NoKipple - Official Thread

Megatron1505

^Let me take a look around there and see what kind of pic they like. I've not spent a lot of time on reddit and don't want to upset their politics but I aim to please and Marlowe definitely isn't shy...(you may have noticed his face is the only one featured in my shots  ;) )

Wore the dirt denim today. Long day on campus but I managed a few shots and I am committed to keeping my momentum. Slog through the weeks with me and I promise wild weekends!

Started with my cost accounting class. Ugh.

IMG_6166_zpsd5f0bc37.jpg

Didn't have a calculator or a pencil. Got to get my head in the game here.

Filled out my petition to graduate and a petition to do a unit overload this semester. Glutton for punishment. Not only because of the hell of balancing 20 units with my day job but also because of the nightmarish beurocracy that is my department office. Hard to believe what they charge for this education and how little consideration I get. After one year, I STILL havent gotten together with my advisor. And that includes 3 unanswered emails and 2 trips to his office during office hours only to find the door locked. What a guy.

Went to federal taxation for the individual. No photos. (You arent missing anything.)

Took the long way back to my car around the other side of the pond. You can see the ducks out on the island if you look closely. I get lazy and wear the same shit all the time so here again is the indigo crew neck.

IMG_6172_zpsac5719ce.jpg

IMG_6193_zpsfa82e3e3.jpg

IMG_6194_zpsba28816b.jpg

IMG_6196_zpsb52fbbd1.jpg

Found these berries out on the road less traveled. This isn't a common foot path back to the car so I had not seen them before. will have to check in later and grab a few when they get ripe.

IMG_6197_zps7be42b54.jpg

Was headed home but damn if I didnt get distracted and pull off real quick at Beercraft.

IMG_6198_zps34c5996d.jpg

I was sneaking in because class got out early but I was due home to clean the kitchen with my wife so I got right down to business. Had a 12oz Knee Deep "Simtra" triple ipa. 11.25% and 131 IBU! I'm not even really into this IPA arms race but when you get a chance to try something like this as fresh as it was you gotta go for it.

IMG_6199_zpsb93cb44c.jpg

Followed up with a 5oz Clown Shoes "Ride the Lion".. this is a bourbon barrel aged scotch ale. Malty and boozy as hell but a good contrast to the hops attack I just had.

IMG_6200_zps2ec2b616.jpg

Picked up these three bottles for the house. Will probably cellar the cascade for a year but I imagine the other two will be featured in updates soon.  ;)

IMG_6201_zps445c5c0f.jpg

Got home and played with Marlowe a bit.

IMG_6208_zps83873815.jpg

IMG_6220_zps4cc51ddf.jpg

and then, poured myself a High Water "Le Petit Diablotin" and settled in with some Exodus and an old Autopsy interview. Nice end to a long day.

IMG_6223_zps08ead3fd.jpg

except then I remembered that I have to do some work from home so I fired up the computer and put in a few hours. Ugh....

IMG_6224_zps8a93c0fd.jpg

Went to work from 7am to 1:30, then drove 1hr back to campus for 4 hours of school. I bet you guys are tired of seeing sloppy selfies of a boring campus though so lets pick up where I am driving away from school and I do a predictable the-sunlight-in-my-lap-is-making-my-jeans-come-alive-in-a-way-that-will-never-be-captured-with-this-iphone style shot...

IMG_6228_zps756872ae.jpg

and I decided after a long day I deserved a trip to the bottle barn.

IMG_6231_zps159d0cac.jpg

This is one of Santa Rosas best kept secrets. Or not I guess cause everyone around here knows about it. Its a warehouse space where they skimp on things like fridges or good lighting and just bring you rock bottom prices on killer wine, spirits and beer. Kind of a costco model for the liquid sins.

IMG_6233_zps7bec4d34.jpg

anyways, picked up some eviltwin pilsner and a farm to barrel sour blonde from almanac

IMG_6235_zps2fe6f48b.jpg

haven't tried that almanac yet but their sour pumpkin was really on point so i'm excited for it.

Then i drove down to petaluma to meet the wife and Marlowe at his favorite park.

The park was crazy, 14 dogs at its peak. Marlowe was having a lot of fun with a black poodle and a little lab/shepherd puppy.

