What about Jeans Jackets ....

beatle

^If we're going to nerd out about it, it's not actually a Type I or Type II (nor is it fresh), it's based on the Triple Pleat blouse that Mike and Charla Harris discovered in a mine a few years back, that was then reproduced by Levis as the "1870s Triple Pleat", so if you're after an indigo verison that's what you'd want to look for.

72bdefbf.jpg

The original:

005_5.JPG

More pics and info about the Harris find at PaulT's blog here:

http://loomstate.blogspot.com/2012/02/make-mine-triple-levis-1874-triple.html

Edited by hollowsleather

LOVE this jacket!! A fresh take on the type II, but wish they made an indigo version. Where did you order from?

Thanks, I bought it from directly from Old Blue

^If we're going to nerd out about it, it's not actually a Type I or Type II (nor is it fresh), it's based on the Triple Pleat blouse that Mike and Charla Harris discovered in a mine a few years back, that was then reproduced by Levis as the "1870s Triple Pleat", so if you're after an indigo verison that's what you'd want to look for.

The original:

More pics and info about the Harris find at PaulT's blog here:

http://loomstate.blogspot.com/2012/02/make-mine-triple-levis-1874-triple.html

Thats right, I don't know why Old Blue calls it a Type I, 

It has nice function and form in it either way in my opinion.  I tend to dislike jackets or anything use as outerwear that doesnt have some form of pocket I can shove my hands and other various things into at waist length; It is a miracle I bought my Momotaro type 2

It has nice function and form in it either way in my opinion.  I tend to dislike jackets or anything use as outerwear that doesnt have some form of pocket I can shove my hands and other various things into at waist length; It is a miracle I bought my Momotaro type 2

Yeah that was actually one of the main things why I bought this jacket. Theres a lot of jackets that only have breast pockets.

I want the Momotaro jacket too though!

that jacket looks pretty awesome. i agree about not liking jackets that don't have hand pockets or pockets down near the waist but for some reason, i just couldn't say no to getting a type II jacket. i just had to get used to putting my hands in my pants pockets.

Samurai 0553x. Although it does have quite a bit of contrast, the contrast is somehow a little exaggerated even though I didn't make any adjustments to the picture. I like you can see that the button inside the right cuff is totally rusted.

13910142187_34867d98a5_z.jpg

I'm strongly considering purchasing a Sugar Cane 1953 Type II jacket. I've looked through this and the Sugar Cane thread for advice/fits and even made a chart of the measurements for one-washed and raw versions from varied Japanese shops.

In short, how did you guys size your jean jackets outside of actually trying one? Do you go an inch above your actual chest size, an inch above your best fitting shirt, or what? My chest literally measures ~36" and I'm stuck between the measurements of a size 36 and 38 one wash versions.

Edited by ReverendGlasseye

Well, I was lucky enough to already have a jean jacket that I could measure myself and get similar measurements for the SC11953. If you have a friends jacket that fit you well and you could measure?

Well, I was lucky enough to already have a jean jacket that I could measure myself and get similar measurements for the SC11953. If you have a friends jacket that fit you well and you could measure?

Not really.. How does your jacket fit in comparison to your best fitting shirt? I think I may go that route by buying a jacket that is an inch/few centimeters larger than my best fitting shirt. 

On a related note, I actually contacted Naoki-san of Pants Avenue because you had a good experience with him! The one size 38 raw SC 1953 he has is a few centimeters too large (even with shrinking) according to my measurements. Nevertheless, he maintains that he will get a variety of sizes in both raw and one-wash in the upcoming months.

I don't really have time for it today but I'll measure my jacket (now that it's been through a wash) and compare it to one of my shirts later this week. I just posted some fitpics of the jacket on my blog so you can see it is a little big with just a tee. I could probably have sized down one.

Naoki-san is great to deal with. You won't be disappointed. + there aren't that many other shops carrying the raw one.

I don't really have time for it today but I'll measure my jacket (now that it's been through a wash) and compare it to one of my shirts later this week. I just posted some fitpics of the jacket on my blog so you can see it is a little big with just a tee. I could probably have sized down one.

Naoki-san is great to deal with. You won't be disappointed. + there aren't that many other shops carrying the raw one.

Thanks man! I really appreciate it. 

I saw the fit pics and it looks nice. Personally, I would like it a little slimmer overall but some insight from your measurements would definitely give me some insight.

I decided to add some alternations to my Samurai jacket.  Inside pockets and a tab where you can hang it on a coat hook.  I'm pretty happy with the results.

WP_20140506_001.jpg

WP_20140506_002.jpg

WP_20140506_003.jpg

I went ahead and bought the nudie perry jacket. It fits great and denim is really good too. Haven't been this happy about a piece of clothing in a long time. Sure, stitching is a little loud, but it we'll blend in nicely with some wear.

For anyone looking to get a slim fitting denim jacket, you should really check it out.

