rent $$$

Guest bikesearcher

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

huzzah, written like a true New Faker!

there are plenty of supermarkets, grocery stores, health food stores, and specialty shops in the outer boroughs, and finding them is sure, a little bit more difficult than stumbling into the fifth starbucks within a five mile radius, but it isn't impossible. in other words, we're not all starving for nourishment and picking half-eaten Burger King out of dumpsters when we tire of lugging groceries home on the subway. you basically just asserted that there is only edible food to be found in manhattan, and all the outer boroughs are wastelands. you seriously, seriously need to just shut the fuck up and either get educated or continue living out your ill-informed fantasies quietly.

yours truly,

a concerned new yorker who knows better than you.

you are clearly not understanding what i'm saying. all i'm saying is that the more expensive parts of brooklyn DO offer more ammenities. That's it. in the last five years i've lived in Bushwick, Greenpoint, and Carroll Gardens; guess what they have in common? THEY'RE ALL IN BROOKLYN!!! Do i pay a lot more rent now in Carroll Gardens then I did in a loft share in Bushwick five years ago? Of course, but my lifestyle and requirements for ammenities have changed accordingly. There is no reason to assume that Brooklyn rent prices should remain low when these nieghborhoods offer everything that can be found across the east river.

This is my ONLY point. I don't live in Manhattan or eat out of gutters either.

I love that in the king of immigrant cities there are arguments about who is more New York. Fuckin ridiculous.

Anywho I currently live in the home of the 2005 superbowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers. I live in North Oakland just next to the Hill where that infamous episode of Cops was filmed. My flat mate and I split our $820 rent down the middle for a pretty kickass two bedroom apartment with a good amount of common space and a well stocked kitchen.

never would want to live in new york.

or, let me put it this way, i would never live in any city where proving i am a "real" inhabitant of that city takes more energy than actually living in that city.

apparently now only people born and raised in new york (city) who now reside in the les are true new yorkers now, swinging around their huge new york penis. the size is directly proportional to how much of a true new yorker you are and how much you're able to make fun of/spot out-of-towners.

have fun with that.

//edit: thorns killed it

i don't see nuthin' wrong with having a bit of a severe sense of hometown pride. especially since i don't live on the LES, and only take jabs at out-of-towners when they say something blatantly incorrect, racist, or classist about NYC. honestly, if i can't give shit to the rich kids who move here and act like they own shit after three weeks, what's the use? immigrants are humble folks, these people are assholes that deserve to get gutted.

not necessarily, although it does seem obvious. on a semantic level, sure. but, i also could get into the whole sociological implications of classism in america and the effect-response-reply model of class struggle and why the term classism is a misnomer because it abstractly levels a playing field that is, in reality, not level at all, thus weakening the oft-legitimate criticisms of lower socio-economic stratum against those in higher strata, but then i'd be doing my homework on supertalk instead of avoiding my homework on supertalk.

I live in Salt Lake City. Me and a friend are moving into an apartment next week. 2 bedroom, 1 bath. $350 each plus utilities a month. It's only about 5 minutes from downtown and 5 minutes from the University, so it's a good deal.

not necessarily, although it does seem obvious. on a semantic level, sure. but, i also could get into the whole sociological implications of classism in america and the effect-response-reply model of class struggle and why the term classism is a misnomer because it abstractly levels a playing field that is, in reality, not level at all, thus weakening the oft-legitimate criticisms of lower socio-economic stratum against those in higher strata, but then i'd be doing my homework on supertalk instead of avoiding my homework on supertalk.

what he said.

maybe.

?

I agree with this comment completely, but based on that arguement wouldn't it follow that the super-rich, born-and-raised Manhattanites of the Upper East and Upper West Sides should, as you so humbly state, "get gutted" as well???

Seems like a class statement [that you're making] not a criticism of who's more "New York". Some of the kids that move to NYC probably have a lot more in common with you than many who have been raised in NYC.

yes, that logic would probably lead one down the "gut the old money upper-crust NYC families", and while that, too, might be pleasurable, i should be more careful about saying things like that before i'm no longer allowed to shop in Barney's.

i think the statement i'm trying to make has a lot more to do with how one perceives themself in relation to their environment. would i identify more with an out of towner i have many things in common with than with a born n' raised new yorker who never leaves Manhattan, never rides the subway, and holds views opposed to mine? of course i'd pick the out of towner.

what peeves me is anyone at all who calls this place their home and ignores 4/5s of it, or ignores the diversity, either through sheer laziness or yes, "classism" and "racism". i just have a really, really deep love for NYC and i feel when people swoop in here, or establish roots here, and start cultivating their own lived experience of the city that excludes more than half of what it has to offer, that they're defeating the purpose of actually being here- it's insincere, and i'm a protective asshole, so i mouth off.

