china :: hong kong :: general

hotboyx2

Heading to HK late January (last two weeks), which I hear is prime time for sales. Looking for mostly RO/Devoa/Julius etc etc, any recs? And what can I expect in terms of sales? My list is super outdated so I could use some help. Last time I was in HK was 2008. 

All i remember is: 

INK

Joyce

I.T.

D-Mop 

Lane Crawford @ IFC

I've heard of outlets for a lot of these shops that stock the brands I'm looking for, but can't really find any more info on them. 

Bar recs would be helpful too, preferably a younger crowd (early 20's or 30's), and less touristy. 

Edited by Method

Heading to HK late January (last two weeks), which I hear is prime time for sales. Looking for mostly RO/Devoa/Julius etc etc, any recs? And what can I expect in terms of sales? My list is super outdated so I could use some help. Last time I was in HK was 2008. 

All i remember is: 

INK

Joyce

I.T.

D-Mop 

Lane Crawford @ IFC

I've heard of outlets for a lot of these shops that stock the brands I'm looking for, but can't really find any more info on them. 

Bar recs would be helpful too, preferably a younger crowd (early 20's or 30's), and less touristy. 

http://butterboom.com/shopguide/top10s/guide-outlet-shopping-ap-lei-chau-part-1/

Sup SFers!

I'm working out in HK for the next 4 months and was looking for some recs if you all would be so kind.

*Cheap barber that speaks english (I'm sure that's asking a lot) but would like a 'hip' haircut and my beard trimmed for under $300hkd... 
Saw that Mandarin barber but its a bit much for me at the moment

*Any vintage / thrift stores, but nothing high end just where I can pick up some cool knick nacks and threads for the time being

* Any legit tailors to trust my jawnz with

I'm also down to meet up/ hit some bars/ b-ball

Going to UMO tomorrow and Darkside in April

mmmm goi 

• 2 weeks later...

Visiting for 2 weeks. What are some of the best places to get hair products here? (pomades, clays, sprays etc.)

Looking for both salon grade products (runway type stuff), as well as Asia market products (stuff I can't get otherwise), for guys.

I normally use stuff from Oribe. Just wanted to hear any recs you guys may have.

Found a pretty cool spot for a haircut. 

The place is called Visage One, owned by Benky. Basically its a one seat salon during the week, and on Sat night he turns the space into a music meetup for local artists. $500 for a cut.

http://thelist.com.hk/city-living/article/visage-one-hair-salon-slash-jazz-bar-hong-kong

The one in Landmark has a guy called "KlipperKem" running it. He seems like a well trained Western barber. Been following his IG so might give him a try for my next cut.

• 2 weeks later...

Doogs, can't remember the name of it but on the bottom floor of Landmark there was 1 or 2 shops that looked like they had some high end hair shit

It's in central.    12-16 Des Voeux Road Central, Central â€Ž

Thanks.  Popped in to take a look on my last day there.  Choice of Philip B, Bumble and Bumble, Rahua, in terms of styling products.  The rest were haircare products.

The haircut salon/barbershop is actually Gentlemen's Tonic.  They had a bunch of shaving products.  They have a small selection of hair products:

http://www.gentlemenstonic.com/categories/Haircare-%26-Styling/

Didn't find anything else while I was there.  What is everyone using/getting their stuff?

On a side note, retail seems to have grown exponentially since my my last visit 4 years ago.  EEeerbody spending (probably not locals).  It was almost disturbing to see almost everything turn into a Vegas type mall.

Edited by doogle

Thanks.  Popped in to take a look on my last day there.  Choice of Philip B, Bumble and Bumble, Rahua, in terms of styling products.  The rest were haircare products.

The haircut salon/barbershop is actually Gentlemen's Tonic.  They had a bunch of shaving products.  They have a small selection of hair products:

http://www.gentlemenstonic.com/categories/Haircare-%26-Styling/

Didn't find anything else while I was there.  What is everyone using/getting their stuff?

On a side note, retail seems to have grown exponentially since my my last visit 4 years ago.  EEeerbody spending (probably not locals).  It was almost disturbing to see almost everything turn into a Vegas type mall.

