china :: hong kong :: general

hotboyx2

could do better elsewhere.

suggestions? i don't have any but beijing gets so rammed to the pt. that you'll have a hard time maneuvering around....and i dont like that lol

yeh i've been to beijing club. tm is right that the place gets packed with people. but that's pretty much a facet of every single HK club except the more exclusive dragon-i and volar. i don't know why they get like that bc in the back of my mind i always think that if there's a fire, everyone is completely fuct. lol. beijing club has multiple floors so that does help alleviate some of the crowding.

although its gotten a bit better over the last couple of years, don't really expect much from the hk clubbing scene. they always play dated music (which i get since HK has no real options for knowing what's popular), it's like 60-70% dudes in the crowd, and its super crowded. so you gotta take it for what it is. all the places are pretty much the same to me.

when i was there last year i went to beijing club, prive, and kee club. had a good time at all those places. we also checked out this lounge azure. super nice bc of the gorgeous view.

Wheres azure at?

No point in goin inside the clubs anyways, since most ppl are outside smoking and drinking. And yeah, last time I went to LKF most of them are dudes :wacko:

once you reach the top of lkf, head to the lkf tower and take the elevator to the top. i popped in during new years w my lady friend since we were bar/club hopping. there was no cover and they were playin a mix of house and hiphop. not sure whats going on this year. but if no cover, why not?

just from the sheer vertical nature of HK, there are tons of amazing rooftop bars with spectacular views. sevva, aqua, cocky bar are all cool chill spots for non-nye nights. they'll usually have a minimum drink limit like you have to spend 120 hkd per person or something like that.

Throw bills at them lol

(null)

+1. ahahahhaa.

to suprastar, i dunno. i've never really had an issue. just start talking and go from there. usually they enjoy the attention bc local hk guys aren't really that assertive. people just don't really go up to each other at clubs and start talking. a lot of times i'd see guys just dancing in a group with each other at clubs. lol. i think the preferred mode of how HK people meet are going to bars and playing the multitude of elaborate drinking games. with my local HK friends, they get confused that americans just go to bars to just talk. they're like what?! no games?! lol. drinking games are like a social lubricant there.

compared to japan and thailand though, i think they're much more sexually repressed and a bit more conservative in some ways. just look at how awful HK's cantopop music is. it's either a song about missing someone, being in deep puppy love, or being broken up. and all the stars are all squeaky clean looking. but then on the flipside, the whole city is dotted with brothels, saunas, and massage parlours. so i just don't get it.

+1. ahahahhaa.

to suprastar, i dunno. i've never really had an issue. just start talking and go from there. usually they enjoy the attention bc local hk guys aren't really that assertive. people just don't really go up to each other at clubs and start talking. a lot of times i'd see guys just dancing in a group with each other at clubs. lol. i think the preferred mode of how HK people meet are going to bars and playing the multitude of elaborate drinking games. with my local HK friends, they get confused that americans just go to bars to just talk. they're like what?! no games?! lol. drinking games are like a social lubricant there.

compared to japan and thailand though, i think they're much more sexually repressed and a bit more conservative in some ways. just look at how awful HK's cantopop music is. it's either a song about missing someone, being in deep puppy love, or being broken up. and all the stars are all squeaky clean looking. but then on the flipside, the whole city is dotted with brothels, saunas, and massage parlours. so i just don't get it.

they WIN! they succeed getting you into thinkin that! LOL its all a front IMO. HK girls are just as "crazy" but they just dont like to speak upon it...........i dont think theyre repressed per say and the LOCAL ones that venture to LKF are just probably as easy to catch. i emphasize that because i reckon that there's a lot of "bananas" at LKF. so yeah any girls going to LKF whether be local or bananas, i dont think you'll have a problem. like landy said, just be assertive because local guys won't be lol

not all hk beezy's be uptight... yeah a lot of them wont talk to you if u aint got crib in mid levels and aint driving SLK... but all the others be down to fuck if you pop bottles and supply lines of coke...

yeah we'll have no problems being assertive.. as that's what we are used to doing in our clubs.. girls here, especially aussie girls are hell easy to start chatting to. but fuck, theres a club called metros (where all the asians go) and every girl there thinks they are the queen or something.. if you so much as stand too close to them they straight away put up defenses.. these are usually average looking chinese or hongkies as well..

yeah we'll have no problems being assertive.. as that's what we are used to doing in our clubs.. girls here, especially aussie girls are hell easy to start chatting to. but fuck, theres a club called metros (where all the asians go) and every girl there thinks they are the queen or something.. if you so much as stand too close to them they straight away put up defenses.. these are usually average looking chinese or hongkies as well..

