suggest to me something other than an ipod

poly800rock

I would just like to add that the iAudio X5 can be organized by artist and what not if you have everything organized in folders(which I do). I have an ipod but it was a gift, my ex bought the x5 and the sound quality blows everything away, even with the boxed headphones it is very nice. Granted I plug in my Grados and hear every fucking thing in the song. Just amazing.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Count me in the Creative camp.

I've had a 40GB Zen Touch for a few years now. It has an excellent battery life, great sound quality (out of my Etymotics ER-4P, MP3s encoded at 320KB/S) and is very durable.

I have read some great reviews for the Creative Vision:M, check out the CNET review.

I super-second everyone's reccomendation of COWON players.

Go to the website http://www.iaudiophile.net/news.php

And check their forums.

It's like a mini-superfuture just for their diff players. They even post up pimped-versions with hundred dollar earpieces.

I own an IAUDIO X5L and a friend owns like some of the smaller models. They're top quality, work like USB hard-drives, compatible with alot of cameras (for direct linking and storage of pics) and have models that have battery times up to 35 hrs (MINE). Lastly they are one of the highest rated in audio quality. IPODS are crap (seriously, buying a high quality earphone is useless if you have a crap audioplayer), creatives and irivers (rest in peace) were great and I say IAUDIO is topnotch.

If anyone makes fun of you, "pistol-whip" them with the butt of your X5, it'll knock 'em out.

Why not just get a cell phone that has all those add-ons like an MP3 player...it makes sense because you would only have to carry one thing...and really who is gonna listen to a million songs. That new one by LG looks pretty nice...

I have a razr v3x with expandable memory, I bought the 512mb chip for it. It's not a lot I know but I change the playlist constantly... and plus i'm usually somewhere with an extension of my music collection (boyfriends car, my place, his place, friends' place) so the phone acts like a filler when i'm someplace musicless like at school or the bank.

every sony portable product i've had experience with (except cassette walkmans) always fall apart within the year. sony was super late to the mp3 game trying to push their own crappy format forever. i don't think any of their new stuff is that good anyway.

creative players are solid- never owned a hd based one (they are on the bulky side) but their flash based players are dope. iriver also makes good flash based players.

the appeal of ipods is that they are so ubiquitous everything is made for them. that's why i got one in the first place. the rio... fuck i forgot the name of it was a million times better but you couldn't find accessories for it- not even a case for it. and now there's car integration, fm tuners, and all that shit that ONLY support ipods. it pisses me off, i sold off 3 ipods at one point. but now i'm back to one (at least i got it for free).

I gotta add that IAUDIOs have excellent audio recording and radio recording capabilities. The X5 whilst not a super great digital video player is decent and has other things that the Ipod video does not have.

But I agree, if you are an UBER audiophile, the H series are the top... but I think if you add the X5L (long play model) having 36 hours straight audio playtime... \(0.0)_

Sony are bad, bad people. My Discman died, my VAIO died (over which I am taking them to the Small Claims Court), and I'm just waiting for my MiniDisc to do the same!

I saw the Toshiba Gigabeat the other day...more attractive than the iPod IMHO, and cheaper too. Takes mp3, wav, wma...not sure about exotic stuff like ogg...

i hate sony stuff because they offer no support for 99% of their things. and if they do offer it, its only for like the 1st year, then it is impossible to find any drivers or anything else....

• 1 year later...

Cowon Q5W:

http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/cowon/q5w/

I am seriously considering the Cowon Q5W after the last 2 ipods I've brought are complete pieces of shit.

Note: I haven't sworn off a Mac as I'm considering a Macbook Pro but the last two generations of Ipod videos are terrible in my opinion.

