dyeing clothes

xcoldricex

check out "Dharma fiber reactive procion dyes".... i have only used them once for some simple dyeing and it seemed to do a good job

i would like to see if it lives up to their claims of never fading, even after multiple washes.... i may have to dye a jacket or some pants next

anyways they seem to have various hues in every color you could need

Actually, I don't think the Rit Black Dye is very good..

I used it quite often lately, and it always seems not to be able to achieve the purest black color, often has tinge of purple (which I didn't notice as much in the beginning).

Kumo, where can you purchase that dye you used? The result looks great.

it seems like finding a red or black pigment that is strong is pretty hard. most red pigments in paint are fairly expensive as well.

anyone know any shops around the garment district in NYC that would be possible reference points? i thought about just going up to mood or some shit and finding out what they know.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have successfully dyed our garments black using dharma's jet black. I think for about 4 pounds of fabric I used almost a pound of dye, and about 20-25 pounds of salt. I let it sit in the washing machine for about 2 hours after I added the soda ash. If you don't skimp on the dye and the salt, it will get black...

• 5 weeks later...

me and mah homie didit a homeproject sorta shits

in the process of opening the RIT dye package, we basically dyed my kitchen blue. note to everyone, do not open the package indoors if you're an idiot.

we dyed three tees (two by accident though, we wanted gradients but failed), redyed a pair of cheap mondays, and overdyed a green military jacket.

pics:

2lxhvr4.jpg

here's a before of the jacket

2mcsmyc.jpg

4dzhvk2.jpg

2ic3bmf.jpg

309iikk.jpg

(we tried to do gradient style shit, but they got all FUCKED in the wash.

results

4dovh1z.jpg

30aaudf.jpg

2pzwkrm.jpg

35lrpcm.jpg

my tees got all fucked up in the wash, they were supposed to have black to white gradients, but turned a grey colour (really like the colour though)

my cheap mondays are nice and BLACK (a success)

friend's tshirt got fucked a little, turned a brown/yellow/green colour

friend's mil jacket turned dark dark green with black stitching (cool, but not what we were aiming for)

spoon

me and mah homie didit a homeproject sorta shits

in the process of opening the RIT dye package, we basically dyed my kitchen blue. note to everyone, do not open the package indoors if you're an idiot.

we dyed three tees (two by accident though, we wanted gradients but failed), redyed a pair of cheap mondays, and overdyed a green military jacket.

pics:

2lxhvr4.jpg

here's a before of the jacket

2mcsmyc.jpg

4dzhvk2.jpg

2ic3bmf.jpg

309iikk.jpg

(we tried to do gradient style shit, but they got all FUCKED in the wash.

results

4dovh1z.jpg

30aaudf.jpg

2pzwkrm.jpg

35lrpcm.jpg

my tees got all fucked up in the wash, they were supposed to have black to white gradients, but turned a grey colour (really like the colour though)

my cheap mondays are nice and BLACK (a success)

friend's tshirt got fucked a little, turned a brown/yellow/green colour

friend's mil jacket turned dark dark green with black stitching (cool, but not what we were aiming for)

spoon

We need to Urea the jacket/shirt and dye them again. also lrn2takepics4serious cockfag.

• 2 months later...

iirc it was poly800 that died a green tiger fleece to black. I have personally died a white tiger fleece using 2 bottles of black rit dye. It turned out a pretty nice dark purple. Problem is though that rit dye is not a very good dye and my sweater bleeds a lot every wash. The tiger effect doesnt happen either.

• 3 months later...

I did a quick google site search for this, but I couldn't really find anything satisfactory. I just got a Spruce TF that fits really well, but I feel like the colors a bit...girly for me. Now, I was just wondering if anyone could recommend methods of dying it darker or a different color or anything, and if there is anything special I need to do given the nature of the material. Or maybe I could just resell it..

(I apologize if this has been discussed before)

• 5 years later...

this video is garbage. shit looks more purple than black (rit will do that). it won't dye the stitching, which will often look retarded. if you need to use rit make sure you add a lot of salt if you're dyeing cotton. get a big construction bucket $2, otherwise it will be hard to stir. leave your stuff for an hour or two for better results. and the most important, don't use rit.

this video is garbage. shit looks more purple than black (rit will do that). it won't dye the stitching, which will often look retarded. if you need to use rit make sure you add a lot of salt if you're dyeing cotton. get a big construction bucket $2, otherwise it will be hard to stir. leave your stuff for an hour or two for better results. and the most important, don't use rit.

shiiiiet video was A+++ all things wavy.

I've done a few pieces in dylon, their black is a really deep, flat black, no purple sheen or anything. Like all dyes, polyester stitching won't absorb the dye so if you're dyeing something light colored darker, expect the stitching to contrast heavily.