well your problem in oz is that you're already local. i had no issues when i was in australia, but i'm chinese american so i have an american accent. at a bare minimum, if you're visiting another place and start talking to the women there, they'll usually chat with you bc you're already different from the normal, local guys bc you're from out of town. you'll have no probs in hk, esp with an oz accent. the real question is whether or not you'll find HK women attractive enough to talk to lollll. not to dog my own peoples, bc it's getting better.. but yehh... don't expect a lot comin from oz.

jws, yeah mate I'm from Perth.. you too im guessing? sup bro

hmm i have a thing for japanesey girls, hk girls don't seem to quite cut it.. but having said that i've never really been to hk for any sort of real partying.. (the last two times have been for funerals).. so I can I only comment from what i've seen in malls/markets/restaurants etc.. my aussie mate who got a job there a few months ago will be taking us around, and we're meeting one of our thai friends there who is a model, looking forward to using her as a wingwoman hehe. our group has a good mixture, so if anyone wants to party up then just PM me

i'm similar to you in a way then landy, was brought up in New Zealand and Aus, parents from HK. its funny how people there can tell straight away you're "ABC" even though u have the black hair and gook eyes. i've had countless store people ask if i work out, even though ill be considered a small guy in aus lol

christmas spending is eating into my holiday savings.. might have cut down on the shopping and focus on the going out :(

Edited by suprastar

jws, yeah mate I'm from Perth.. you too im guessing? sup bro

hmm i have a thing for japanesey girls, hk girls don't seem to quite cut it.. but having said that i've never really been to hk for any sort of real partying.. (the last two times have been for funerals).. so I can I only comment from what i've seen in malls/markets/restaurants etc.. my aussie mate who got a job there a few months ago will be taking us around, and we're meeting one of our thai friends there who is a model, looking forward to using her as a wingwoman hehe. our group has a good mixture, so if anyone wants to party up then just PM me

i'm similar to you in a way then landy, was brought up in New Zealand and Aus, parents from HK. its funny how people there can tell straight away you're "ABC" even though u have the black hair and gook eyes. i've had countless store people ask if i work out, even though ill be considered a small guy in aus lol

christmas spending is eating into my holiday savings.. might have cut down on the shopping and focus on the going out :(

haha good luck tryin not to shop in hk. at least the food is cheap. have fun in hk mate. if you ever have time, you should take the train out to guangzhou. its a very interesting party scene there bc the factories fly models in from all over to model their textiles.

i won't be into hk until well after new years. let me kno what spots your visited and whats poppin.

since we are on the hongkie girls topic, a couple of fds and I are throwing a party on boxing day. For those who havent planned out their monday evening and interested in meeting some hongkie girl, you're invited!

thenightafterchristmas.jpg

all you can drink | oysters | finger food hongkie style | 500 hongkies for guys | 450 hongkies for girls | some degree of cantonese mandatory | PM for details

Edited by chin.lamb

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

well i just landed back home after an epic 3 weeks.

things i found:

I want to move to and live in HK

china is FUCKEN cold

chinese mainlanders are not nice

clubbing sucks in china

how was everyone elses NYE?

hope you had a good time mate. i spent new years in tokyo at one of the biggest clubs in japan, ageha. it was actually pretty nuts. i think there had to have been 20,000+ people in the place.

glad you had a good time in HK. try visiting there in the summer time though and see if you still want to move there. its so stanking ass humid. it's disgusting. lol. i spent only 3 days in HK, but had a good time. hit up prive and tanzania bar a few of the nights. did some more chill stuff the other days. i actually noticed HK getting douchier for sure though. lol

hope you had a good time mate. i spent new years in tokyo at one of the biggest clubs in japan, ageha. it was actually pretty nuts. i think there had to have been 20,000+ people in the place.

glad you had a good time in HK. try visiting there in the summer time though and see if you still want to move there. its so stanking ass humid. it's disgusting. lol. i spent only 3 days in HK, but had a good time. hit up prive and tanzania bar a few of the nights. did some more chill stuff the other days. i actually noticed HK getting douchier for sure though. lol

haha funny looking back about the stuff we talked about regarding hk girls before our trips.. because I actually met a hk girl on nye and she's pretty cool. different to most hk girls i've met..

