Denim Experiment

Chicken

I guess my biggest concern is the rise being too high, although after a soak and some good wear, you just end up with a little wrinkle below the back pockets, and the butt ends up looking fine. I want to hem my pair, and will probably want to do a little spot shrink/stretch, but if there are going to be rules against, I'll hold off.

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is cheating allowed?

what i mean is, y'all should clearly specify:

no hand-rubbing - only if you really have to ...

no starching - why would you do that to a Samurai ??

no sandpapering - Shame on you !

no clips - whatever

no performance-enhancing substances - NO NO

no dogs - well - I will give it some thought ....Decided - Dogs allowed

no shoes - not in ur backpocket !!

no shirt - if you say so..

no service - I don't think so !

or whatever

clear rules, i mean

ANYHOW - RULES AFTER LISTING

I think we should let the folks over at Samurai dictate the rules. Starching could be considered cheating by some, and for others, it's part of their daily routine. Clips and sandpaper are obvious, but going out of your way to get better wear could be considered cheating too. It's just like that stupid "Go to the gym in your jeans" thread.

is cheating allowed?

what i mean is, y'all should clearly specify:

no hand-rubbing

no starching

no sandpapering

no clips

no performance-enhancing substances

no dogs

no shoes

no shirt

no service

or whatever

clear rules, i mean

^ seconded. i am holding out for a jeans sponsorship.

"pleased to meet you, i'm _________, a sponsored denimist. come down to my basement, where i keep my trophies. why aren't you drinking your hot chocolate? don't you like it? it's an ancient family recipe. oh... you are shivering like a wet puppy. a beautiful wet puppy. hey, where are you going?"

i think samurai should sweeten the deal slightly

Guest jeffvyain

getting the best wear does not necessarily mean getting the highest contrast. we should keep this in mind. for example...look at ryu's canes. they're definitely high contrast, but i've seen more contrasted lap fade and honeycombs...but they have not necessarily looked better.

any word on whether these will have specially numbered tags and such?

"pleased to meet you, i'm _________, a sponsored denimist. come down to my basement, where i keep my trophies. why aren't you drinking your hot chocolate? don't you like it? it's an ancient family recipe. oh... you are shivering like a wet puppy. a beautiful wet puppy. hey, where are you going?"

you, sir D.D von ML are inspiringly insane, and warm my heart.

beatle, about creating a website... wouldn't a stickied thread suffice? i think it would be wrong to take this out of superfuture. not that i have a say in the matter though..i just... i just...thought...i......

i second the sponsorship idea.... if you want i can talk to them... i can be pretty convincing sometimes... sometimes not... maybe ddml and i could double-team the samuari girl.... well, that would get us free jeans....nevermind.

I understand the competitive part of this, but at the same time it'd be interesting to see how different people wear (both in fit and abuse) their jeans. As a person who sits on his ass all day, even with daily use they won't get as much wear as a carpenter or a welder. Also, as a person who in his spare time doesn't wear his jeans except to walk around in, they won't get as much wear as a skate boarder or someone who lifts(?) in his jeans.

Unfortunately I can't join in, my wife would kill me. I wish I could, tho.

I'm surprised we can't get a sponsorship deal to be honest. or at least sell the jeans to participants at wholesale prices, rather than full retail...

bear in mind, Samurai will sell their jeans to retailers at wholesale prices (the retailer normally puts a 150 -200 - 250% mark up on the wholesale price) yet Samurai is charging people here, from manufacturer to consumer (with no midlleman, the retailer) full whack.

as a PR piece for their website and marketing it's fantastic.

Hey, I got a few ideas...

For the website thing, we could just do a dedicated thread where each member will make a post stating their names, sizing, whatever, and then another for future use where we could post pics in the future and stuff (since theres a 4 pic cap, which sucks btw).

Also, Samurai said they would number the jeans right? So how about we arrange it by the number of the jeans (ie. Beatle = 1, mickawes = 13, etc. etc.), and then post them in that order. It can be like a lettermens jacket, but stiffer and a little harder to get. (ps. I would like to reserve jean number 13 please!)

As for rules and stuff, people who have jobs in construction could also be considered cheating by someone who sits on his ass for 12 hours of the day, so I think that it should be anything goes! Even like patches, and removing stitching and whatever crap.

Also, I dont think we should ask for sponsorship for 2 reasons. A.) They are already doing us a favor by offering a prize and are doing it because it means that 30 pair of jeans are already sold. I doubt they would make us jeans for free. and B.) I want to keep my pair!

What you guys think?

the fit is similar to s5000vx, a tad smaller leg opening as someone else said, but basically the same. However, I wonder if the rise isn't also a tad higher. It is very important to know this as the S5000 shrinks to 2" bigger thantag size(because Samurai thought the rise was so low on these) while most/all other Samurais shrink to tag size.

Still waiting for Toshiko to answer my email.

waiting for your reply kind sir!

I know it's not cheap...but keep focused - u wont be bying any other Denim for a year...Cause once ur in - you want to win....

I doubt that any company would give us sponsorship - I mean it's not like we're Sharon Stone or Al Pacino...

So - pm Listing with size and Full Name if ur in !

I know it's not cheap...but keep focused - u wont be bying any other Denim for a year...Cause once ur in - you want to win....

I doubt that any company would give us sponsorship - I mean it's not like we're Sharon Stone or Al Pacino...

So - pm Listing with size and Full Name if ur in !

thats what i told myself the like the first 20 pairs i bought this year

Hey, I got a few ideas...

For the website thing, we could just do a dedicated thread where each member will make a post stating their names, sizing, whatever, and then another for future use where we could post pics in the future and stuff (since theres a 4 pic cap, which sucks btw).

What you guys think?

I think that idea would really clutter the boards. What I had in mind was a dedicated website where every participant has a diary page that can be edited very easily through a forum-like interface. It would be like 30 little denim blogs on one site with detailed reports updated quite frenquently.

Just my idea....