china :: hong kong :: general

hotboyx2

Sorry I missed your replies.

I bought a rechargeable nano sim from hutchison. 190 hkd . Unlimited data and call for four days.

I went to a location near IFC . Good customer service. I arrived too late to get one at the airport.

I liked Hong Kong. Will visit again if I get another chance.

Hi and thank you for your reply - I just talk to my programme leader and there is a different way I can take - spend just one semester in HK (at Poly U) and then find an internship/work experience in HK for a year. So we talk now about going in 2014 (early for at least maybe a year and half). That's early but as you said if it is so expensive I prefer to be sure about every cost + Poly U wants application in advance!

I want definitely share a flat or a house, thanks a lot for your website i'll have a look!

I wanted to not spend more than HKD 6000 (without bills - maybe I could go up to 8000? If we share I think it's enough to find something no?)

if you share a flat and u dont let some agent make a fool out of you, you definitely wont pay more than 6000hkd incl. bills.

when i came here i shared a flat in Mong Kok and paid 4200hkd each month incl all bills. there are numerous flats throughout hkg where you can just rent a room itself from a company and share the flat with other people ... no contract over a fixed rent period is needed and you are not responsible for anything except your room (they also have a maid that cleans the flat twice a week). its not the cheapest thing you can get, but definitely the easiest. i remember some friends who lived in a place like this before paid around 5000hkd/month. if you move to hkg check websites like craigslist hkg or the ones i noted before, there will be many offers like this.

okay, confirmed to spend my NYE in HK again this year..

also gonna tee up some interviews to try get a job.. wish me luck

good luck! but take care when having an interview in companies over here.

I assume that you dont have a working visa for HKG and usually they dont accept any job applications if you dont have one. the policy here is that the employer needs to explain why they want to hire a foreigner and not a local (the immigration dept assumes that you steal a job from a local person) and it can be quite difficult to get a working visa. if you apply in HKG directly you will usually be treated like a HKG Chinese employee - that means:

same salary

same working conditions (annual leave days available, overtime working hours not paid, no housing allowance, no free flights back home, etc.)

my advice is, in case you are not a HK resident, try to find a job in your homecountry that requires you to be sent to HKG. the conditions are much better, you get more money and you dont even have to pay any rent usually. HKG is not a nice place to live if youre broke.

good luck! but take care when having an interview in companies over here.

I assume that you dont have a working visa for HKG and usually they dont accept any job applications if you dont have one. the policy here is that the employer needs to explain why they want to hire a foreigner and not a local (the immigration dept assumes that you steal a job from a local person) and it can be quite difficult to get a working visa. if you apply in HKG directly you will usually be treated like a HKG Chinese employee - that means:

same salary

same working conditions (annual leave days available, overtime working hours not paid, no housing allowance, no free flights back home, etc.)

my advice is, in case you are not a HK resident, try to find a job in your homecountry that requires you to be sent to HKG. the conditions are much better, you get more money and you dont even have to pay any rent usually. HKG is not a nice place to live if youre broke.

I can say from personal experience that unless you are an ibanker, it's pretty difficult to get a job in HK if you are not an HK resident. As downtilimunderground says, it's better to get a job at home and get sent to HK with an expat package. Then you can live it up. Other than that, it's pretty depressing living in HK with low salary, long hours, working half days on Saturdays, and slowly rising costs as mainlanders buy everything up.

I'm a US citizen, but I did end up working in HK for a summer at HK Disneyland. I had a specific talent that no local HK person had, so HKDL hired me and took care of my work visa and everything. Before that, I had a very hard time trying to get a job there, especially since I couldn't speak Cantonese.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hi all, need some recommendations on some places of interest in HK.

im not talking about the usual touristy stuff. but anything unique or interesting.

from museums to retail to art spaces, hotels, restaurants, clubs, architecture, exhibitions.

stuff like that. things out of the ordinary.

thanks in advance!!

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys need some help. a friend will be going to kowloon on the 2nd and im asking him to get me some htm flyknits. anyone know where specifically to go?

for special kicks and shit check mong kok- there are two shops worth visiting, chicago and toronto, both stock up some rare nikes, jordans and chicago got some visvims.

can also check samplekickz in tst.you can get them three shop's address on the web.

not sure if they stock htm flyknit tho- as far as im concerned chukka flyknits are around HKD4000 for bigger sizes on yahoo auction, and for htm flyknits trainer its around HTM6000.

can message those sellers on yahoo auction hk and see if they ship them.

does hk have a good designer vintage (women's stuff also ok) scene like in tokyo?

check luddite, workwear-vintage, retrostone and midwest-vintage in causeway bay, as well as solid state in tst.

its not as good as tko but its growing, tho it remains as something low-key, something niche.

• 1 month later...

Guys do those area Ho Man Tin and Hung Hom have a good nightlife/shops/..... ? I'm probably gonna live there for at least a semester.

nah not really, just malls and stuff. For clubbing and bars you have to go to TST or hk island. It's not like its far away though.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys do those area Ho Man Tin and Hung Hom have a good nightlife/shops/..... ? I'm probably gonna live there for at least a semester.

Got a few bars and stuff, but not appealing. NIghtlife is mostly in mongkok/tst/central/wanchai/causeway bay, depends on the way you want it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well after like 2 years on and off looking, I managed to get myself a job in HK. Will be moving there around the end of August.

Looks like a few other SFers are moving there too. Lets meet up sometime for a drink!

My job is in Kwai Hing and initially i'll be staying in Tuen Mun, but looking to find my own apartment after a couple of months. Recommendations on which locations to look in?

Well after like 2 years on and off looking, I managed to get myself a job in HK. Will be moving there around the end of August.

Looks like a few other SFers are moving there too. Lets meet up sometime for a drink!

My job is in Kwai Hing and initially i'll be staying in Tuen Mun, but looking to find my own apartment after a couple of months. Recommendations on which locations to look in?

if you wanna live close to where you work id suggest the cheung sha wan/lai king area ... very big and relatively new property developments at "reasonable" prices

the sheung wan / soho area of course is great when it comes to restaurants, bars, galleries, etc. but if you work in kwai hing it would take quite long to get to work

i lived in yuen long before and worked in tsuen wan and i also found it quite convenient! low rent, cheap food and very quiet and green in some areas & if you live close to the MTR station it only takes you 30mins to TST

what i cannot recommend for a not chinese person is to move to these villages in the NT, made some pretty bad experiences there myself. as a "gweilo" u better live in the urban areas