china :: hong kong :: general

hotboyx2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm heading to Hong Kong for eight days in March, after having spent three weeks travelling in Thailand.

I have traveled extensively in south east Asia, including an eight week trip backpacking around China two years ago. I love Asian cities - the buzz, the food, the pace, the smells, the 24hr access and the ceaseless entrepreneurialism. So basically, I'm pretty excited to get to Hong Kong.

I have a few questions that I hope you can help me with:

1. What are the best street wear stores in HK?

I know the obvious stores like Lane Crawford (bought way too much stuff there in Beijing in 2009), Joyce and the fact that every luxury brand has an outpost or three in Hong Kong. But what about the good streetwear, be it Japanese, American or whatever?

2. Can you give me some awesome local places to eat? They could be street carts, hole in the wall joints, or just any local sort of place - the plastic chairs and plastic tablecloths with toilet paper napkin kinda places with great local food. Hell, name as many as you like. I'm pretty adventurous with food and will try most places and dishes. The Lao ladies who've seen me attempt to eat bbq rat on a stick will testify to that.

3. Are there any massive dim sum eating house type places in Hong Kong? I mean the one's that seat hundreds of people, families crammed in and cart ladies covering the floor like carpet? Forgive my ignorance as these places might not exist, hence the "fabled" descriptor. I mean the types of places Wang SHou describes in Playing for Thrills, though that may have been in Guangzhou?

4. What's a good "getaway" from Hong Kong island? It could be an outlying island or a great region/town in the New Territories. We wanna get out of town for a day or possibly overnight. We were even considering a visit to Shenzhen. I'm fascinated by how it's just popped up so quickly.

5. What's the one bar/restaurant you would recommend for a classic Hong Kong view?

6. Could someone give me a quick summary of some neighbourhoods other than the obvious Central, Causeway Bay etc. Areas to go and soak up the local sights and sounds, food and quirks that don't necessarily offer any obvious tourist or shopping spots. Hopefully I'll uncover some secrets while I'm there but a head's up would help.

Sydney to HK in T-minus 10 days.

Thanks in advance.

let me kno if cocky bar is any good. if there's one thing HK excels at, are amazing rooftop lounges with spectacular views. places like aqua, sevva, and azure never fail to impress guests when i take them there.

http://hk.asia-city.com/nightlife/article/top-10-alfresco-bars-hong-kong

i am going to HK on the 26 of FEB... and plan to visit Aqua Roma/Spirit to celebrate a friend's birthday.

My question is, how much is it gonna cost per person to have dinner there? And also are the cocktail/mocktail there expensive?

I have read good reviews of the food and also the great view but at a pricey cost.... can you remember how much u spend the last u visited aqua? Want to know if its within our budget...otherwise we have to skip it..

Thanks in advance~

• 2 weeks later...
Just read all of this, and how to say that this thread is too fucking depressing. Are there no saving graces except the food? Was thinking about moving there, but this is turning me off.

Tax-free electronics shopping, cheap(ish) flights to other places (e.g. Taipei), some decent food (e,.g. awesome xiao long bao at Din Tai Fong for one), um... I'm out.

Just read all of this, and how to say that this thread is too fucking depressing. Are there no saving graces except the food? Was thinking about moving there, but this is turning me off.

If you make like, 40,000HKD and up a month, you'll be alright.

If you don't, you'll want to kill yourself.

And even then, you still might want to kill yourself.

But that's life in HK.

maybe try visiting first instead of believing what you read on the internet.

yeah, food is awesome, but honestly, the pollution will kill you. (that's actually the top reason i actually want to get out of here(2)).

Tax-free electronics shopping, cheap(ish) flights to other places (e.g. Taipei), some decent food (e,.g. awesome xiao long bao at Din Tai Fong for one), um... I'm out.

> electronics shopping is overrated. a lot of shit is cheaper at costco, etc, even with the tax savings.

> geographic location is great - easy access to numerous asian spots (indo, thailand, cambodia, china, etc), and the airport is super efficient

> din tai fung - lol, that joint is from taiwan (noticed that you list TPE under your location - you should know that!). but yeah, food is good there, but better in taiwan.

maybe try visiting first instead of believing what you read on the internet.

yeah, food is awesome, but honestly, the pollution will kill you. (that's actually the top reason i actually want to get out of here(2)).

ninja edit:

Have a chance to go there for grad school. Not my only choice, so I'm trying to figure out if it's a good idea or not. Just planning to stay for one year, but want to go somewhere I'll enjoy. Not expecting it to be like Tokyo, but (in the mind of sufu) is there at least a bit of fun to be had in terms of nightlife?

And don't worry; I won't take the advice too seriously ;)

ninja edit:

Have a chance to go there for grad school. Not my only choice, so I'm trying to figure out if it's a good idea or not. Just planning to stay for one year, but want to go somewhere I'll enjoy. Not expecting it to be like Tokyo, but (in the mind of sufu) is there at least a bit of fun to be had in terms of nightlife?

