china :: hong kong :: general

hotboyx2

thanks for the quick reply whats there to do now in HK? Any stuff that I must buy? and I am wondering where can I get seafood the best in HK with my family? I heard there is some seafood street or village thats abit outskirts, if its good Im willing to go there? Oh can you give a less vague reply?

openrice.com

thanks for the quick reply whats there to do now in HK? Any stuff that I must buy? and I am wondering where can I get seafood the best in HK with my family? I heard there is some seafood street or village thats abit outskirts, if its good Im willing to go there? Oh can you give a less vague reply?

sai kung?

man just openrice that shit. if i had to pick a few places to hit up

seam eett taiwan noodles in mk

tonkichi tonkatsu in like everywhere

mochi cafe udon TST

iroha bbq for wagyu beef in tst

tim ho wan in mk for dim sum (just for the hype)

afternoon tea at any of the big hotels

then u gotta just enjoy some bo jai fan, street food, dai pai dong (although not as classic anymore..), cha chaan teng etc. etc. it's really hard to fuck up eating in hk. just look where everyone else is eating

Sai Kung is great for seafood and some deals can be had at the waterfront if you're eating before 6pm. Easily the best seafood meal I've ever had though was in Lau Fau Shan near to Yuen Long in the New Territories. Three of us ate for HKD2000 but it was just incredible. If you've got a local connection (with a car), it's worth the journey out there. Don't have a name, but openrice might have info - I believe the place carries a strong rep.

sai kung?

man just openrice that shit. if i had to pick a few places to hit up

seam eett taiwan noodles in mk

tonkichi tonkatsu in like everywhere

mochi cafe udon TST

iroha bbq for wagyu beef in tst

tim ho wan in mk for dim sum (just for the hype)

afternoon tea at any of the big hotels

then u gotta just enjoy some bo jai fan, street food, dai pai dong (although not as classic anymore..), cha chaan teng etc. etc. it's really hard to fuck up eating in hk. just look where everyone else is eating

all excellent recommendations. tim ho wan is hype but its sooo frickin good.

most ppl like the peninsula for afternoon tea bc of the fancy factor. i actually prefer the intercontinental hotel bc they have a large bay window where you can have a view of the skyline.

and no trip is complete w/o eating at tsui wah.. esp the one in lkf at 4am. lol

• 2 weeks later...

hey fellas,

going to read through the thread again.. but hoping to get some quick answers..

I'm coming to HK next month with 2 other mates, will be landing on the 30th. What's everyone doing for NYE? I saw that Hed Kandi is playing a gig somewhere, but what else is worth checking out? Im honky, but this will be my first time in HK for NYE. can't fking wait.

Going on the theme of partying, what are some good clubs? I've been back to HK every year, but nearly always with family so I didn't really have time to let loose. Been to the usual LKF places but im sure most hongkinese hate that expat dump? We like all manner of music, but mostly old school hip hop and house for nights out.

Suits. Where do you guys get your suits done? I've had a few suits done at a place near Trendy Zone in MK in the past, but looking to up the ante as I think I've developed better sense of suit styling and know exactly what i want now (as opposed to the tailor telling you). I know of Armoury and WW Chan, but I don't think I can afford their prices. Somewhere around the $500-700 price range will suit me (no pun int..). Probably going to get some shirts made at Ascot Chang though.

Sight seeing. Got to fit a bit of this in for my mates who is going to HK for the first time. Planning to take them to the prerequisite places like Victoria Harbour and the Peak, what else?

Shopping.. Obviously the main reason for me posting here.... I'll be looking to buy some nice outerwear and boots, since the next stop after HK for us is freeeezing Beijing and Shanghai. I've been looking online and I like brands like W+H, Engineered Garments, Canada Goose, WWM, Penfield, Pendleton, Norse Projects, Mark McNairy, Yuketen etc.. do you guys know of any places that stock that? I want to get at least a down vest and jacket..

Food.. well there are some great suggestions in here already and I know of some places myself.. so thanks for that.