IMG_6262_zps51f26b4e.jpg

IMG_6265_zps8b9694bb.jpg

We let Marlowe play for extra long until it got dark because he goes under the knife tomorrow to get fixed. =( They are going to have to keep him overnight which is really upsetting. I have such mixed feelings about this.. overpopulation, health issues, fulfillment for him, personality change...I go back and forth all the time... but my wife feels strongly so its happening. I know he had made a few fans here and I hope you guys will keep him in your thoughts tomorrow. It's regular stuff but it's still scary.

IMG_6342_zpse987e1af.jpg

after that we stopped at Lagunitas for dinner and a drink since its right across the street from the dogpark

IMG_6350_zps6467a04c.jpg

but when we got inside they informed us the bar and kitchen were "closed" even though closing time is 9 and it was 8:40. So why am I posting this? Well, because I want to take this opportunity to say I am, once again, pretty disappointed with lagunitas. This is the third time in a row I have gotten rude customer service from them. I worked at a pizza restaraunt for years, 5 minutes from closing is STILL OPEN people. Sorry, but thats how it is. Not only that, but I know you deal with rude drunks all the time but i'm endlessly polite so please don't reate me like a rude drunk until I give you reason to. I know we are in the middle of a craft beer surge and for them it's like a license to print money but after being a loyal customer for 10+ years im really sick of the new "you need us more than we need you" attitudes I always get there. Sorry Lagunitas but i've got plenty of other options.

Pulled Marlowe back up in my lap and went home

IMG_6353_zps6514c288.jpg

Went home and poured myself that EPIC brainless on cherries I picked up yesterday. Sadly, not to my tastes... a bit like a flat rose champagne but still good enough for a drink!

IMG_6355_zpsc1cb3926.jpg

^Plus I LOVE the color. Almost makes up for the lackluster flavors.

Then I took a call from a friend which meant I couldn't document the Evil Twin Pilsner I had (since my camera was against my ear) but it had a gigantic foamy 3D head. Silly even.

SO tomorrow Marlowe has his surgery, I have probably a 10-12 hr workday, and then a bit of metal ROYALTY from the Netherlands. I will be wearing the dirt denim so stay tuned.

ok...ok.... I was hasty getting this thrown together last night and want to explain a bit more about the Lagunitas thing. I know no one really cares but I don't like throwing around criticism so casually.

The three of us (me, the wife and Marlowe) walked into the dining area and helped ourself to a table. This is how things are done at Lagunitas.. first come first serve help yourself to tables. It was 8:35 and their posted hours on the front door are 9pm. Waiters and waitresses walked past us for about 2 minutes and we waited politely. Finally I saw one sort of heading past our table so I looked into her face and smiled to get her attention. Barely slowing down she sternly said while walking past "our kitchens closed and if you want a beer you'll get better service just going to the bar". Even the people at the table next to us turned to see why the icy treatment so I do not think it was all in my head. 

My wife offered to hold Marlowe while I went inside for a beer but I declined. It was embarrassing to stand up and walk out past the table that was clearly discussing the strange attitudes just displayed.

I understand that its tough work, and that at the end of the shift you can be really burnt out. I don't think she is a bad person. I do think that, as stated above.. the general attitude at Lagunitas (and frankly Russian River too..) is that they don't need me. And i'm reading that treatment loud and clear.  :(

Mini morning update to stay on track. Pulled on the dirt denim and kissed Marlowe goodbye so he could go with my wife to be dropped off for his castration holiday.

f6a23fe5-d673-4aa5-af0a-47ce51cc4a51_zps

IMG_6362_zpse5edc54b.jpg

Ambivalent doesn't begin to describe it. I really hope i'm making the right decision.

Unless he is s papered dog and you wanted to breed him is the only reason to keep them.  i have been in the same boat as you with several dogs.  first ones kept their nuts; they never had problems (and i was sure to raise them right (big sucks)) but they do wander more, especially if there is a faint smell of a b..tch in heat, territorially piss on stuff more, and if they do get in fights, regardless if they start it or not, if your dog has the balls, he's the one to blame.  just the way it is i've found.  dogs get cut now, less hassle, less fuss, fewer headaches.  i used to believe it was cruel, but they don't notice and they can still lick their change purse just fine.  always said i would want to keep them incase he turned out to be great dog so I could breed for a son.  hurts to loose a friend if it happens, but always possible to find another good soulmate. your making the right decision.  male pride.  been there.

More great updates! Keep it up for a few more weeks.

May I suggest that we change the order of participants, if BF does not object?

