china :: hong kong :: general

hotboyx2

cchen and tm, how old are you guys if you don't mind me asking? (PM if you'd prefer)

I went back this christmas and last May, and many of my friends has now moved back.. so it's really tempting for me to move back as well.. but thing is i just started this new job for 7 months, and i dunno if i wanna give this up so soon for hongkong

what are you doing in HK if you dont mind me asking ? PM if you dont want to broadcast it.

also moved back to HK from North America and im loving it

currently doing apparel sourcing / product development. managing about $25MM in business

27 years old

just wondering if anyone know how long sale season in hk runs for?

going there end of this month. went early jan for the last 2 trips ..

its been a while since i've been there in a non-holiday time. but i think most sales will be done by the time you're there. usually there's all the sales before chinese new year bc the tradition of having to have something "new" for new years. the shops close and open back up and then operate normally. then the sales don't happen again til july-august. i could be wrong tho.

man this thread gets really dead once christmas & new years passes. lol

• 2 weeks later...

Last 2 nights in HK. Had a semi-fun night in LKF on Friday and a hilarious drunken mess of one last night in Sheung Wan. What to do Monday/Tuesday night? Can and will travel around, my hotel is at Jordan. However, being a Londoner, my usual flex is pubs, sketchy bars and grimy clubs, none of this polished club bollocks. Any suggestions?

Last 2 nights in HK. Had a semi-fun night in LKF on Friday and a hilarious drunken mess of one last night in Sheung Wan. What to do Monday/Tuesday night? Can and will travel around, my hotel is at Jordan. However, being a Londoner, my usual flex is pubs, sketchy bars and grimy clubs, none of this polished club bollocks. Any suggestions?

Wan chai mate. Many of British style pubs there that date back to the colonial days. Head to Carnegie and walk around from there. But Monday and Tuesday's might be pretty quiet. Fairly easy to get back to Jordan late at night since the tunnel is right by there. Cab fare should be 60-70 HKD

For those with the lady problems already accounted for, are there any good food blog sites run by local Hong Kong folk? Something more tangible versus what's shown on Travel And Living. Im interested on going to Tim Ho Wan, but they never say things like "get there at 9 otherwise you wont have a table anymore".

Also, any art shows, museums to check out?

For those with the lady problems already accounted for, are there any good food blog sites run by local Hong Kong folk? Something more tangible versus what's shown on Travel And Living. Im interested on going to Tim Ho Wan, but they never say things like "get there at 9 otherwise you wont have a table anymore".

Also, any art shows, museums to check out?

its like a 3 hour wait for tim ho wan either way. they have a good system though (take a number and return at a certain time) so it's not like you have to stand there

post-Bourdain, I'm expecting it to feel more tourist trap than anything now.

That's what I heard as well, but save 1 or two sporadic english reviews on openrice saying otherwise.

who cares?

tim ho wan is there to stuff you with good dim sum for cheap.. not for ambience, service quality etc.

but if you must succumb to your inner hypocritical elitist then you can easily find 10 other dim sum restaurants that serve similar quality food with with less gwai los by using openrice

u won't get this though

231074_10150180171308461_514228460_6956819_445064_n.jpg

Edited by bryanayrb

who cares?

tim ho wan is there to stuff you with good dim sum for cheap.. not for ambience, service quality etc.

but if you must succumb to your inner hypocritical elitist then you can easily find 10 other dim sum restaurants that serve similar quality food with with less gwai los by using openrice

u won't get this though

231074_10150180171308461_514228460_6956819_445064_n.jpg

i agree. hands down, it's the best char siu bao i've ever had in my life.

for those that haven't been to THW, i have been to two of the locations. the one in mongkok is the original. very small location so the wait is very long. the place opens at 10am. i got there at 9am and there was already a line up of 20 people or so. missed the first wave of people, so i had to wait another hour or so. it isn't so bad. you can actually leave and come back and the lady doesn't trip so much. but that could have changed. if you go with a small group (like two people lol) then its easier to get seated. i guess the wait and the small location is part of the 'experience'.

the second location in sham shui po is the one that was on bourdain's layover. i went there with my moms at 11am on a weekday and there was no wait at all. the taste was pretty much the same as the mongkok location. from now on, i'll probably go to this location when i'm in HK so i don't have to wait.

there's a third location in the IFC mall that just opened up but i heard it wasn't as good. can't say for myself.

you could say it's a tourist trap since it was on a tv show, but plenty of locals still go there. HK ppl take dim sum pretty seriously. lol.

• 2 weeks later...

hong kong MUST DO's for culture FEEN eat, shop, see, photog, fashion, party of course

any list out there or advice? please let me know

or better yet you can show me around!

ps. this site needs a iphone app

thanks!

its pretty much been discussed in detail throughout this thread. just look back a few pages

read the past couple of pages. diddn't knew there was some sort of 'segregation' between foreign born chinese and local born chinese. haha. am from singapore. speak perfect english, but can't speak canto for nuts. except diu ley lo mo.

anyway, any big events of sort happening late july? short trip, 4 days long. mainly to catch Arsenal in HK. heard it's gonna be hot as f*ck. also, heard that it is some sort of holiday over in china in late july? don't really wanna see a flock of chinese mainlanders in HK. enough of them in singapore.

read the past couple of pages. diddn't knew there was some sort of 'segregation' between foreign born chinese and local born chinese. haha. am from singapore. speak perfect english, but can't speak canto for nuts. except diu ley lo mo.

anyway, any big events of sort happening late july? short trip, 4 days long. mainly to catch Arsenal in HK. heard it's gonna be hot as f*ck. also, heard that it is some sort of holiday over in china in late july? don't really wanna see a flock of chinese mainlanders in HK. enough of them in singapore.

i think you'll handle the heat just fine if your coming from SG.......the heat over ther s a lot worse than HK is what i heard