what peeves me is anyone at all who calls this place their home and ignores 4/5s of it, or ignores the diversity, either through sheer laziness or yes, "classism" and "racism". i just have a really, really deep love for NYC and i feel when people swoop in here, or establish roots here, and start cultivating their own lived experience of the city that excludes more than half of what it has to offer, that they're defeating the purpose of actually being here- it's insincere

well said. this logic should be applied to anyplace anyone chooses to call "home." just make sure you have respect for those choose to move here as well, because at one point or another (unless you're lanape native american) we all did.

but - to get this back to the rent question. A good deal that no one in this thread has mentioned yet is greenpoint. I paid 950 for a decent sized one-bedroom (2004-last august) on a nice block. plus AWESOME polish butchers, bakeries... close to lots of other stuff and really beautiful old manufacturing buildings along west st. next to the east river.

well said. this logic should be applied to anyplace anyone chooses to call "home." just make sure you have respect for those choose to move here as well, because at one point or another (unless you're lanape native american) we all did.

but - to get this back to the rent question. A good deal that no one in this thread has mentioned yet is greenpoint. I paid 950 for a decent sized one-bedroom (2004-last august) on a nice block. plus AWESOME polish butchers, bakeries... close to lots of other stuff and really beautiful old manufacturing buildings along west st. next to the east river.

How's the train, the G used to suck when I road it everyday a decade ago

How's the train, the G used to suck when I road it everyday a decade ago

it's gotten A LOT better than even a few years ago. While it doesn't come as frequently as the L (every eight minutes during rush hours versus every 4 on the L) it is pretty puntual now (no more forty minute waits for the train to come). and since it's still relatively lightly ridden, it does get all backed up like the L or the F. I actually grew to like the G when i'd ride it's entire length to visit my girlfriend off the Smith and 9th stop.

Plus you can always take the B61 bus to the Driggs and N7th and take the L. about a 15 minute bus ride from northern greenpoint. But i'd wager money you'd get there quicker with the G.

what peeves me is anyone at all who calls this place their home and ignores 4/5s of it, or ignores the diversity, either through sheer laziness or yes, "classism" and "racism". i just have a really, really deep love for NYC and i feel when people swoop in here, or establish roots here, and start cultivating their own lived experience of the city that excludes more than half of what it has to offer, that they're defeating the purpose of actually being here- it's insincere, and i'm a protective asshole, so i mouth off.

onemancult, or anyone: out of curiousity (as opposed to disagreement), how does you apply this position to, for instance, the chinese inhabitants of chinatown? i mean, despite the fact that a lot of that population has been where it is for over half a century, they still receive many very-far-out-of-towners regularly, and they still remain pretty insular.

granted, their socioeconomic status is, more often than not, substantially lower than those out-of-towners to which (i think) you're really referring, making their experience of new york a lot less "omg let's go party and shop like we're on sex and the city" and a lot more "stay afloat", but i still think they might fit your definition of ignoring a majority of the city's culture. let me also say that i feel a particular sincerity in and about chinatown. any thoughts?

oh, i pay 1400 (or rather, i accumulate loans) for a large-ish studio on the red hook waterfront. it's a great apartment, but not a sustainable price for me, really. oops.

I honestly think that people lost their minds as far as rent prices go in NYC. LES and Williamsburg shitty apts going for stupidly high prices which means that you either split the rent or you're a well of kid who's parents pay for most of the rent because they think you are going to have some kind of career. Not to even mention the high rise apt. buildings they are shitting out everywhere like on the slow ass M train. Seriously. How many new yorkers want to pay $3000 in rent. And the average income of people in those neighborhoods is $25,000. .

onemancult, or anyone: out of curiousity (as opposed to disagreement), how does you apply this position to, for instance, the chinese inhabitants of chinatown? i mean, despite the fact that a lot of that population has been where it is for over half a century, they still receive many very-far-out-of-towners regularly, and they still remain pretty insular.

granted, their socioeconomic status is, more often than not, substantially lower than those out-of-towners to which (i think) you're really referring, making their experience of new york a lot less "omg let's go party and shop like we're on sex and the city" and a lot more "stay afloat", but i still think they might fit your definition of ignoring a majority of the city's culture. let me also say that i feel a particular sincerity in and about chinatown. any thoughts?

oh, i pay 1400 (or rather, i accumulate loans) for a large-ish studio on the red hook waterfront. it's a great apartment, but not a sustainable price for me, really. oops.

