china :: hong kong :: general

hotboyx2

Been here a few days now. with regards to the gym question, most of the ones in my area are super expensive for anything less than 6 months. I am also yet to encounter a park with any equipment suitable for exercise. I will content myself with the abundance of stairs that surround me in shueng wan. 

Was not aware that IT would stock so many smaller, underground labels (JW andersen, nasir mazhar, facetasm, christopher shannon, bazar). still yet to encounter any astrid andersen stock though. FIL at TST was dissapointing, yet to visit wan chai spot. PS7 is also not worth visiting. 

Was very impressed with harvey nichols representation of Wooyoungmi (and a host of other korean designers i've never heard of).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How's the retail prices in the Rick Owens HK store? Huge markups?

Will be travelling to HK soon and thinking of getting a couple of stuff in the store instead of online if the markups are reasonable.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

who has experience with clubbing/eating @ dragon-i in central

i have "connections" that can get me in easily, but i've heard great and terrible reviews (mostly from people who have trouble entering lol)

The whole of Wyndham/LKF has turned into a fucking zoo, making even Wan Chai look civilised.

My advice is to venture further into Soho, I dunno about clubs but there are some good speakeasies about these days.

Edited by broken_dubz

The whole of Wyndham/LKF has turned into a fucking zoo, making even Wan Chai look civilised.

My advice is to venture further into Soho, I dunno about clubs but there are some good speakeasies about these days.

yeah i heard about jaa bar off peel street a while back, i'm just out here looking for places to impress girls with next time i visit

yeah i heard about jaa bar off peel street a while back, i'm just out here looking for places to impress girls with next time i visit

Check Ronin off some side-street in Soho-towards Sheung Wan if you are looking to take a lady friend. Theres a killer BBQ place (85 South) there also, but probs not best to be shoveling down ribs if you are trying to impress a chick. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I would only go to Singapore if I was in Malaysia and wanted to kill a couple days. Beyond the hawker stands and a couple of tourist attractions (night zoo, a couple museums, ethnic quarters) it's pretty sterile and dull

HK is great and you can easily spend more than 7 days there, not only on tourist attractions but good bars, food and suff

I went in August and if you're used to Southern/South East Asian humidity and heat it's the same. Pretty brutal at first but not really a big deal and you get used to it fast

• 2 weeks later...

In terms of timing, a trip in September or October would be a lot more comfortable than coming here in the height of summer. By autumn, the humidity has dropped some and the weather can often be very nice. Still warm and sunny but dryer. 

There's definitely enough to fill seven days in HK. Can't say that of Singapore - as good as the satay sticks are.

• 2 weeks later...

hi - in HK for roughly six months for work, seeking recommendations on good places for spa/sauna/steams. options currently are a membership with pure and/or just going to men's bathhouses (as I am LGBT) - to be clear though I'm not looking for sex. staying HK island side. thx for any guidance.

• 7 months later...

sup hk peeps & enthusiasts,

gonna be passing through hong kong for 2 days in november... looking to see if anyone has recommendations on clubs/venues that are good rn. mostly trying to listen to various forms of non-EDM club music. seems like venues close down frequently out there, so i'm wondering what ppl living there think is currently good.

only places mentioned to me so far have been Volar and midnight&co. this place FLY looks like it could be cool – anybody been? Same with PLAY Club (only because they have some "hip hop/garage" night or some shit).

much appreciated

Depending on the specific night, Social Room can be quite good. Played there a few weeks back. Heiko Laux played last weekend, Lawrence has played in the past, if that gives any indication of the sound. It's upstairs, and doesn't have any signage, so can often be a little too empty. 

OMA might be one to keep an eye on, but the crowd can be a mixed bag. 

XXX in Tai Kok Tsui as well, but again, check the FB for a specific night before going. 

In Central there's a place called Basement which can occasionally have something cool. 

ALSO! there is a place in Fo Tan called Acadana. Basically a dude has taken the old (huge) soundsystem from Dragon-i and installed it in a small industrial space out there. I havent been there personally, but have heard great things. This is just happened, for example: https://www.facebook.com/events/161372780977254/

I would skip Volar, unless models and bottles are your thing.

On a seperate note, this was one of the best restaurants i've tried in HK (cheap too). They also just opened a location in Central: http://www.openrice.com/en/hongkong/r-yau-yuen-siu-tsui-jordan-shanxi-shan-noodles-rice-noodles-r185837

Edited by 034936

Depending on the specific night, Social Room can be quite good. Played there a few weeks back. Heiko Laux played last weekend, Lawrence has played in the past, if that gives any indication of the sound. It's upstairs, and doesn't have any signage, so can often be a little too empty. 

OMA might be one to keep an eye on, but the crowd can be a mixed bag. 

XXX in Tai Kok Tsui as well, but again, check the FB for a specific night before going. 

In Central there's a place called Basement which can occasionally have something cool. 

ALSO! there is a place in Fo Tan called Acadana. Basically a dude has taken the old (huge) soundsystem from Dragon-i and installed it in a small industrial space out there. I havent been there personally, but have heard great things. This is just happened, for example: https://www.facebook.com/events/161372780977254/

I would skip Volar, unless models and bottles are your thing.

On a seperate note, this was one of the best restaurants i've tried in HK (cheap too). They also just opened a location in Central: http://www.openrice.com/en/hongkong/r-yau-yuen-siu-tsui-jordan-shanxi-shan-noodles-rice-noodles-r185837

awesome, thanks for the recs my guy. XXX def sounds interesting. will check the FB pages for anything cool (and try to keep an eye out for anything at Acadana). may try to catch a d&b show at basement bar since it looks like the first place i've seen with bpm > 140

• 1 month later...