What about Jeans Jackets ....

beatle

I couldn't resist putting an auction sniper on this fairly interesting (at least I thought so) Levi's Redloop denim jacket on eBay recently and won the auction for an ok price. Apparently this is a Japan only model blazer style cut with a single vent. The denim has a green hue to it which should avoid canadian tux syndrome ;) The color is most accurate in the second and third photo.

Some of the details are nice (never seen buttons attached like here with little keyrings), most of the fake distressing is, well, fake, but what the heck, once some wear is put into it maybe it'll blend in with the real distress.

yHohdzol.jpg

BRW42JUl.jpg

Rp5Lqa0l.jpg

This is how the buttons are attached (sleeve buttons are properly riveted though)

BOASOTtl.jpg

Q9RqnyQl.jpg

made in china it says

Well since this is just normal Levi's Redloop I honestly didn't expect anything else ;) The only pics I could google up have been from some Japanese blog and a couple rakuten.jp links, that's why I made the connection to Japan. (And also because the seller said it's from Japan.)

Thought I’d give you all a quick update on the jacket status for those who are interested. We’ve had a bunch of thunderstorms, which means a bunch of power outages which has cut into my progress (and I’m a neurotic perfectionist, which also slows me down) but I can finally say that the pattern is done!

Since I last posted, I drafted the collar, cuffs and bottom band, and I set the sleeves in to check the over-all fit. It’s all working out really well! It took a few tries to get the collar to look how I wanted it, but I’m happy with the look now and I’m ready to take the muslin apart and cut the denim.

I’ve spent a lot of time considering the small details on this project - when to use/expose selvedge (I’ve decided to do a Roy-inspired selvedge down the center back), how to finish the sleeve placket edges (in-seam self finish), top pocket flap shapes (I tried so many). I think those little details are really what brings the level up, and with fabric this special I really want it to be the best possible.

I’m sorry there isn’t that much to post about this time, but I promise to come back with more as soon as I start laying out the pieces on the denim and start working with it. I also have something really exciting in the works for hardware on this jacket (buttons and rivets!) but I don’t want to spill the details yet in case I jinx it. In the mean time, here’s an album of photos so you can see the overall look and fit of the jacket and a few of the details.

http://imgur.com/a/Eu9gE

Thank you all again for your kind words and support! It’s making this whole process super duper mega exciting.

-Tori

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!  They take a more time and commitment than a pair of jeans, but the results are more satisfying.  If I was small enough, I'd be all over a Levis 507XX repro by Full Count or Warehouse.  

That looks awesome setterman, I really want to find a denim jacket for the fall!  Just some more inspiration.

I think this is probably the fall I finally pull the trigger on a denim jacket as well.  For a handful of reasons the FH Type 2 is probably my front runner at this point.  I love everything about how FH garments evolve, and I could only see this looking great at all stages.

I think this is probably the fall I finally pull the trigger on a denim jacket as well. For a handful of reasons the FH Type 2 is probably my front runner at this point. I love everything about how FH garments evolve, and I could only see this looking great at all stages.

The FH Type 2 looks fantastic, not sure if it would be big enough for me or not. Same thing goes for the Stevenson engineer jacket. I'll have to see what you guys have when I stop by the California stores in about a months time!

I don't know why Japanese brands go to size 40 (and beyond with some brands) with jeans, and generally only go to 40 or 42 in jackets. I can understand there not being enough demand to make them every season, but you'd think size 46, 48, and 50 made every 3-4 years would sell out.

I don't know why Japanese brands go to size 40 (and beyond with some brands) with jeans, and generally only go to 40 or 42 in jackets. I can understand there not being enough demand to make them every season, but you'd think size 46, 48, and 50 made every 3-4 years would sell out.

It doesn't make an awful lot of sense to me either, especially for the brands that have staple jackets that they do, unchanged season in and season out.  With a lot of brands though, they won't draft/grade the pattern for new sizes without a minimum order that basically stops any retailers from pushing forward.  There are very few, if any companies that are going to go to the work to do a run of a size that they don't think they can sell through very quickly. 

• 2 weeks later...

^^ it is just a jacket, it will wear with time, regardless. just wear how you'd normally wear a jacket; over/under whatever. whatever looks good man