one entire day and night due to a T8 typhoon warning (entire city basically shut down), although we left the hotel to basically walk a lap and it didn't seem that bad. cannot fathom how MALLS close down in that, but regardless, we had an amazing trip and i couldn't help but automatically contrast it to singapore which i visited in may. ate at everywhere from local dim sum to michelin starred italian. i realised that i am melancholic leaving destinations these days, as i realise that realistically i am probably never going to visit them again due to time/money/wanting to travel to so many other locations. accomodation (hotel icon) was fantastic and sufu guide was pretty good too.

edit: have lots of coffee and food recommendations if needed.

Edited by conqueror

On 10/19/2017 at 2:53 PM, conqueror said:

just returned to australia after from an 8 day HK holiday. unfortunately we lost one entire day and night due to a T8 typhoon warning (entire city basically shut down), although we left the hotel to basically walk a lap and it didn't seem that bad. cannot fathom how MALLS close down in that, but regardless, we had an amazing trip and i couldn't help but automatically contrast it to singapore which i visited in may. ate at everywhere from local dim sum to michelin starred italian. i realised that i am melancholic leaving destinations these days, as i realise that realistically i am probably never going to visit them again due to time/money/wanting to travel to so many other locations. accomodation (hotel icon) was fantastic and sufu guide was pretty good too.

edit: have lots of coffee and food recommendations if needed.

I'm an aussie living in Hong Kong, would be interested to hear what you thought were the good coffee and food spots in hk..

I was the same, felt melancholic when heading home after my holidays in HK, then just decided to move here..

Edited by suprastar

4 hours ago, suprastar said:

I'm an aussie living in Hong Kong, would be interested to hear what you thought were the good coffee and food spots in hk..

I was the same, felt melancholic when heading home after my holidays in HK, then just decided to move here..

food highlights:

- 8 1/2 otto e mezzo bombana (even the bread basket is nuts. lots of rich pompous dickheads around though, which i guess is to be expected at a joint with 3 michelin stars)
- tin lung heen (crazy view + the best service i've ever experienced)
- mak un kee (shrimp wonton is absolutely incredible. pork wonton had a very weird texture to me which i didn't like)
- joy hing (i got the pork and gf ordered goose. lots of reviews say they are 'rude' but i found everyone very nice. super chaotic and zero room to move inside, though. was expecting tons of tourists because i think it was on bourdain's show, but no other whiteboys around)
- ronin (i don't drink but they have wilkinsons ginger ale so was happy. pleasantly surprised by not one but two eel options on the menu)
- yardbird (both yardbird and ronin have the same owners: preferred ronin. where ronin is pretty much a formal bar/wannabe izakaya with a seafood-focused menu, yardbird is more casual and revolves entirely around chicken. literally all the yardbird staff seemed like expats which was odd)
- din tai fung (i always try and visit a DTF wherever i go. always reliable. big fan)

coffee:

- elephant grounds (multiple locations, i went to mid-levels: very nice)
- cupping room (multiple locations as well, went to mid-levels. great coffee but super shitty service)
- omotesando koffee (amazing all-round)
- espresso alchemy (okay at best. store is in a weird location in the middle of a sports mall)
- n1 (okay again, shop was a bit grotty though)
- kubrick (surprisingly good, but i went there for the magazine selection as opposed to coffee)

buy the sufu guide and support the site too.

Edited by conqueror

• 1 year later...

I'm heading there in a few days. The posts in this thread are extremely helpful, thank you for them, and I'll be checking out what I can. Has anything worthwhile popped up in the past year or so? I don't drink, but am interested in most other stores, restaurants, cafes etc