how do i apply my position in this situation? as you'd probably imagine, i don't. what i try to do is constantly hone my position so that i am more careful about delineating what i see as the line that divides the good and the bad about the 'immigrant experience' of NYC. so, thanks for bringing this up, and making me think about this further.

i think that what matters most is that you are experiencing or are a part of some sort of genuine cultural grouping in this city. as far as ethnically-homogenous communities around new york, i could not in good conscience fault them for staying within their stomping grounds. rather, i commend them for partaking in a genuine shared cultural experience. nyc's chinatown is not san francisco's chinatown, and it certainly isn't china- they're partaking of and contributing to a unique experience that has two pillars supporting it: new york city and being chinese. those two things are very, very real, and very, very genuine. you can't deny those things anything, they are what they are.

unfortunately, as someone might point out, being wealthy and insensitive to certain issues by ignorance or by will, is also very, very real to people. and it is genuine, insofar as those people feel that there is either no problem with their mindset, or that their mindset is 'correct'. however, the experience of being a well-off twentysomething in new york city can definitely be denied. money runs out. the exciting new clubs turn into the same old clubs. your fun circle of like-minded friends turns into the same old shitheads you're wasting your life away with. the drugs go bad, the taxi driver takes you to the wrong neighborhood- and you don't have a fucking clue where you are all of a sudden because you never venture above Chelsea or beyond Bed-Stuy.

maybe i shouldn't try to further the age-old argument of what makes a real new yorker-

everyone's experience is different. but, at the same time, this is fucking new york city-

it is simultaneously the biggest deal in the world, and no big deal, and if you don't manage to dedicate enough of yourself to discovering why that paradox is true, then you don't get yr bagel badge in my book.

We have a studio in Yorkville (well, let's call it the Upper East Side) at 78th and York that costs us $1525 (City and Suburban, you may have heard of it. Surprisingly many people we know who have lived in NY lived here), utilities included. We also have a place in the DC Metro area that has a mortgage of about 1350 a month, for a 3 bed, 1.5 bath townhouse. I bought before the real estate boom, and the house has increased in price by over 50%.

I've noticed that the whole 9/11 thing seems to separate New Yorkers as well, like those who were here at that time are 'Real' New Yorkers, while those who came after are not.

All I know is any place where you can order a wood oven pizza for delivery that is better than any pizza you've ever had anywhere in DC is pretty special.

We have a studio in Yorkville (well, let's call it the Upper East Side) at 78th and York that costs us $1525

Shit, I was pissed in LA at paying $1200 for a brand new studio blocks from the beach; New York is bonkers.......I couldn't justify that much for a studio.

I live in K-town. Luckily got a rent-controlled 1 bedroom with a huge living room before gentrification takes this place to new heights.

1k for it all and I share with a room-mate.

My girlfriend and i found what HAS to be the single most overpriced "neighborhood" in NYC this weekend. We were looking at apartments and found some listings for an area called "Columbia St. West/Waterfront". For those of you familiar with Brooklyn, it's the skinny sliver of land between Red Hook proper and Carroll Gardens/Cobble Hill sandwiched between the BQE on the east and the Battery Tunnel on ramp/shipping docks on the west. We were shown an tiny 1 bedroom (around 400 sf) that overlooked to the back both the BQE and the on ramp (smelled accordingly). Cost per month: $1650, similar 2 bedroom: $2700. It's crazy, you're a good fifteen minutes from any of the trains...

It's a word of warning to those thinking of moving to NYC; realtors invent neighborhoods and locations all the time.

My girlfriend and i found what HAS to be the single most overpriced "neighborhood" in NYC this weekend. We were looking at apartments and found some listings for an area called "Columbia St. West/Waterfront". For those of you familiar with Brooklyn, it's the skinny sliver of land between Red Hook proper and Carroll Gardens/Cobble Hill sandwiched between the BQE on the east and the Battery Tunnel on ramp/shipping docks on the west. We were shown an tiny 1 bedroom (around 400 sf) that overlooked to the back both the BQE and the on ramp (smelled accordingly). Cost per month: $1650, similar 2 bedroom: $2700. It's crazy, you're a good fifteen minutes from any of the trains...

It's a word of warning to those thinking of moving to NYC; realtors invent neighborhoods and locations all the time.

The best is when they tell you the community is thriving... you mean, Mr. Realtor, the one you just came up with a name for?

The best is when they tell you the community is thriving... you mean, Mr. Realtor, the one you just came up with a name for?

Yeah, the funniest thing is just reading through the one line descriptions when you search a neighborhood on Craigslist. "thriving community, minutes from subway and ammenities..." translates to "there's a bodega on the corner with mostly empty shelves and if you walk for ten blocks you can catch the bus..."

great.