What about Jeans Jackets ....

beatle

On 2/4/2023 at 5:22 AM, AlientoyWorkmachine said:

Thanks all. I think I’m leaning tcb 20 (if I can find one) or full count bc these seem to be the better summer denims, but lots of good options. @blooming did you get yours a size up? 

@AlientoyWorkmachine Mine is a size 40, which is pretty TTS for me. It's definitely a relaxed fit, so probably not necessary to size up.

• 2 weeks later...

@Flash's question about my At Last chore got me looking back into the Lightning Archives Vintage Workwear book

Here are a few related pics for WW2 era chores of the Lee style.  

Looks like a mixture of features were common.  If anyone can offer any supporting info for the WW2 models - you know who you are - please do

Lee 91-J in jelt denim, not raglan sleeves (set-in sleeves), branded buttons 

20230219 WW2 Era Lee Chore 91-J Not Raglan.JPG

20230219 WW2 Era Lee Chore 91-J.JPG

Lee 31-Js with the pockets at different heights (look great) - they have both laurel wreath and branded button variations

20230219 WW2 Era Lee Chores Laurel Wreath and Branded Buttons.JPG

Lee S91-LJ - lined and with cord collar

20230219 WW2 Era Lined Chore Cord Collar.JPG

Loving the unbranded chore with red checked lining, wonky pockets and laurel wreath buttons - most excellent 

20230219 WW2 Era Unknown Brand Lined Chore Raglan Sleeve.JPG

My hypothesis is the At Last 677J is influenced by a number of styles, rather than being a repro - that's what I see as being a feature of Timeworn generally 

20230219 At Last Co Lot 677J 1.JPG

Edited by MJF9

Great looking jacket MJF9 and excellent comparision pics from the Lightning book!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I've nvr owned a blanket lined denim jacket.. when the raw denim shrinks, does the lining become slightly loose until the denim streches back out or do they use a lining with a consistant shrinkage/stretch to the denim?.. i've lost a good couple of inches in hem/sleeve before so i assume it would be noticable..

I have the flannel lined one from FW. I just didn’t think too much about it. Washed twice and hang dry both times. First was a cool wash second was hot bc I wanted to see if I could get more shrink before I really got to wearing it. Yea drying took longer, but it was fine. I suppose the flannel may not have shrunk quite as much but I only notice bc I’m checking on it to answer this question. It’s not enough to matter in any practical sense.
I love this thing, but in part bc of where I live it’s more practical than a normal denim jacket for a good part of the year. 

Edited by AlientoyWorkmachine

I’ve got a lined LVC type 1 and Edwin-made Stormrider. 

More lining sag on the LVC, negligible on the Stormrider. That’ll be because I’ve hot washed the LVC a couple of times whereas cool washes only for the Lee.

It’s not problematic though. The saggy lining isn’t visible nor gives off a puffer jacket look. In fact it feels a bit cosier.

Takes ages to line dry - stick it on the radiator. 

Same experience as ATWM with the same jacket - no issues to report with denim and flannel shrinkage. My first wash was 30C, second wash was 40C which gave greater shrink on the jacket overall and never had any inner flannel lining issues

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Bobbo said:

The Warehouse jacket I got from @Double 0 Soul ages ago is coming along nicely. The banner denim is probably my favorite fabric from them, love the character. How’s the other one you kept Double O? Still going strong or worn to bits since my Sufu hiatus started.

Been a while.. how's life treating you?

The average life expectancy across Europe must have risen significantly since we left :D

Coincidentally.. i made a little flip-book of it's demise only a couple of months ago.. you can also see your jacket in all it's crispy glory

Good to have you back!

Edit- It's partway down pg355 of the WH thread.. the share link is taking you to pg354 for some reason?

Edited by Double 0 Soul

The jacket turned out great @Double 0 Soul! Suppose its demise was inevitable.

Life’s been good but hectic. Lots of work, family life and Alf the dog came in to my life and will probably be seen around these parts in the not so distant future. Time to give some more love again for denim projects.

• 9 months later...
25 minutes ago, indigoeagle said:

What are people's experiences with shrinking wool blanket lined denim jackets?
Will the lining shrink more than the denim with a hot wash?

I have experience with my vintage 70ties Lee 101J Stormrider lined (wool), which was new condition I bought (never washed). After 2  years of wear I washed it in 30 degrees C. Although that jacket was sanforized and lining pre-washed, it shrinked little bit. But both, denim and wool same.

I don't know what can do hot wash. I would expect wool will shrink more than denim.

Edited by vIGGiou riou

On 1/16/2024 at 10:24 PM, vIGGiou riou said:

I have experience with my vintage 70ties Lee 101J Stormrider lined (wool), which was new condition I bought (never washed). After 2  years of wear I washed it in 30 degrees C. Although that jacket was sanforized and lining pre-washed, it shrieked little bit. But both, denim and wool same.

I don't know what can do hot wash. I would expect wool will shrink more than denim.

Thanks
I had that happen with two sanforised denim jackets, too, that they shrunk a bit.

With the linings it can vary, some linings are more cotton, some poly and some predominantly wool,  (which I'm looking at now) and thus shrink differently.

I'd also think, that wool would shrink more than denim with a warmer/hot wash.
Not sure, if the lining would suffer then if shrunk taut and thus under pressure. It will probably stretch again. Don't know.

The TCB Storm Cats Drive jacket is probably also raw (edit: it's one wash).
https://tcbjeans.stores.jp/items/656540bff55a3005bb703691

Also this one from Sugarcane, which is mostly offered in O/W, but can also be found in N/W.

https://store.toyo-enterprise.co.jp/shopdetail/000000001304/

Edited by indigoeagle

You can expect stronger shrinkage of old Troy blanket linings whe washed really hot, which I wouldn‘t recommand anyway.

Less issues can be expected on newer acrylic linings