china :: hong kong :: general

hotboyx2

Thanks for all the comments.

Can you guys give me a name of someone whom you consider to be really good looking working in HK either in modelling or acting. I've googled alot of pages and seen some pictures but don't know how reputable the firms are.

The reason I ask is I just want to get an idea of what is considered 'good looking'. I meet the physical specifications in terms of height, weight, build etc but just the 'look' I am not too sure of.

The agency I'm with in Australia does no work overseas so it's very hard to gauge what my chances are of just packing up and heading straight to hk. Also there is not much work for asian models in Brisbane. I've received alot of compliments for the way I look but it's not sufficient to pay for a one way flight to HK.

PS: I'm not gay (Not that there's anything wrong with that)

post your face. all profiles. i'll try to promote you in the epicenter of tokyo "cool," 2chome.

j san, with all due respect, please respect new members as well as yourself. He's asking a legit question here. If you have a suggestion or comment, please do so in a respectable way.

I hope this time you are serious bout helping brissyboy out.

brissyboy, its a gay dominated world out there in the modelling agency. So if you are comfortable with it, then go for it. If not, I'd suggest you find other jobs.

seconded on the post pics response! i wonder if i've seen you around brisbane before, not exactly a big city here esp if you're asian.

I have some milk mags which i can get scans of if you wanna compare.

Also I have some pretty good connections in HK who hire models. one is a ceo of a toy company whom hires models to do tv ads and shows. another is my gfs auntie whom runs a pr company dealing with a grade honkiedonkie celebs. Eitherway, i'm not willing to fuck around with their time if I know it's not worth it, so far anyway.

Daniel Wu and Edison Chen. Anywhere along that line and you will do fine.

Never heard of Wu, Daniel.

The only reason that EC is famous is he a CBC. So much easier to become big in HK if your some kind of imported talent. Maggie Q springs to mind. HK just love imports.

Does anyone know if Silly Thing is closed for long time? Sent the wife today, she wasnt happy.

• 6 months later...

Thanks for the heads up guys - will scope in the next few days.

Onto more serious matters, I'm living here for the next 5 odd months, and would love to suss some cool local designers. I know Raf, Rick, etc. are acessible (and expensive, yes?), but are there any local labels / shops I should be checking out?

I try to mainly support local designers when at home, so I thought I'd try and do the same here. And there's often better value..

edit: I'll scope the supercity page for HK now.

Thanks for the heads up guys - will scope in the next few days.

Onto more serious matters, I'm living here for the next 5 odd months, and would love to suss some cool local designers. I know Raf, Rick, etc. are acessible (and expensive, yes?), but are there any local labels / shops I should be checking out?

I try to mainly support local designers when at home, so I thought I'd try and do the same here. And there's often better value..

edit: I'll scope the supercity page for HK now.

Have a look at IKEA...they're cheap.

Local designers in Hong Kong...depends on what type of clothing you are looking at. I know few designers in Hong Kong when I was there. Shoot me a message if you interested of meeting or know about them, they're heaps friendly.

Hang around in Roadafixa (fixed gear shop in HK) or www.hkfixed.blogspot.com. Sometimes Brian (blog owner) will post some fashion or art show. Let me know if you want his contact.

^^^ might have to take you up on that offer, vee dub.

i guess im sort of into april77, ksubi, chronicles of never, material boy, etc. - indie sorta look.

speaking of which, are there any stores that stock aforementioned mid-level labels and similar? been doing some light exploring and all i keep coming accross is high end shit (raf, ann, etc.) or low-end (h&m, zara, etc.)

i'm desperate for some casual-ish button downs and shorts. but can't succumb to h&m (not that they really had anything anyway). it's so fucking humid here.

just came accross the names of these stores

elite

shine

i.t (apparels)

galleriede vie

lane crawford

any worth checking out?

edit: just read bauhaus store carries a77???

As I remember IT have April 77...it was like 4 weeks ago when I was there.

If I were you go to I.T. and Lane Crawford...u will have a smile on ur face but then u might need to eat bread and drink water for rest of the trip.

HK isn't the best place to find local indie menswear. You'll find that most of it is more streetwear oriented. Try d-mop and shine. Also check out flea+cents.

Explore enough and you will come across random stores with interesting trinkets, accessories and homewares.

I.T. is an eclectic mix of high street and high fashion aimed at a younger demographic. Probably fits the bill best for you but the buys aren't very interesting.

Lane Crawford is a high fashion department store with all the established international labels (DH, McQueen, CdG, Junya etc). Joyce is also a high fashion department store but has a slightly more interesting selection (YY, RO, MMM, N(N), UC). Buys are small and markups are huge (20-50%). You're better of shopping in Japan/Europe.

A bunch of stores opened up recently

Demeulemeester

Margiela

Mihara Yasuhiro

D-Mop

all have shops behind Joyce in Central on On Lan Street.

Undercover has a pretty neat shop too.

Granville Road, and just off it, Rise Mall, in TST might yield some surprising cheap local stuff.

Pacific Place Lane Crawford has a more interesting selection of clothes than the IFC one, carrying Viridi-Anne, Lad Musicican, Attachment and LUC.

I.T. Pacific Place and Causeway Bay carries Margiela and Julius

Medium Rare (small boutique) in Causeway Bay also carry some of the Japanese brands listed above.

I don't think the above has been mentioned in any HK threads yet, sorry if redundant.

A bunch of stores opened up recently

Demeulemeester

Margiela

Mihara Yasuhiro

D-Mop

all have shops behind Joyce in Central on On Lan Street.

Undercover has a pretty neat shop too.

Granville Road, and just off it, Rise Mall, in TST might yield some surprising cheap local stuff.

Pacific Place Lane Crawford has a more interesting selection of clothes than the IFC one, carrying Viridi-Anne, Lad Musicican, Attachment and LUC.

I.T. Pacific Place and Causeway Bay carries Margiela and Julius

Medium Rare (small boutique) in Causeway Bay also carry some of the Japanese brands listed above.

I don't think the above has been mentioned in any HK threads yet, sorry if redundant.

Back in the days my grandpa took me to On Lan Street, it was like a shitty alleyway. Now it is soo expensive, the rent there is 6 figures pers month.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I will get around to check it all out.

In the meantime, where can a brother kop some nice shorts? I swear I can't find shit. I know we're going into winter, but fuck, its 30+ degrees still I and have like one pair of shorts with me.

Anyone seen any floating around recently? Obviously I'm looking at smallish sizers (< 30"), some nice cropped ones with no cargo pockets or anything.. black / navy / tan / whatever.

Where should I be looking?

edit: not super expensive

Thanks for the feedback guys, I will get around to check it all out.

In the meantime, where can a brother kop some nice shorts? I swear I can't find shit. I know we're going into winter, but fuck, its 30+ degrees still I and have like one pair of shorts with me.

Anyone seen any floating around recently? Obviously I'm looking at smallish sizers (< 30"), some nice cropped ones with no cargo pockets or anything.. black / navy / tan / whatever.

Where should I be looking?

edit: not super expensive

Go to 852 in CWB...skate shop but they do sell lotta shorts without cargo and they r cheap.

But then why not just wear a pair of jeans..I was there 4 weeks ago it was hotter than now. Wear the April 77 eat some fish balls, and drink can of beer on the other hand. :D