china :: hong kong :: general

hotboyx2

heard there are some 'factory outlets' with discounted clothing. worth a shot? went to those in the US, loved some of them.

went to tung chung outlet center 2 weeks ago. and yes it definitely is worth a visit. the levis store had quite a lot lvc stuff at ridiculous prices, same goes for the huge i.t outlet shop there. its a bit of hassle to dig through the tons of stuff there, but the prices and the selection of the clothing make it worth it in my opinion; also try the i.t outlet in tst (silvercord shopping center)

Edited by downtilimunderground

went to tung chung outlet center 2 weeks ago. and yes it definitely is worth a visit. the levis store had quite a lot lvc stuff at ridiculous prices, same goes for the huge i.t outlet shop there. its a bit of hassle to dig through the tons of stuff there, but the prices and the selection of the clothing make it worth it in my opinion; also try the i.t outlet in tst (silvercord shopping center)

the silvercord location is back?

yes been there last week. find it on the highest floor where ruby tuesdays and din tai fung is.

yup where it used to be

thanks for the headsup! lol dont wander over to silvercord much after IT outlet and APC moved......

you living here or you here to visit?

2 weeks wait for caprice and 1 month for Lung King Heen? wtffff

shudda made reservations be4 i went...

Tim Ho Wan's Cha Siu Baos is realllly good...

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Three friends and I will be heading to HK at the end of the month.

I've downloaded the sufu guide and have a reasonable idea of where I want to go. However, being in the hospitality industry myself I am also looking for anywhere that really breaks the rules any bars or espresso places that are doing things a little differently really.

We will be there from august the 30th to the 3rd of September.

thu

fri

sat

sun

mon

nights.

It would greatly appreciated if a local could steer us in the right way for something to do on those particular nights. One thing the sufu guide lacked was nightclub advice. Any recommendations for the trendy/arty 20 year olds?

Just got back, food thoughts:

Bo Innovation: Went there for lunch, kind of disappointing, only 1 dish stood out for me, even the better executed dishes were abit too simple for a restaurant that prides itself in Molecular gastronomy

Fook Lam Moon: Everything we had was solid, crispy roast chicken was one of the best I've ever had. Duck tongue was delicious. Service was great too, apparently a good place to spot celebs? Food was pricey

Liberty Private works: Incredible value for money(9 course prix fixe?), food wasn't really spectacular, but 1-2 dishes really hit home. Fine dining plates in a pretty chilled out bar environment, would recommend to friends and will return when the menu is refreshed

The Chairman: I thought this was going to be fine dining but it wasn't, lots of locals in the restaurant when I was there, seemed like a place to have a good family meal. Served good (traditional?) cantonese food, crab dish stood out but was overpriced for what you got, everything else was reasonably priced. Would return

Lung King Heen: Went there on the weekend for dim sum, I think this was the best meal for me, and I spent $300hkd per pax so it was cheapest among the michelin meals. Abalone tart was bomb, tart base was crumbling in your fingers as you picked it up. 1-2 dim sum items were mediocre but the rest were all good. Will return for sure

Amber: Went for the weekend lunch prix fixe with wine pairing, again incredible value for what youre getting. They were generous with the wine, I didn't think the food was that good though

Robuchon Atelier: Actually preferred this meal over Au Dome in Macau(same trip), I think Im getting tired of long meals. No complaints, set lunches always present great value at the Atelier. HK is one of the cheapest locations to have this apparently?

Non fine dining:

Tim Ho Wan: I went to the Mongkok branch with the star in January, waited 2.5 hours for a table. Never again, I went back 3 times during my trip, twice to Sham Shui Po and once to the branch in IFC. I think the food is better at Sham Shui Po, the glutinous rice wrapped in leaf was noticeably softer in the SSP branch, Cha siew paos are still great, $5hkd a pop, cant be beat.