Whenever CS is passing on the pair he can ship locally to me (cheaper than shipping to BF in Germany) - I can pass it on to BF when I'm in Germany...

I was sneaking in because class got out early but I was due home to clean the kitchen with my wife so I got right down to business. Had a 12oz Knee Deep "Simtra" triple ipa. 11.25% and 131 IBU! I'm not even really into this IPA arms race but when you get a chance to try something like this as fresh as it was you gotta go for it.

IMG_6199_zpsb93cb44c.jpg

Have you had a chance to have Tuatara? It sits at a nice 167 IBU, can't remember the % was most likely around 10. But I might be a bit bias as my favourite beers are hoppy, but this one was great. Came from New Zealand and had a great fruity taste to it. But not a artificial one.

Also there most be a certain point where the IBU becomes irrelevant, as the 167 wasn't a whole lot bitter than say a 85-90

Edited by bradl

More great updates! Keep it up for a few more weeks.

May I suggest that we change the order of participants, if BF does not object?

Whenever CS is passing on the pair he can ship locally to me (cheaper than shipping to BF in Germany) - I can pass it on to BF when I'm in Germany...

I've no objection to this if b_F doesn't. Confused by "locally" though, are you in the US right now?

Have you had a chance to have Tuatara? It sits at a nice 167 IBU, can't remember the % was most likely around 10. But I might be a bit bias as my favourite beers are hoppy, but this one was great. Came from New Zealand and had a great fruity taste to it. But not a artificial one.

Also there most be a certain point where the IBU becomes irrelevant, as the 167 wasn't a whole lot bitter than say a 85-90

Haven't had it - i'm a victim of convenience I have to admit. I haven't been bottle trading in ages, i just let whats on the local shelves dictate my options lately but I will keep an eye out.

Funny you mention Mikkeller. Tough to come by on the west coast here but I had a bit of luck lately. Watch for my next update coming shortly after this post...

I've no objection to this if b_F doesn't. Confused by "locally" though, are you in the US right now?

My wife is American, with her family still in the Portland region.

But actually, I can use the US embassy mail service - takes a bit longer, but shipping is local and direct.

@TTC: Thanks for the response. Marlowe is papered, and selfishly I sure wish I could meet a litter of puppies from him, but it's probably not something I could ever do... shelter crowding and euthanasia issues being what they are.

@Foxy: Ok, sounds good. I suppose b_F will pop in here at some point and weigh in... though I can't imagine him having an issue. Ill contact you as it gets closer to the end of the month. Love Portland by the way, have lots of family up there and go up a few times a year. Always bring back lots of beer....

Ok, this update is a bit delayed but if you've been watching the news things are pretty wild in my neck of the woods...anyway here's 2.5 days worth of dirt denim activity...

After dropping Marlowe for surgery and working a long and grueling day I headed to Oakland to meet a friend for dinner

IMG_6370_zps357ab2f8.jpg

IMG_6371_zps28448f1b.jpg

and then we headed over the bridge into San Francisco to catch Dutch death metal legends Pentacle

IMG_6377_zpsb076ba15.jpg

IMG_6386_zpsccc26450.jpg

band was absolutely incredible... one of my favorites of course and my first chance to ever see them. y only complaint was that the show was $25 which means it was poorly attended.. and that it started about an hour and a half late making it so the bands was stopped three songs before finishing their set. Thee Parkside is a shitty venue. Avoid.

Got home at 3 am and went straight to bed.

Woke up at 8am excited to spring Marlowe. We raced to the hospital and they said he came through it great and that he was so sweet the nurses wanted to keep him. They probably say that to everyone...

IMG_6397_zps4f307cee.jpg

IMG_6399_zps4c00bb6b.jpg

Gave Marlowe his medication which knocked him out. Left him with the wife and went with two friends to my secret spot deep in the Healdsburg mountains for one of my other hobbies... target shooting!

IMG_6444_zps13e23482.jpg

Besides denim, I also collect firearms a bit. Today I decided to take my HK .40, HK 9mm, Colt Python, Rock Island 1911 and my SKS with me. 

IMG_6409_zpsd56b0ce2.jpg

My Healdsburg spot is awesome. So much better than any range. Takes quite a while to drive to but its pretty country...