And don't worry; I won't take the advice too seriously ;)

i think us hong kongers just have a tendency to be overtly cynical. actually HK is one of my favorite cities in the world. a lively international scene, decent english proficiency, world class restaurants and retail locations, etc. unlike tokyo, eating out won't make you go broke. i over generalize on how fugly the girls are there. lol. its not that bad but there are definitely places that are better. i'd say the worst thing about HK is the freakin humidity.

the nightlife is great too from the pubs in wan chai to the lounges in the skyscrapers in causeway bay to of course, lan kwai fung. i think the smallness of the city does effect things bc you do end up just going to lkf more times than you like.

plus HK is a hub that's dead center in asia so its pretty easy and cheap to travel eveywhere from china to southeast asia.

i am going to HK on the 26 of FEB... and plan to visit Aqua Roma/Spirit to celebrate a friend's birthday.

My question is, how much is it gonna cost per person to have dinner there? And also are the cocktail/mocktail there expensive?

I have read good reviews of the food and also the great view but at a pricey cost.... can you remember how much u spend the last u visited aqua? Want to know if its within our budget...otherwise we have to skip it..

Thanks in advance~

i don't have an idea since i haven't eaten dinner there. but consider it high end. aqua is japanese so that's gonna drive the prices even higher. i haven't been to aqua in years but i recall there was a minumum charge per person. i think i ended up ordering 2-3 drinks.

1. What are the best street wear stores in HK?

like everywhere else, streetwear is on a bit on the nose dive. definitely check out central bc the neighborhood, FIL visvim, sophnet, bape, and nowhere stores are all there. you can also check out retailers like I.T. and d-mop all over HK. there's a bbc store in TST. areas like mongkok, TST, and causewway have tons of streetwear stores within malls and stuff. you just have to look. i don't remember their names but just found them from wandering around. try supreme palace in causeway bay. they carry lots of new and used goods.

2. Can you give me some awesome local places to eat? there are too many and i wouldn't know the names. i only know their locations. a lot of people slum it on temple street for food tho.

3. Are there any massive dim sum eating house type places in Hong Kong? they don't do the carts much anymore bc it takes too long. usually orders are done via pencil and paper. gets customers in and out faster. i think there's a few places in central that still do it the traditional way. the maxim in city hall comes to mind. i recommend tim ho wan in mong kok. its the cheapest michelin star rated restaurant in the world and it was some of the best dim sum i ever had. it opens at 10am so you have to get there early. first come first serve. i arrived at 9:30am and there was already 40 ppl in line.

4. What's a good "getaway" from Hong Kong island? shenzen is fun to visit for shopping in lo wu city. not much else. be careful there. you can take the ferry to macau. lamma island. lantau island has the big buddha. even taking the bus to the other side of the island to stanley can be considered a getaway bc the vibe is so different.

5. What's the one bar/restaurant you would recommend for a classic Hong Kong view? aqua in tst. azure in lkf.

6. Could someone give me a quick summary of some neighbourhoods other than the obvious Central, Causeway Bay etc. i think you can do a lot of this research on your own. mongkok is as local as you can get and is the most populous area of HK.

i think us hong kongers just have a tendency to be overtly cynical. actually HK is one of my favorite cities in the world. a lively international scene, decent english proficiency, world class restaurants and retail locations, etc. unlike tokyo, eating out won't make you go broke. i over generalize on how fugly the girls are there. lol. its not that bad but there are definitely places that are better. i'd say the worst thing about HK is the freakin humidity.

the nightlife is great too from the pubs in wan chai to the lounges in the skyscrapers in causeway bay to of course, lan kwai fung. i think the smallness of the city does effect things bc you do end up just going to lkf more times than you like.

plus HK is a hub that's dead center in asia so its pretty easy and cheap to travel eveywhere from china to southeast asia.

Thanks! This was very informative, and kind of what I expected. I know I'm a bit cynical about my hometown too.

One more thing I was wondering: In your opinion, do hk people like foreigners? I've read quite a few angry rants on different forums about foreigners, and I do want to make friends with locals. I couldn't imagine it being a problem anywhere, but a lot of the stuff I've read has been pretty hateful. But I guess the primary complaints are of foreign 50 year-olds and mainland chinese ...

Thanks! This was very informative, and kind of what I expected. I know I'm a bit cynical about my hometown too.

One more thing I was wondering: In your opinion, do hk people like foreigners? I've read quite a few angry rants on different forums about foreigners, and I do want to make friends with locals. I couldn't imagine it being a problem anywhere, but a lot of the stuff I've read has been pretty hateful. But I guess the primary complaints are of foreign 50 year-olds and mainland chinese ...

if you don't act the fool, then you'll be just fine. i've made friends with locals and they're some of my best friends. i think some foreigners just get a bad rep bc of events like the rugby sevens when masses of drunk aussies and new zealanders cause a lot of trouble. in general, the locals are pretty nice. it's not at the same level as japan, but japan has a certain level of fakeness.. but that's a different story.

i thought japanese digs foreigners .. especially americans

in general, they do. but Japanese people can be fake as hell too. Polite and smiling in your face when they really just hate your guts. Chinese people can be rude as hell, but at least you know its real. i'm not trying to make sweeping generalizations, but this is something i've heard from my Japanese American friends.

If you were to generalise, I'd say Chinese wouldn't lose face to be rude directly unless there is none to begin with.

Sometimes though, foreigners can fall into this "as seen on tv" status where saying things that would normally be considered rude by other Chinese would no longer apply.

• 1 month later...