i didn't spend much time in hk actually.. went to soho for nye, spent the next day in bed in my hotel after eating some dodgy MK food, walked the avenue of stars with the girl, other 2 days shopped around central and tst. i realised im too poor to afford anything in lane crawford so i just bought a bunch of shit from I.T haha. i bought heaps of thermals from uniqlo, but even that was not enough for the beijing weather. also bought a shades of grey parka from aegis in Shanghai, which is a really cool shop.

oh have you been to central when all the phillipinos come and hang out there? it was seriously weird, like we walked into a twilight zone when we got lost and walked into a mall filled with all middle aged philipino woman..

i hated the table and bottle style of chinese clubbing. its so fucken pretentious and all about who has more money. and wtf its like every single chinaman/woman likes to wear puffy and shiny jackets with a fake ass moncler or northface logo on it.

dont think ive been to ageha, but last time i went to womb, gaspanic and a tiny hip hop joint in shibuya..

so tell me about your trip mate, how was tokyo? you back in the states now?

haha funny looking back about the stuff we talked about regarding hk girls before our trips.. because I actually met a hk girl on nye and she's pretty cool. different to most hk girls i've met..

i didn't spend much time in hk actually.. went to soho for nye, spent the next day in bed in my hotel after eating some dodgy MK food, walked the avenue of stars with the girl, other 2 days shopped around central and tst. i realised im too poor to afford anything in lane crawford so i just bought a bunch of shit from I.T haha. i bought heaps of thermals from uniqlo, but even that was not enough for the beijing weather. also bought a shades of grey parka from aegis in Shanghai, which is a really cool shop.

oh have you been to central when all the phillipinos come and hang out there? it was seriously weird, like we walked into a twilight zone when we got lost and walked into a mall filled with all middle aged philipino woman..

i hated the table and bottle style of chinese clubbing. its so fucken pretentious and all about who has more money. and wtf its like every single chinaman/woman likes to wear puffy and shiny jackets with a fake ass moncler or northface logo on it.

dont think ive been to ageha, but last time i went to womb, gaspanic and a tiny hip hop joint in shibuya..

so tell me about your trip mate, how was tokyo? you back in the states now?

yeh back in the states. aha i went to gaspanic on my last nite. my friend actually lives in roppongi and it was the only place open on a tuesday nite and had people bc most ppl were back to work for the week and they partied so hard NYE weekend. tokyo was a blast, but it always is. i'm lucky to have japanese american friends that live in tokyo, so they are always kind enough to let me crash and take me around. so did a buncha everything clubbing, drunken karaoke, visit the meiji shrine, shopped in harajuku and copped some stuff from the visvim store, and pretty much ate everything in sight. lol.

that's cool yeh met a local girl. there are some down ass chicks in hk but they're few and far between. i have a few good female friends that i've known for 7-8 years and they're always down to go out when i'm in town. if you keep in contact, hk ppl will be your friend for life.

yeh i lived in hk from 92-95 as a young buck, visit annually, and lived there as an adult for 6 months in 06, so i'm familiar with the filipinos. lol. when i first saw it, i was like wth, why are they all camped out? lol. but you kno, it is what it is. they come from really poor parts of the phillippines and work for like $500 USD a month. if you ever see an HK apartment, they will usually have a maid's quarters that can fit about a single bed and they have a bathroom the size of an airline bathroom. there's no shower. usually they just get a hose and shower head that connects to the sink. that's all they get and sunday, christmas day, and easter off. they're treated like 2nd class citizens in HK which is just sad.

the bottle service thing is ok with me. they do the same thing in the states so i accept that as being normal. what i think is nuts is the member's only clubs like prive where you pay $10-20,000 USD to get a yearly membership. sure some of it goes to your alcohol consumption, but that's just ridiculous. too much money in HK. the other thing that bugs me is the self discrimination. i'm an abc, but i'm cool with everyone. so i got expat friends and i have local friends. whenever i go out in LKF, the bouncers always give my more local HK friends shit at the door. it's stupid. sometimes i think HK is just stuck in a colonial mentality.

i thought of your story about how ppl ask if you work out bc the same thing happened to me. when i was in the I.T store trying on a jacket the guy is like WOW YOU'RE SO BIG. WORK OUT! its comedy bc i'm like the scrawniest guy in cali. i didn't really buy a whole lot while i was there. copped a jacket at I.T. and had a suit altered and mostly got random stuff for my apartment. i used to come back from HK with bulging bags of shit. i think i've really toned down the spending lol.