We set up on the berm where people shoot (ok.. its not THAT secret) and my two friends and I spread out some things to try

IMG_6429_zps729f1ec1.jpg

IMG_6431_zpsc755bd88.jpg

Didn't get pictures of everything I shot but here is the Python

0d3d8d65-c1fc-44cd-a4c1-aa25705911e4_zps

my friends M1

IMG_6465_zps268dc5b5.jpg

my friends ARs (both of em)

IMG_6494_zps511ba186.jpg

IMG_6533_zps41bc0f0c.jpg

and the three of us:

IMG_6499_zps67bad063.jpg

The view is incredible, here is the shot behind us.

IMG_6427_zps3850b957.jpg

My phone died so i didnt get shots of us shooting clays off the edge of the cliff (they float forever)

or the pics of the six pack of Dales Pale Ale we drank on my tailgate AFTER locking up the guns for the day. 

(I love a drink after a few hours of shooting but I never let the two overlap)

Got in my car to head back to civilization. Got my phone charged and snapped a pic of this goofball I was driving behind. Only in CA...

IMG_6508_zpsced51b51.jpg

Ran down to Petaluma for some errands. Hit the market first and got some dinner to eat while walking. Gluten!

IMG_6510_zps773f1d09.jpg

Dropped by the book store downtown to grab something i've been meaning to pick up.

IMG_6511_zps0656d620.jpg

IMG_6512_zps6703cc17.jpg

and the bookstore is right next to The Roaring Donkey where I was meeting a very close friend and his lady for drinks.

IMG_6514_zps6372a30a.jpg

IMG_6517_zps2e2a3514.jpg

we got out of the bar and hit my favorite spot for drinks...my fridge at home..

IMG_6518_zps970ff3aa.jpg

IMG_6519_zpsaef0fcfb.jpg

AWESOME collab w/ Bell Brewing

IMG_6525_zpsfbd38145.jpg

The Mikkeller I promised... soo much Chipotle for me though =(

IMG_6526_zpse26294d1.jpg

so then I went to bed and slept like a rock...

until...

Marlowe started barking like CRAZY at 3:07 am. I woke up and was telling him to stop (he NEVER barks) when I realized the bed was bouncing around and roaring. My wife started screaming. The guests in the guest room started screaming. Then it was over. It always after it's done that you realize you just experienced and earthquake. This was a MAJOR one. The biggest since the 89 quake. Obviously, we are all fine. Some stuff flew off shelves but no one was hurt. I don't live in Napa but im close enough. It moved my bed out a few inches from the wall with both of us on it. Scary.

Finally got back to sleep after a few hours of phone calls. Family members checking up and also having our production manager run over to the warehouse and check our stock...(The factory is closer to Napa than I am even... less than 10 miles.)

Woke up and went to breakfast. Midtown Cafe again.

IMG_6536_zps98b2418d.jpg

IMG_6537_zpsa3e11d90.jpg

Went with my friend to his parents house to pack up some of his stuff. We drank up that Sage Saison. It is EXCELLENT.

IMG_6540_zpsdd67e37e.jpg

Edited by ColdStorage

Owning a truck means you always help friends move

IMG_6544_zps11efd6c3.jpg

Got out to Oakland and unloaded. Real friendship is lugging your friends vinyls into his second floor apartment....

IMG_6545_zpsed6d8aff.jpg

but he did buy me delicious Ethiopian food for dinner.

IMG_6547_zpsed61e3d3.jpg

Just got home and cracked a hair of the dog and set about writing up my weekend.

IMG_6550_zpsa3d58236.jpg

and now we are up to date!

Sorry for the lagtime and thanks for slogging through it all. Back to school this week, maybe I can take advantage of the adventure free weekdays to get some better shots of the Dirt Denim. 

↑ I'm just back from a trip through Illinois. The drink drive limits, if my meagre maths are right, are the same as in the UK. We say 80mg of alcohol in 100ml of blood. The many warning signs on I55 said: .08% was the limit.

But bearing in mind how blind drunk some of the US guys I was with were as they slipped into the driver's seat, I don't think it has anywhere near the same taboo. And of course the public transport options are, ahem, limited. 

I do hope I wasn't the only one to think 'cone of shame' when I saw the pup post-op. 

How much can you legally drink and drive in the US?

Yup, .08 percent. I suppose I shouldn't be so casual but I assure you that if you look closely I never have more than 1 maybe 2 drinks until I'm in for the night. For example, that sage saison I had midday was a 20oz bomber split 5 ways so just a taste. And te night before at the donkey I had my friend give me half a firestone DBA and didn't touch anything else til I got home, all drinks on the table were my friends who rode w/ me when they left. Exception would be my first update where I had 4 drinks at beercraft but those were 5oz taster pours...

