china :: hong kong :: general

hotboyx2

xintiandi starbucks, renmin plaza, those spots. if you look like a foreigner or even non-Shanghainese and English speaking (they have uncanny sixth sense for this type of shit), they will approach, usually a girl or two, and pretend to be shy and ask if you can help them with English. They will invite you to a place for a special Chinese 'tea ceremony' in some cafe. You go there, the waiter brings some plain old tea and maybe a plate of peanuts. You chat for a while, they ask to go to bathroom, they dip, you are handed a bill for several thousand bucks. If you don't pay then you don't get out, the cops and surrounding neighbors are all on their side.

One rule for Shanghai/China = Trust No One. Nobody is EVER "alone" or "just with a few friends" especially in places like cafes, bars, nightclubs. People look scattered randomly but chances are a good number of them know each other and are in cahoots. I learned this the hard way at Muse 2, met some chick and started fooling around with her, ordered a bottle of Moet and started playing drinking games ... then she goes to bathroom. I turn around shes doin it to some other dude, caught her red handed....

and then a few days later she texts me thinking I'm dumb enough to fall for it again. Oh well, the tuition was pretty light considering a lot worse coulda happened to me based on what i hear

isnt this about HK?? but yeah.. 畀人賣豬仔... pretty much everywhere in China is like that... If you dont have a trusted 本地人 taking you around... you're gonna get fuckedddd.

China is pretty fucking bad right now...

with the economy in the shitter... all them laid off migrant workers aint got shit to lose... snatching purses on mopeds,

one of my friends went recently... nearly got kidnapped in broad daylight

xintiandi starbucks, renmin plaza, those spots. if you look like a foreigner or even non-Shanghainese and English speaking (they have uncanny sixth sense for this type of shit), they will approach, usually a girl or two, and pretend to be shy and ask if you can help them with English. They will invite you to a place for a special Chinese 'tea ceremony' in some cafe. You go there, the waiter brings some plain old tea and maybe a plate of peanuts. You chat for a while, they ask to go to bathroom, they dip, you are handed a bill for several thousand bucks.

lol... help them with English... i never heard that one. thats pretty funny.

from what i've seen recently, these girls will stop you and ask if you for directions to some place (such as a mall or street), and then try to small talk a little and ask if you wanna grab a cup of coffee or tea with them.

one night i was walkin by myself around nanjing dong lu and 3 or 4 girls came up to me on seperate instances and asked the same shit, so i knew what was up..

"Do you know where Xin Tian Di is?"

"Nope" (although i do)

"Oh, are you not from around here? where are you from?"

"I'm Shanghainese" (although im not)

"Then how come you dont know where Xin Tian Di is?"

"Cuz I've never been there." (although i have)

"Do you want to have coffee with me?"

"No"

"Are you really Shanghainese?"

"Dont waste your time on me, go find yourself a lao wai "

later on i saw the same girl happily linking arms with some old white dude as if she was about to get paid. the white dude was a complete cornball and looked happy about the chinese girl on his arm... haha.. cept he had no idea what was about to go down

if ur not familiar with shanghai, then just dont pay attention to anyone on the street and dont trust anyone's words. if you understand the shanghai state of mind, u should not be falling for this kind of shit.

lol。 I have that same 南京東路 experience. after it happened 5x+ one crowded friday night, i literally just started saying to them,《你給我滾開。》 as my answer to 'do you know where xintiandi is'

they either leave you alone or say 'omg so rude'

well fuck you bitch, don't try to hustle me :confused::confused::confused::confused:, ha.

yea nah i dont look anything like a local but tell them i'm 本地人to fuck with them. they keep houndin targets they know are visitors, but seem to quit botherin you sooner if u tell 'em "what are you doing? leave me alone" in shanghainese dialect. most of them aint even shanghainese but recognize the dialect, so when they hear that they get confused~

yeah thats the tricky part, many outsiders posing as local Shanghainese nowadays...they are practically fluent in the dialect

you are probably better than me at Putonghua if you speak Mandarin on a regular basis at home, and will have less difficulties navigating some alleys with a more 'local' flavor. I try as much as possible to stay away from those spots when traveling in a mainland Chinese city.

my mom almost was fucking mugged right outside the fucking four seasons in the middle of the day!

i think u can tell the difference because a lot of outsiders are a lot darker than most shanghainese people...

That's true. Locals are more pale.

And yes Shanghai can be crazy.......was there with my family back then, my mother and my sister had a can of pop in their hand and some kids just straight up took it from their hands.............rediculous and sad.

Don't tell me you scared of a few Nigerians in 3/4 length suits?

Chung King gets a bad rap I think. I had two little Korean girls who were friends of mine backpacking and that shit was fine.

I walked in and out of that place looking for an internet cafe... utter utter utter shit hole... had a guy grab my on my arm wanting me to show some shit, and also saw 2 DODGY looking guys in an alleyway who, after making eye contact with, decided that I was interesting enough to follow. Completely marched outta there as fast as possible.

SHAM SUI PO after midnight is a bit of a dump... only place in HK where I seen roaches running around the streets, and dodgy Africans unloading dodgy shit outta the back of dodgy trucks (no dodgy racism, just stating what I saw and it looked dodgy).

^^ chungking isn't that bad. i've gone in plenty of times and never had any issues. no one really talks to me anyways since i'm chinese anyways.

the first time i went to chungking was in the 90s. it was reaaaally bad back then. now they got fancy shops next to it and the giant video board.

all of HK is pretty safe. my parents have some stories about how rough temple street was back in the day tho. lol

Hi everyone!

I'm heading to Japan at the end of April and will be flying to Hong Kong from there. Hong Kong will probably be my home-base, but i'd like to visit Korea, Shanghai, Taiwan, or any other places with cheap flights. Do any of you know of any websites that has more travel info regarding cheaper flights or cheap hotels to stay at in Asia? I'll probably be traveling around Asia for about 3 weeks! Thanks in advance!

if you think HK is dangerous, then you are seriously soft kid.

just because nothing never happened to you dont mean all of HK is safe. get your head out from the sand.

just because nothing never happened to you dont mean all of HK is safe. get your head out from the sand.

for real, HK is not that dangerous compared to a lot of other places. I mean yeah just because nothing never happeend, but you should be smart enough to stay out of trouble when you are travelling.

• 2 weeks later...

you're actin like HK is the hood. HK IS safe. even if anythin happened to me there, i would still feel safe. just look at crime statistics-wise or hell, just compare it to the tale of two cities and look at shenzen across the border. like any city you go, there are good and bad parts. but HK is a safe place.

what are you looking for

i was there a few days ago, nothing worthy of mention

im heading there this may

im lookin for ro/damir...zeitgeist stype stuff

any places selling discounted fw stuff? i dont really get an opportunity to wear my SS shit

nah fw stuff cleared out. TST branch has some leftovers but its all random shit that nobody wants

the zeitgeist stuff is not well represented here. RO high collar leather for about $28 K is the only thing that caught my eye

i dunno man, the buyers here don't have a good eye for that aesthetic, imo.

nah fw stuff cleared out. TST branch has some leftovers but its all random shit that nobody wants

the zeitgeist stuff is not well represented here. RO high collar leather for about $28 K is the only thing that caught my eye

i dunno man, the buyers here don't have a good eye for that aesthetic, imo.

ohh man that sucks

where2kophighpriced basics lol

• 3 weeks later...