Pros:

40gb

5 inch LCD screen

music quality

wi-fi (internet capability)

Cons:

$450-600

bulky/heavy

wUZACBn9r1E

ZC_h73qphpc

Runner Up:

Creative ZEN Vision W:

http://www.creative.com/products/pmp/

Red, Onemancult, anyone insight please?

if you want it to replace an ipod, then dont get the q. that thing is huge. but if youre alright with the size, then go for it. i was happy with the capabilities of my a2 despite it being a brick.

cowon is sort of in a slump right now, because theyre focusing so much on flash players and not on HD based players. thay have a HUGE FUCKING HOLE in their lineup where the x5 used to be.

what i recommend is to just buy a d2. its small, has cowons SQ, cheap, and has an SD slot. that basically means unlimited storage capacity.

also check out the zune. havent really read up on it, but i checked it out at a best buy, and it seemed to be way better than the previous generation.

and you might want to consider this as well:

i know analog already made a thread, but it wasnt very succesful. and a thread like this is better off in superculture anyways.

im currently geeked about irivers new spinn.

iriverspinn01dr0.jpg

iriverspinnwm6.jpg

V0Y7MZIBs_k

im really hoping that it has at least a micro sd slot. it would be awesome if it had a standard sd card slot.

i was really hyped when it first came out, because i thought it would be both touchscreen and tactile, but its not. oh well.

currently have a cowon d2, which does a really good job at what it does.

also waiting for lenovos t500 to be released.

fuck-a-mac

if you want it to replace an ipod, then dont get the q. that thing is huge. but if youre alright with the size, then go for it. i was happy with the capabilities of my a2 despite it being a brick.

cowon is sort of in a slump right now, because theyre focusing so much on flash players and not on HD based players. thay have a HUGE FUCKING HOLE in their lineup where the x5 used to be.

what i recommend is to just buy a d2. its small, has cowons SQ, cheap, and has an SD slot. that basically means unlimited storage capacity.

also check out the zune. havent really read up on it, but i checked it out at a best buy, and it seemed to be way better than the previous generation.

and you might want to consider this as well:

I doubt the size and weight will bother me as much I was grasping at straws to find a con for the product. I'm really looking for the overall package as I know I can trust the sound quality of Cowon, the 5 inch screen is what Im really interested in and a added bonus is the clear quality of the screen for movies and pictures that would kill time between classes once I hit NYC for college.

a few questions i would like to ask you:

On average how long did you A2 battery last you when you had it?

Since were on the topic of PMP's what are your best picks?

I did take the A2 and D2 into consideration but I'm after a larger screen. I had the first generation Zune and wasn't impressed with it I might check out the new ones but as stated before I'm looking for the big and clear screen/music quality. PMP's like the Archos 704, Creative Zen Vision, Cowon Q5W, etc. Whats really good???

• 3 weeks later...
I doubt the size and weight will bother me as much I was grasping at straws to find a con for the product. I'm really looking for the overall package as I know I can trust the sound quality of Cowon, the 5 inch screen is what Im really interested in and a added bonus is the clear quality of the screen for movies and pictures that would kill time between classes once I hit NYC for college.

a few questions i would like to ask you:

On average how long did you A2 battery last you when you had it?

Since were on the topic of PMP's what are your best picks?

I did take the A2 and D2 into consideration but I'm after a larger screen. I had the first generation Zune and wasn't impressed with it I might check out the new ones but as stated before I'm looking for the big and clear screen/music quality. PMP's like the Archos 704, Creative Zen Vision, Cowon Q5W, etc. Whats really good???

battery was never a problem. forgot how long it lasted. read some reviews. cnet probably states the battery life.

when it comes to pmps, it depends on what you want. i generally like archos and cowon though. and the new P5 was announced, so look into that.

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/page.asp?id=374

Dont know how good it is but looks cool to me...

bang olufsen is way overpriced.

erm, the Creative Zen X-Fi, nothing comes close imho.

the zen x-fi is just a zen with a new hairdo from what ive heard. which is a bad thing. failed to fix the sd problem which is a huge turn off.

man, why has no one mentioned samsung yet? i admit i'm a just a regular music listener but my (old) K3 does more than enough for me. samsung's designs are pretty slick as well.

Cowon d2 is 16gb now http://www.jetmall.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=425

and then you can also stick a 16 gb sd card in it. If you're on a budget the Sansa Clip is great for the price. If you're balla you might might to look at kenwood media kegs as they are designed with superior sound quality in mind.