Finally. thanks for reading and hope some of you can share your infinite wisdom and knowledge of the great city of HK :)

hey fellas,

I'm coming to HK next month with 2 other mates, will be landing on the 30th. What's everyone doing for NYE? I saw that Hed Kandi is playing a gig somewhere, but what else is worth checking out? Im honky, but this will be my first time in HK for NYE. can't fking wait.

Going on the theme of partying, what are some good clubs? I've been back to HK every year, but nearly always with family so I didn't really have time to let loose. Been to the usual LKF places but im sure most hongkinese hate that expat dump? We like all manner of music, but mostly old school hip hop and house for nights out.

Suits. Where do you guys get your suits done? I've had a few suits done at a place near Trendy Zone in MK in the past, but looking to up the ante as I think I've developed better sense of suit styling and know exactly what i want now (as opposed to the tailor telling you). I know of Armoury and WW Chan, but I don't think I can afford their prices. Somewhere around the $500-700 price range will suit me (no pun int..). Probably going to get some shirts made at Ascot Chang though.

Sight seeing. Got to fit a bit of this in for my mates who is going to HK for the first time. Planning to take them to the prerequisite places like Victoria Harbour and the Peak, what else?

Shopping.. Obviously the main reason for me posting here.... I'll be looking to buy some nice outerwear and boots, since the next stop after HK for us is freeeezing Beijing and Shanghai. I've been looking online and I like brands like W+H, Engineered Garments, Canada Goose, WWM, Penfield, Pendleton, Norse Projects, Mark McNairy, Yuketen etc.. do you guys know of any places that stock that? I want to get at least a down vest and jacket..

Food.. well there are some great suggestions in here already and I know of some places myself.. so thanks for that.

Finally. thanks for reading and hope some of you can share your infinite wisdom and knowledge of the great city of HK :)

most of the brands you listed are pretty over priced in hong kong. i think you're better off looking for wings online or at your local joint, but if you must to prepare for the north then you can find them at lane crawford. harvey nicoles also stock a lot of SuFu approved brands.

hey fellas,

dunno what's really going on NYE. i usually don't find out until i'm in town. but you can check sites like bcmagazine.net and hkhustle.com on what's going on nightlife-wise. like it or not, lkf is pretty much that it place for clubs. tst and wan chai have a few spots, but lkf is the hub. and many of the high end clubs will be membership only, so you will have to know someone to get you in. but also expect to pay cover to get in any place. lkf does turn into a pretty big block party during nye and it can be fun. i think last year, my friend and i just went to a club my friends were throwing a party at in lkf and then we just bounced around the different lounges and clubs in the area. i remember azure bein nice bc of the rooftop lounge but it was more for the view. i'm not much into house.. but in terms of old school hip hop. i'm not sure where you can find that. old school hiphop is a relatively unknown concept since hip hop in itself is pretty new in HK (maybe bout last 12 years). there's definitely house music everywhere tho.

for suits, you'd probably want to go to TST where its highly competitive. for a full bespoke suit, you could easily get one for 3-400 not 5-700. i think there's a huge thread in the archives of styleforum about which tailor is the best. i usually go to sam's and get one for about 300ish. ppl have various opinions about his work, but everything he's made for me has been great. if you're goin to ascot chang's for shirts, i'd check them out for a suit as well. you'd get a better price since you're already getting other work done from them.

sightseeing... grab tea time at the peninsula or intercontinental, hk disneyland if that's your thing, big buddha in lantau, seeing a horse race, jade market, bird market, flower market, fish market, ladies market, market in stanley, repulse bay, star ferry ride, a ride on the hk trolly, lot of old temples, temple street night market, etc. there's plenty to see in hk, but sometimes it gets to be one giant mall after another.

i echo tm. check lane crawford and harvey nichols. or check out the websites of the brands you're looking for bc i'm sure they'll list what retailers stock their goods. that stuff is pretty high end and i've never seen hk carry that much heavy winterwear bc it just doesn't get that cold there. IFC mall might have a few other stores since there's a moncler store there. i'd just go to a uniqlo store and load up on their heat tech thermals and fleece and down jackets. shanghai isn't that bad in the winter time but beijing is butt ass freezing. i'd advise hitting up an outdoor store to get a bunch of those little packets you rip open and warm up when you expose them to the air. stuff em in your shoes and pockets.

that's as far as i kno. i usually go back just once a year these days so i'm not as connected as i used to be.