A guy my weight can have 2-3 beers with no food over the course of 2 hours and still be below .08... These days, I never drive when I'm doing serious drinking. Admittedly, I was a bit less strict in my youth.

ColdStorage: do you live in Petaluma? That's my hometown!

Grew up in Novato. Lived in Petaluma for 7 years (near the Whole Foods in a really cool old house) but living in south Santa Rosa currently. I plan to buy in west Petaluma once I'm out of school and working full time. You come back to visit often?

@Foxy: Ok, sounds good. I suppose b_F will pop in here at some point and weigh in... though I can't imagine him having an issue. Ill contact you as it gets closer to the end of the month. Love Portland by the way, have lots of family up there and go up a few times a year. Always bring back lots of beer....

I'll Check with T-Man in the meantime, just to make sure...

Yup, PDX's a lovely place with lots of weather.

No rush with passing on the jeans - we are all enjoying the show!

Grew up in Novato. Lived in Petaluma for 7 years (near the Whole Foods in a really cool old house) but living in south Santa Rosa currently. I plan to buy in west Petaluma once I'm out of school and working full time. You come back to visit often?

Smart move--I'd love to move back some day. And I can't make it back very often, unfortunately, but I wish I could. 

^Good enough, off to Foxy they will go... after i've had my way.

You should take them though, even if it's just for a week. 

Had class today. Well.. 3 classes actually. Every monday and wednesday. Cost accounting, Federal income tax of the individual, advanced accounting...

walked past the pond on the way to my car.

IMG_6553_zps1059940f.jpg

IMG_6555_zpscfb31851.jpg

Here is something pretty interesting, on the far side of the pond is a memorial art sculpture... two train tracks that start at a regular distance but slowly intersect right at this glass tower.

IMG_6558_zps39228ef9.jpg

The trestles are made of memorial bricks bought by donors, and the different little symbols on them represent different atrocities... like the ones with a butterfly and barbwire are for Holocaust victims.

IMG_6559_zps84ebd63e.jpg

Where the tracks meet...

IMG_6561_zpsa4f95104.jpg

Stopped by beercraft (hey... it's right by campus, plus I had a specific purpose...)

IMG_6565_zps1e5580f5.jpg

had a small Oak Aged Bretta that was INCREDIBLE

IMG_6562_zps17945652.jpg

and then a small 831 IPA

IMG_6563_zps122f591b.jpg

but my real purpose was to pick up some more of that delicious Sage Saison. I planned on getting 4-5 bottles but they had sold down to the last 2. I took em both.

IMG_6566_zpsad419483.jpg

after that I got a call I have been waiting for so I hopped in the car and drove out to Oakland to pick up something special. See, before I collected denim, or whisky, or beer, or firearms I collected records. I still have the first one my parents gave me when I was five. My main interest is metal and for 15 years now if anyone asked me what my favorite record was I would always tell them "That question is impossible to answer with all the music out there, but the best metal record is "Stillbirth Machine" by ORDER FROM CHAOS." This record is such an unmatched triumph.... To say I am fanatical about this band would be an understatement. Nuclear War Now! announced the 12 lp complete discography two years ago and as it has slowly come together I have loaned some of my opinions and resources towards the project. It will come with a hardbound 100+ page book with interviews, lyrics, unseen pictures, etc etc. Anyway, as a thanks for my participation, and as a further chore towards seeing it through, I was told I would be given a copy of the test presses when they were done so I could review them and check for any skips, flaws, bad mastering, etc... Well, today they had arrived at NWN! headquarters... I could have waited a few days to have them brought out but I drove an hour each way to pick them up.

IMG_6575_zps79d0a041.jpg

Test presses on all different colors but I believe there will be just black vinyl for the final version.

IMG_6578_zps19dff674.jpg

Started listening through and poured myself a drink. I had been saving the Ballast Point collab from the beer camp box. Id call it very good but not great... 

IMG_6581_zps7c8632b3.jpg

and as I type this up and hit the first side of the third LP I pour my second beer, the Evil Twin Pilsner. This thing poured angry..

IMG_6584_zps914e5d42.jpg

Tomorrow... more school but stick with me... I've got some big plans for my last weekend with the Dirt Denim. Ill just have to look for some "great in the small" until then.