Tai Cheong: Theres a couple of branches for the infamous egg tarts, just go to the original one in Central(near LKF), apparently theres really good ones in Wan Chai too but I never got round to trying it

Kau Kee beef brisket noodles: Worth going and worth the wait, had the clear soup(Original) and the curry, really enjoyed the curry, wasn't heavy at all, small enough bowl to have as a snack

Australian Dairy Company: Im not crazy about this because the scrambled eggs are loaded with butter, but my friend is, worth visiting if you've never tried I guess

Butao Ramen: Some hole in the wall ramen joint that sells 200 bowls a day and closes? They had pretty fancy flavors like olive oil, I had the squid ink ramen, soup base was pretty thick, tasted good to me but Im not a ramen connoisseur so it'd be interesting to hear what someone who is thinks about the place.

Yardbird: Fucking love this place, really good bar food, albeit somewhat pricey. Chicken oysters were incredible, but sell out fast. Chicken hearts were good too. Korean fried cauliflower was one of my favs, I liked the corn tempura and mushroom rice as well. Went back a second time to eat more stuff.

Quinary: A Molecular gastronomy bar, serving modernist cocktails, I thought this was all smoke and mirrors until i saw a distillator in the bar area. I only had 2 drinks, one I cant remember what it was, but it had spherified caviar, interesting texture to have in a cocktail. The other was a wasabi-vodka, wasabi and horseradish put into the distillator to extract a clear liquid, then mixed with vodka, this tasted incredible.

Angels place: Whiskey bar owned by the same owner as Quinary, really chilled out atmosphere, pretty classy crowd, nowhere near as rowdy as some of the shitty bars in LKF. The owner of the place has a wine bar but I cant remember the name of the place now. Can imagine drew would like the place

Cant say I did much shopping, it's sales period now so most places are on sale. IT was disappointing, for some reason their retail prices seem really jacked up, $500sgd for a pair of Acne jeans? Selection was much better at Lane crawford.

Clubs... I went to about 4-5, cant really remember some of the names.

Fly was terrible, more packed that Singapore clubs, but I went there during the yardbird anniversary so maybe thats why it was pretty shit.

Azure has a good mix of gwai lous and locals, tables and sofas in the dance area is fucking annoying though.

Prive is supposed to be HK's version of Filter, but it didnt seem that exclusive when I got in(Although I was there with a banker friend who got me in), I was pretty drunk at this point but I think the girls here were pretty good

I went to one more club that is new, had to go up a flight of stairs, honestly cant remember the name of the place but I remember being quite impressed

• 2 weeks later...

Anywhere in particular on HK island good for buying sunglasses?

Probably looking for Persol's.

there are optical shops all over like puyi optical that sell higher end sunglasses. also department stores like seibu will probably have a good selection

if you go to hong kong, eat at tsui wah - it's like a 24hr chinese dennys on steroids, cheap and utterly delicious - you can find them pretty much anywhere you end up thinking "man i could go for some food right now"

LOL dennys on steroids.

portions are small tho but yeah Tsui Wah won't disappoint if you are looking for a quick eat 5am in the morning. usually more than 1 location around the busier districts (CWB, TST, CENTRAL, WANCHAI, MK etc.)

anyone in HK that knows when the flyknit's will launch and which store? cheers!

Follow Nike Sportswear Hong Kong on Facebook. I don't read Chinese, but it looks like Juice has the HTM ones and the Nike store in TST should be getting them soon if they don't have them already

Follow Nike Sportswear Hong Kong on Facebook. I don't read Chinese, but it looks like Juice has the HTM ones and the Nike store in TST should be getting them soon if they don't have them already

thanks for the heads up with following NSW HK on FB, Landy.

also to answer the question which Landy alluded to already, they posted 8/23 as the release date for 1199 HKD at NSW stores. In terms of location, you could try Nike store in TST across from Miramar or NSW in Harbour City ? CWB has a great NSW store too.

p.s. Poof, you heading to Hong Kong again?

Edited by tm