Going back this Dec to Hong Kong! Can't wait at all. Going to pick up some tailor shirts and shoes before heading to Sydney, and maybe a Yamaha keyboard ^^. No electronics, however tempting! What is the best place for Adidas sneakers? Just ordinary Adidas shoes.

And where would you go for 'formal' shoes for around 800-1000 HKD?

Edited by martinj

Going back this Dec to Hong Kong! Can't wait at all. Going to pick up some tailor shirts and shoes before heading to Sydney, and maybe a Yamaha keyboard ^^. No electronics, however tempting! What is the best place for Adidas sneakers? Just ordinary Adidas shoes.

And where would you go for 'formal' shoes for around 800-1000 HKD?

like some sambas or stan smiths? best place for sneakers is "sneaker street" in mongkok. it runs parallel to the ladies market.. you can easily google it. there's also the adidas flagship store in TST and there's an adidas originals store in causeway bay near fashion island.

formal shoes can be found anywhere in any of the malls around town. try dept stores like lane crawford, seibu, etc.

For quality in that price range see Peter Lee, who is across the st from the Sheraton in TST

Peter Lee from Lee Baron? I've been researching up HK suiting on Styleforum and his name comes up quite often. WWchan is the other one but prices for them go upwards of 1K, i'd rather spend that much on P Johnson tailors in Melb.

I might just end up getting a whole bunch of shirts and maybe one suit from Peter Lee..

every time I've been back to HK, I've never gone to IFC mall. That is definitely on the list of places to visit. How are Lane Crawford prices though? I'm trying to toss up whether to buy my outerwear online before i go then? at least i wont get to hk and find nothing i like..

checked out bcmagazine.net and hkhustle.com and theres not much on the in terms of nye parties.. i might just go the LKF route and see what happens on the night. what are you guys planning?

oh did you all hear about the Ladies Market fire? was it triads related?

I've seen +J at the uniqlo in harbour city but they had minimal selection

regarding suits, yes peter lee at lee baron. i've been using him for a while. however, if you like p. johnson's aesthetic, i'd say save your money and go with him. i really like the suits i've seen from him

Edited by cchen

Peter Lee from Lee Baron? I've been researching up HK suiting on Styleforum and his name comes up quite often. WWchan is the other one but prices for them go upwards of 1K, i'd rather spend that much on P Johnson tailors in Melb.

I might just end up getting a whole bunch of shirts and maybe one suit from Peter Lee..

every time I've been back to HK, I've never gone to IFC mall. That is definitely on the list of places to visit. How are Lane Crawford prices though? I'm trying to toss up whether to buy my outerwear online before i go then? at least i wont get to hk and find nothing i like..

checked out bcmagazine.net and hkhustle.com and theres not much on the in terms of nye parties.. i might just go the LKF route and see what happens on the night. what are you guys planning?

oh did you all hear about the Ladies Market fire? was it triads related?

i just went to bcmagazine's site and realized it was horribly outdated. lol. sorry about that. i used to reference it a lot back in the day but looks like they may have gone under. although check HMV bc they may have newer print issues. also check out HK magazine and their site: http://hk.asia-city.com/

also try

http://www.hkclubbing.com/

i'll actually be in tokyo for new years but will be in hk for a few days afterwards. you really can't go wrong with new years in lkf. just be prepared for the long line to get in the area. they do it for crowd control reasons. also be prepared for even bars to charge some sort of cover. but i'd ask around to see what clubs are doing events. many will have a large event with pre-sale tickets that include a drink or something like that.

local tip 1. there's a 7/11 at the base of lkf as well as one at the top. load up on cheap alcohol there before you go to the clubs. you're also you can walk around outside with open containers, but you just can't bring them into clubs.

local tip 2. it's gonna be a sausage fest anywhere you go in hk. that's just the way it is. lol

prices at lane crawford are pretty much going to be retail although keep in mind that there is no sales tax so at least you save some there. its up to you if you want to buy your outerwear beforehand. from what i've seen, there's not really a big market for the stuff you want for beijing... it just doesn't get that cold in hk during winter. you can get by with just a light jacket or hoodie. i remember on new years last year, i just wore a t-shirt and i was fine. alcohol helps though. lol.

not in hk yet so i can't tell you where to get j+. the first store was opened in miramar in tst. their flagship is in causeway bay. i'd check those places out. but i'd check to on the j+ thread here on superfuture too for opinions on the clothes. i hear the stuff really isn't that warm and might not cut it for a place like beijing.