80% shoppers on Canton Road (flagship stores on the Kowloon side) are tourist from the mainland, its insane.

Sup SFers!

I'm working out in HK for the next 4 months and was looking for some recs if you all would be so kind.

*Cheap barber that speaks english (I'm sure that's asking a lot) but would like a 'hip' haircut and my beard trimmed for under $300hkd... 

Saw that Mandarin barber but its a bit much for me at the moment

*Any vintage / thrift stores, but nothing high end just where I can pick up some cool knick nacks and threads for the time being

* Any legit tailors to trust my jawnz with

I'm also down to meet up/ hit some bars/ b-ball

Going to UMO tomorrow and Darkside in April

mmmm goi 

theBarbershop in LKF (like right after the oysters's street, it's 280HKD, only western customers, vintage shop, very cool. (idk how much is it with a trim)

I may go to Darkside too, went to see Skream yesterday, it was good but first part was shit, and the people inside weren't very nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone knows how's the range of Nike shoes in hk? Flyknits, lunar, free etc.

I was trying to pick up some flynits too, after going around Sogo and other places the best place is Mong Kok.

There is a couple blocks just for shoes, store after store after store.  Only select retailers can sell flyknits but all have lunars and frees.   Also its cheaper here, just be warned it will be overcrowded to the point of ridiculousness, albeit that is all of Hong Kong.

Called Fa Yuen street, but most ppl will know sneaker street if you ask too.

Anything going down for st patricks day? Trying to decide if i should fly in sunday morning or monday morning...

Edit: nevermind, had to take one for the job. Will be there monday morning, down to booze if anybody has plans. 

Edited by Fycus

I was trying to pick up some flynits too, after going around Sogo and other places the best place is Mong Kok.

There is a couple blocks just for shoes, store after store after store.  Only select retailers can sell flyknits but all have lunars and frees.   Also its cheaper here, just be warned it will be overcrowded to the point of ridiculousness, albeit that is all of Hong Kong.

Called Fa Yuen street, but most ppl will know sneaker street if you ask too.

Sweet thanks. Just curious, how much are the flyknits/lunars/frees?

Thanks Sugar, pause, I'll check out Take5

Sweet thanks. Just curious, how much are the flyknits/lunars/frees?

Flynits were like 1200ish HKD, Lunars ranged from 600-1000HKD, Frees were 500-1000HKD depending on which model and style.   Didnt see the lunar flynits out yet so dont know on that.

It seemed anything but flynits you can find at a less official store for cheaper than retail.

If you happen to find the Lunarglide 5 Camo in Grey/blue sz12, I will pay you well, I spent 3 hours searching before.  

http://solecollector.com/news/nike-lunarglide-5-ext-camo-1/

Edited by DeForel

Thanks Sugar, pause, I'll check out Take5

Flynits were like 1200ish HKD, Lunars ranged from 600-1000HKD, Frees were 500-1000HKD depending on which model and style.   Didnt see the lunar flynits out yet so dont know on that.

It seemed anything but flynits you can find at a less official store for cheaper than retail.

If you happen to find the Lunarglide 5 Camo in Grey/blue sz12, I will pay you well, I spent 3 hours searching before.  

http://solecollector.com/news/nike-lunarglide-5-ext-camo-1/

next to impossible to find 12s here lol

quick impressions

Lung King Heen was excellent for lunch

Going out for dinner, drinking is so much cheaper than Manhattan

Cantonese gets you better treatment, at least for me

Really great experience getting a suit made at Dream Bespoke, Ricky Kwan really went out of his way to make me and my crew welcome, made the suit making process fun, and helped with our stay in HK.

Really hard to get white girls to like dai pai dong

My friend went on six dates while in hk using Tinder

So much easier to get a good cup of coffee in HK than it is in Tokyo

Mainlanders swarm like 28 Days Later

HK Girls are smaller than J Girls, my wife has trouble finding clothes that fit even in Iseitan Strawberry section found clothes that fit everywhere in HK

Famous Tokyo Sushi places are 2-3x more expensive in HK lolz, skip that

Suprised HK ppl are more polite than Tokyo ppl during rush hour

My wife injured at least 4 mainlanders trying to cut her on line