I decided to add some alternations to my Samurai jacket.  Inside pockets and a tab where you can hang it on a coat hook.  I'm pretty happy with the results.

WP_20140506_001.jpg

WP_20140506_002.jpg

WP_20140506_003.jpg

Great idea and execution ... I didn't notice any threads on the face of the jacket.

Me either! It looks like the pockets are sewn into the back of the front chest pockets, so you don't see the stitching. Nicely done.

Anyone have any experience with these, or can comment on how they differ? Trying to decide between the two and any insights would be helpful. Are there slight cut variations? (SE doesn't post waist bottom opening measurements)...thoughts on fabric?

http://www.ironheart.co.uk/jackets/ih-526l.html

http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=71&products_id=1197

I can't really help you, but keep in mind that these aren't really true type 3's as they're lengthened, which really changes the silhouette.  Make sure you're down with that look before dropping the coin

yeah its a big purchase so naturally i'm trying to get as much detail on the differences (however subtle) between IH's and the SE collab. a bit tricker than i thought, but the price point on these prob means theres fewer people who have grabbed one.

seems like the difference here is the denim. both are left hand twill but the SExIH22TYPEIII is a 20oz unsanforized LHT denim with a gray weft that gives it a deeper color while the IH-526L is 19oz unsanforized but one washed LHT denim with a more white/natural weft. Both are lengthened by a couple inches which imo makes it easier to wear longer shirts underneath. both should have similar fits  the 20oz denim on the SE collab jacket is loom state and super heavy and stiff and takes a little more work to break in but fits great after a couple weeks while i think the IH-526L probably is softer to begin with because of the one wash. i think both are good choices but i lean towards the SE collab because of the more interesting denim. 

Anyone have any experience with these, or can comment on how they differ? Trying to decide between the two and any insights would be helpful. Are there slight cut variations? (SE doesn't post waist bottom opening measurements)...thoughts on fabric?

http://www.ironheart.co.uk/jackets/ih-526l.html

http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=71&products_id=1197

I have the 19oz denim in the form of jeans and the SE collab jacket.  The denim is very similar, but I believe that the SE denim is fading faster.  It's tough to tell jeans to jacket though.  The collab jacket has grey weft so it will definitely have a unique color once it comes through.  From what I've seen on the IH forum the fit seems to be pretty similar.  I couldn't be happier with the jacket and I don't think you can go wrong either way.  Have you had 20 oz+ denim?  Both denims are extremely rigid.

Thanks man...looking like its coming along great! Yeah I've had the 301s so am imagining a rigid version of that fabric...maybe similar to the Strike Golf 3109 fabric which i've got. At this point I'm really liking the collab but a bit concerned with the arm bagginess. I had the Sugar Cane 1962 and wasn't a fan of the vintage arm width. From fit pics the 526l looks like a bit more of a modern sleeve, but thats just a punt as I've never seen either in person.  

seems like the difference here is the denim. both are left hand twill but the SExIH22TYPEIII is a 20oz unsanforized LHT denim with a gray weft that gives it a deeper color while the IH-526L is 19oz unsanforized but one washed LHT denim with a more white/natural weft. Both are lengthened by a couple inches which imo makes it easier to wear longer shirts underneath. both should have similar fits  the 20oz denim on the SE collab jacket is loom state and super heavy and stiff and takes a little more work to break in but fits great after a couple weeks while i think the IH-526L probably is softer to begin with because of the one wash. i think both are good choices but i lean towards the SE collab because of the more interesting denim. 

I just picked up the colab f/ SELA when I was out in CA on vaca. While I don't have any experience with the 526, I agree with what's said here.

For reference, I'm just under 6' tall, about 200lbs, 33" waist, 44" chest and I went with a 44/XXL. Been wearing it for a couple of days (inside, actually, as we've had a bit of cold weather move in), not washed yet, and I can attest to it's stiffness/rigidness. Really need to get it in some water to soften and shrink it a bit, but want to get raw fit pics first. 

Thanks man...looking like its coming along great! Yeah I've had the 301s so am imagining a rigid version of that fabric...maybe similar to the Strike Golf 3109 fabric which i've got. At this point I'm really liking the collab but a bit concerned with the arm bagginess. I had the Sugar Cane 1962 and wasn't a fan of the vintage arm width. From fit pics the 526l looks like a bit more of a modern sleeve, but thats just a punt as I've never seen either in person.  

the denim is more like the 3109 fabric but actually even more rigid. i believe the sleeve is the same but due to the stiffness, it doesn't sit as well until it's broken in. 

Anyone know of a raw jacket that is >14oz in XL or 44/46 that won't break the bank, <$400? The heavier, the better.

I was interested in the tellason 16.5 oz jacket but the lack of detail on the buttons and stitching deterred me away.

abu7emup.jpg

4ezemuju.jpg

Trophy Dirt Denim jacket, inside and out, after the first wash. I've been wearing this jacket on and off for about 8 months now and I am totally in love with it, the denim and the unique details make this one of my favourite items from Trophy.