dyeing clothes

xcoldricex

does anyone have any experience with this? if anyone has some pointers/advice/direction in this area any information would be appreciated. i had this scarf lying around that i never wore because i could never match it- so i decided to dye it black (i actually hoped i could get it a lighter black/grey, i didn't think it would take up the color so fast). i'd like to explore this further, trying to get nice blends of colors- particularly a purplish grey, bluish grey, and dark green/black. here's some pictures.

before:

2645hmu.jpg

after:

2645lb6.jpg

i wanna dye this shirt also, the seams are taped with a brown color tape, which you see at the seams on the other side. what color would go well with that?

2645n3k.jpg

inside out:

2645ls7.jpg

Black, Navy, any of those deep dark colours have very high concentrations of dye. If you want to have interesting variations of colour, just make sure that the bundles are relatively tight before you dye, and skip the step where they ask you to put in salt. Salt gives garments an even dye. Also, you might just want to swirl the garment in once, twice, then quickly out.

Only thing I can think of right now that'd go with that tape is maybe a dark chocolate. Or you can consider the tape as a natural/leather colour, and anything that ggoes with that will go. Navy?

i was really close to dying the nice collective jacket that i got (i really don't wear anything that is khaki colored these days) buy ended up not doing due to the fact i was scared about losing color when I washed it, plus i remember last time I dyed something it bled like crazy for a long time.

i think the color loss would be pretty cool- and well you can always dye it again.

i just went with RIT dye as it was a small project- i've looked online and might order stuff for later. i have a friend that traveled around studying traditional natural dyes and methods so maybe she can help me out, but she has no experience with synthetic dyes.

• 1 month later...

thanks for the info, I'll check it out later on

I've dyed a few t-shirts, the good thing is that dyeing doesn't affect the prints. I used a color remover for a blueish grey t-shirt and oddly enough it turned into a nice beige. if that wasn't weird enough I used it on a similar colored hoody and it turned into a darker beige. apparently thats the base fabric used for a color like that and the beige coloring was done in someway which the remover didnt affect.

I dyed my Spruce hoodie!

original: (tiger fleece purple; pretty bright purple)

spruce_purple1b4f.jpg

after a 25 minute bath in a bucket of Rit black dye:

spruce_purple27ce.jpg

(I look like a Luisaviaroma model :( )

Anyhow, I'm very pleased. I was kind of sick of it being so god damn PURPLE so I was hoping the black dye would do something interesting. It didn't really dye it black, so much as make it a much darker purple. But I think it looks a lot better now... the heathering is much more subtle, and the bright purple stitching REALLY stands out now. very pleased.

About two years ago I experimented by dying natural-colored shirts with veggie indigo in a small cement-brick vat. It was pretty interesting but a ton of work and with very varied results - I didn't get a single shirt that came out a nice solid blue (was hoping for a 45rpm-ish result. fat chance I guess)

Oh well. I still recommend it to others as a fun experiment (although dropping $10 a shirt for Alt. Apparel because you SWEAR the next one is gonna be the right one gets pricey). I found the materials on a website that I just found through google.

I dyed my Spruce hoodie!

original: (tiger fleece purple; pretty bright purple)

spruce_purple1b4f.jpg

after a 25 minute bath in a bucket of Rit black dye:

spruce_purple27ce.jpg

(I look like a Luisaviaroma model :( )

Anyhow, I'm very pleased. I was kind of sick of it being so god damn PURPLE so I was hoping the black dye would do something interesting. It didn't really dye it black, so much as make it a much darker purple. But I think it looks a lot better now... the heathering is much more subtle, and the bright purple stitching REALLY stands out now. very pleased.

thats good to know, and it looks really good as the black on my spruce hoodie is fading and its nice to know there is a way to get that color back

minya what kind of dye did you use? i got a cheap pair of white jeans on sale and i wanna dye em black. i was wondering what i need to use and how to do it. do i have to use some kind of dye remover first? thx.

personally, i prefer to use the tub method just because i like to see the effect myself. imo, its more satisfying to do it manually despite all the careful cleaning up you're going to have to do when you're done. make sure you have chlorine bleach or whatever to clean up with.

the washing machine method sort of dyes the inside of the machine; make sure you wash it out afterward so you don't accidentally dye your laundry lol. buuut you'll have to wash the dyed article like maybe 3 times by itself to get rid of the excess dye anyway; so this saves soo much time.

imo, liquid dye is so much better than powder dye for like every reason out there.rit is good and you can find it anywhere. i prefer to add the salt after i dunk the thing in the tub. im sure it doesnt make a difference but salt supposedly drives the dye out of the solution and into the fibers so I like that feeling of dying the whole article at once. it just makes me feel warm inside.

• 4 weeks later...

_DSC4653_5sM6axC6ioKI.jpg

these ones here :)

wasn't able to get a hold of rit dyes..

ended up to a really dark navy, i guess the lighter colored navy dyes are stronger than black dyes (even though i used 2 pack of black and only one pack of navy). i was aiming for a black with hint of navy sort of color.

lol nice.

i've tried mixing 2 black + 1 dark navy packs of powder dye before. It was Dylon brand. I dyed a pair of camo pants with it, and the pants became a super dark navy, like yours did. the camo pattern was barely discernable until after a few washes, but even then it looked like subtlely better bape trousers or something. it was cool for a moment until I gave it to a goodwill store.

I guess it would be a good idea to have a couple fabric swatches to dye as you throw in more dye into the tub, to test to see if its the color you want. That sounds like a really good idea... I think I'll do that next time I dye something and I'll report back.

try getting some indigo! you can even get natural indigo- it's actually not that much more expensive (maybe even same price, i haven't checked in awhile) as synthetic indigo. you can do multiple dips to get a deeper indigo.

black is probably the hardest color to get- still looking for a good black dye..