so you really wanna move to hk? i'd probably do it if my job offered a nice expat package. other than that, no way. the work conditions suck with long hours and some people work half day saturdays. there's no work life balance at all. its like japan where ppl just work then go drink and smoke. and its all city all the time. i can't go running (unless its the gym in my parent's building), no fresh air, can't snowboard or do other more outdoor stuff. the south side of the island is nice w beaches and trails, but its a pain in the ass to get there and back. don't get me wrong. i love hk and i put down for my city. but living there is a completely different reality.

haha pretty funny i came across the FIL store in wan chai completely by luck when i was looking for a different store. dragged my mate in who had no idea what visvim was. didn't buy anything though. i used to buy anything and everything in hk too. this trip i was a much more constrained and i only picked out pieces i really loved. copped a few +j shirts, some wallabees, heaps of thick winter socks, a navy suit made with peter lee and other random bits. mostly spent my $ on food and drinking.

best peking duck: da dong in beijing

best fried dumplings: yangs in shanghai (seriously best hangover cure, ate it about 5 mornings in a row)

best xiao long bao: across the road from yangs, din tai fung a close second

best overall asian cuisine: i would have to say grandmas in hangzhou.. great food

one gripe, i could not find a decent coffee anywhere

i met alot of people on this trip, some i will stay in contact with and others not but they all cool. the honky girl was cool as shit. very bubbly and funny, had heaps to chat about, not dumb, spoke english well, and cute. she passed out on me on nye though :mad:

dont get me wrong about the filipinos i know they get put down alot in hk for being maids etc.. i was just shocked to see them all there. especially to see they were setting up picnics on the tables outside IFC mall. its good that even though they are away from their families in the Philippines, they've got each other in hk.. i didn't really get any discrimination, i remember drunkingly crashing a private party in lkf, and the cute canadian asian doorgirl was still nice about it haha

yeah you know what i always hear about the horror stories of working life in hk/sg/japan etc, but I think i need to make the move now or it will never happen. Im 28 this year, so the window is well and truly closing for me. I guess Im mentally prepared to work my ass off for at least a year, and just soak up the experience for what it is. my aussie mate that we partied with on nye (and subsequent nights) works in hk and hes loving it. he went to taiwan a couple months back, and this past weekend chilled on beaches on boracay island. that kind of life is so fucken appealing to me right now. what makes it worst is the high prices in aus at the moment. i dry cleaned some shit that i wore on the trip yesterday and it cost me $80 AUD. same shit would have been like $20 max in asia. tailors charge $28 to taper pants, where shops do it for free over there. fuck that.

i know what u mean.. i love my outdoors too.. we have some of the best beaches in the world on my doorstep, but im willing to trade that in for the big city at least for little awhile. so yeah mate this year will be it.. gonna take the plunge and see where i surface..

you kno due to the high concentration of middle aged filipino women and NO MEN (since chinese ppl won't date them), that the maids develop bisexual or lesbian relationships with each other. it's well documented. you can google all about it. haha. so that will add another layer of wtf is going on here the next time you're in hk. lol.

i never have an issue gettin in and out of spots in hk since i kno various ppl. but i have definitely noticed the discrimination. one of my more local friends where he speaks english with an accent had trouble getting into tanzania bar. it wasn't until i came out and busted out perfect english and like this is my friend blah blah that then all of the sudden everything is gravy. shit's annoying. if you spend enough time in hk, you'll notice a deep segregation between expat/foreign born chinese community and the more local people.

you definitely got that window to move. if you do it, then definitely do it now. i'm in my early 30s now and settled in my career so its not likely for me to go any where any time soon. but i definitely went through the same thing you did in my mid 20's, so i ended up moving to NYC with 2 suitcases and the clothes on my back. one of the best choices i ever made.

HK definitely has that appeal of the high life bc you can definitely live a lifestyle that you can't get elsewhere esp with cheaper necessities like food, public transportation, and shelter. do you even have a hk id bc its a bit of a challenge to get a company to sponsor your work visa as well. if you have any questions, just pm me since i been through it all before when i moved back in 2006. i can see us hijacking this thread. lol

just want to chime in on the table thing in hk/china. its pretty much what it is but the chinese do love their drinking/dice games so its there also for that purpose. i actually quiet like the parties in china as oppose to hong kong because the venue are always bigger and there are diff rooms.

landy: the members only club is all a front IMO to make them elusive. the only club that really stayed exclusive is D-I. all the others one you just need to pay the cover and youre in (the aforementioned; prive, volar, etc.) but yeah its nuts how much people blow on those membership and tables.

p.s. anybody still in asia after the CNY aftermath?