Edited by Landy

Have a short stopover in HK on my way back to Japan in January (arrive 20:40 and leave the follow morning at 10:30), need a hotel/area that's easy to get to from the airport on the train that has places with food and bars to check out. Don't need no 5-star shit as I'll probably be only sleeping for a few hours, so around $100-150 USD. Any suggestions?

First post, holla.

I will be in Hong Kong over christmas and new years. (Staying at soy street, mong kok).

For the first week or so I'll be there by myself, so I'm looking for stuff to do alone. Any tips? (except shopping, which I obv will be doing).

Also, anyone know any stores/markets that sell used musical instruments/dj gear?

Sorry if my questions have already been answered! :blush:

First post, holla.

I will be in Hong Kong over christmas and new years. (Staying at soy street, mong kok).

For the first week or so I'll be there by myself, so I'm looking for stuff to do alone. Any tips? (except shopping, which I obv will be doing).

Also, anyone know any stores/markets that sell used musical instruments/dj gear?

Sorry if my questions have already been answered! :blush:

look at some of the previous posts made. ppl have mentioned shopping areas to check out and sightseeing things to do. HK is a great city wander around alone though. lots of hidden stuff. if you see an escalator going up, go in.. you'll never know what you'll find. that's how i found a lot of shopping areas in hk.

haven't seen anything with used musical instruments. i'd go to the tom lee music stores and ask them.

I've always been curious... those upstairs places with the neon foot "massage" sign, are they legit reflexology places or brothels?

lol. i have no idea. i suppose it depends which neighborhood you're in. i actually read somewhere that prostitution is actually legal in hk if the girl is independent. but if it's organized, like ran by a pimp then its illegal. someone correct me if i'm wrong.

I was in HK last year on a business related trip, and spend most of the time exploring the city alone, and tbh I dont really like it. It gets kinda weird eating alone and find myself rushing when drinking beer and afternoon tea.

One thing that i do enjoy though is paying for 1 person's bill instead of 2 lol. Get lunch at sushi hiro at causewaybay. Its in henry's building. Price is reasonable for the 16pc sushi lunch set. Not recommended for dinner, as its 3-4X more than what they charge during lunch hours. Try getting there at 11:45am or call to make a reservations, as they are very pack during lunch.

Will be going there next week as well and spend the xmas and ny with the family. But will prolly be out at night time for xmas and nye (if I can sneak out) if any sufuers are down there and have any plans for xmas or nye, do drop a PM.

can't wait! 3 more weeks from now I'll be landing in HK

thanks for the suggestion Ken, I love my sushi so I'll be on the lookout for hiro.

man one place I remember is a dirty old shop upstairs from a street market near my grandparents house in tuen wan. for as long as I remember since I was a kid, my parents have taken me there. they said they've been eating there their whole lives as well as my grandparents. what they sell is some of the best shanghai noodles and dumplings ever.. and the price is like less than $5 per bowl..

don't even know if they have a name but i can normally find my own way there from memory

hey landy you been to beijing club? my mate who spent new years in hk went there and suggested i go..

could do better elsewhere.

suggestions? i don't have any but beijing gets so rammed to the pt. that you'll have a hard time maneuvering around....and i dont like that lol

I was in HK last year on a business related trip, and spend most of the time exploring the city alone, and tbh I dont really like it. It gets kinda weird eating alone and find myself rushing when drinking beer and afternoon tea.

One thing that i do enjoy though is paying for 1 person's bill instead of 2 lol.

I really hope I won't feel that way about it. Being by myself for christmas over there was not part of any plan, but what can you do about it right? I know I'm a not by any means a fully fledged member of this community, nonetheless; I'm up for anything between 23-30 dec.

Edited by dickydiggler