china :: hong kong :: general

hotboyx2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Anyone know how much a Visvim ballistic 20L backpack goes for in HK? Got a friend going there soon. I was wondering if it's cheaper than in Toronto. :D

Well you're definitely looking at it being cheaper than Canada in Hong Kong (considering tax and everything in Canada). But be warned.. For one thing, don't be expecting a huge price difference (unnecessary hype over Visvim).There are also tonnes of fakes.

Mark ups are ridiculous in Hong Kong but, as everyone has mentioned already, the array of brands is eye-catching (even though the buys are often mediocre)...

• 2 weeks later...

I've lived in Hong Kong for the vast majority of my young life, but go to college in Boston, and every time I go shopping in HK, I always seem to get disappointed. Lane Crawford and Harvey Nichols never seem to have anything worthwhile. Could someone point me in the direction of, say, some smaller boutiques that aren't as monstrous/absurd as LC/HN, yet still relevant? Stores like Take5, 3RingCircus in CWB... small, yet well put together. I just can't help but think that there must be a ton of these kind of stores around Central/CWB/TST that carry great brands and are still relatively unknown compared to LC/HN. Help would be greatly appreciated!

It doesn really work that way in HK largely cause of rent issues.

You don't have the luxury of opening up your own retail space due to the price of rent. As well, the ultra-trend driven population won't touch brands unless there is already some large hype or association with a brand. Neither help each other out.

Good brands are swallowed by the likes of IT, Harvey Nichols, Lane Crawford etc while smaller, lesser known albeit just as good brands or emerging brands don't have an outlet.

There is a GDSLABS store in CWB that just opened up, their shit is all over the place in terms of brand roster, but they might have the money, potential and connects it seems.

• 1 month later...

Popular clubs

-Volar

-Dragon-i

-Prive

-Yumla (creative community seems to like to come here)

-Beijing

-Billion

Last two are really local. It's hard to get into the first 3 even if you try to pay your way in sometimes, best to have hook ups.

HK clubbing sucks, ass to ass packed, expensive drinks, girls don't put out etc etc.

Popular clubs

-Volar

-Dragon-i

-Prive

-Yumla (creative community seems to like to come here)

-Beijing

-Billion

Last two are really local. It's hard to get into the first 3 even if you try to pay your way in sometimes, best to have hook ups.

HK clubbing sucks, ass to ass packed, expensive drinks, girls don't put out etc etc.

I Dj'd at Volar last Saturday and it was slammed to the gills but super fun and high energy. That being said, guest list was definitely in effect so go get your shmooze on ;) I love Yumla for chill local vibe, although the hot girl per square meter is noticeably lower.

Also did a drive by of a spot called Azure atop the building just across the street from Dragon I (downhill). Great space, shit sound system, barely acceptable DJ. Cougars and dudes with laminated "Conference Attendee" passes. Bleazies definitely down for the game up in there.

i don't think anyone is having sales in hk now. it's also really over-rated as a shopping city imo

what?

medium rare shits 30-40%

harvey nichols is having a 40% off sale

joyce, and LC i can feel it coming...

around 60-70% off for most of the hi-fashion boutique, then they will put the dead stock to their warehouse where they might be further discounted to 90% off

places to go to when im back in hk. i was guessing there would be lots of places around granville road, and i was right as concept shop is in tst. are there any better places with more shit?

Trendy Zone (Mong Kok)

Presidential Center (Causeway Bay)

Both places stock Supreme and other Japanese streetwear brands/sneakers.