Post Your Creations (pics, artwork, media, design...)

Whodinihimself

Not much to this... whipped it up on SeaShore in like 20 mins last night. Photo is my own, thanks to flickr for artifacting the .jpg like a mofo

3228119948_5e031621f3.jpg

Considering I am considering (lol) going into Graphic Design as a possible double major (or minor) if I get into New School for next year, I need some criticism. I want to increase my eye for design as a whole, and simply using Helvetica is not gonna cut it. Natse, or anyone else, feel free to throw some tips, not necessarily about this image (since its simple text/image creation), but as a whole because its something I'm heavily considering. Thanks in advanced.

definitely adjust the kerning, if it were something i were designing i would also add another element between the text and background image, maybe with the opacity dropped, basically anything to draw the viewers eye, the layout isn't bad, i just think it's a little too hard on the eyes as far as the type and could use another element or two to further reinforce the overall design.

ps. i studied layout/design/whatever, what i typed is basically what my prof. would've told me, and to use the rule of thirds

definitely adjust the kerning, if it were something i were designing i would also add another element between the text and background image, maybe with the opacity dropped, basically anything to draw the viewers eye, the layout isn't bad, i just think it's a little too hard on the eyes as far as the type and could use another element or two to further reinforce the overall design.

ps. i studied layout/design/whatever, what i typed is basically what my prof. would've told me, and to use the rule of thirds

Still not sure what kerning is. I could look it up, but I'd rather have a graphic design practitioner or student let me know, gives it a bit more of a connection. I assume its placement of the text, and I can see what you mean about rule of thirds, but I'm really @ square one in terms of my knowledge.

EDIT: suzie - looks great! Metallic tones in there really give it a cool look.

Kerning is the space between individual letters (not letter spacing, which is the space between the letters as a whole). You adjust it so that it looks "right", not really sure how to describe what right means, you just have to eyeball it. At smaller sizes the type should kern itself fine but once you go to bigger sizes you need to adjust it by hand.

Got a cheapo club monaco blazer that had ugly ass bulky pockets, so i took off the pockets and put some shiny(which the flash exaggerates) black polyester where they were. quck & dirty job but it did what i wanted

sdc106654358739id9.jpg

this is what they looked like before. they were REALLY bulky, just trashy shape.

wassssrc5.jpg

Still not sure what kerning is. I could look it up, but I'd rather have a graphic design practitioner or student let me know, gives it a bit more of a connection. I assume its placement of the text, and I can see what you mean about rule of thirds, but I'm really @ square one in terms of my knowledge.

EDIT: suzie - looks great! Metallic tones in there really give it a cool look.

long story short its how far individual letters are away from each other

even photoshop has a kerning tool but you have to highlight each letter individually if you just want to change it for that letter. its obv easier in apps that are actually made for typesetting

basically youre trying to get an equal area of white between each pair of letters

edit: got beaten by loke a week