What about Jeans Jackets ....

beatle

weird, my late 60's type 3 has banana/lemon stitching

Mine too.

2 1

False Prophet-

Thanks. The jeans are RRDS at about 10 months not washed.

The belt is the black ALD belt and it is the coolest jeans belt I've found.

Phrost-

The lack of hand pockets is what I love about this design. Helps it keep a slimmer look (no bulge from the pocket flap) and it's unique.

As for the denim tuxedo debate- I don't wear these together, I just threw it on with what I was wearing to get this pic done.

I agree that you gotta be the right dude to pull off the tuxedo look, and in my opinion it should only be done with matching brands; ie; RRDS w/ Conny, or ALD Royal Pant w/Royal Jacket- thus requiring even more "dudeliness" to pull it off.

I think the shades of indigo have to match, nothing looks worse than a light jacket and dark jeans or vice-versa. Maybe its a matter of context, in the U.S you look like a hick, in the U.K you still look like a hick but in a good way. It also helps if your jacket and jeans are vintage style, either something from the depression era or the 50's. I always think Martin Sheen's Type 2/501 outfit looks pretty good in Badlands.

Keffiyeh.jpg

Not a very good pic I'm afraid. I think the key to pulling off the look is

a) both jeans and jacket very fitted. Preferably a short jacket sitting just on the belt line.

B) accessorisation. I usually wear this scarf or a long black one, as well as the coolest belt I can find and black boots.

c) colours that are similar but different. I wouldn't match dry denim, unless one is more faded than the other. I think Sam's look works for that reason, but the jacket is just a bit *too* new. On the other hand, I wouldn't match dry with very washed out. Differences in colour, rather than hue, work, such as where one item's very indigo, and the other has a greenish tint.

I also feel that the plainer the jacket, the better. It looks slick, rather than functional.

I think the shades of indigo have to match, nothing looks worse than a light jacket and dark jeans or vice-versa. Maybe its a matter of context, in the U.S you look like a hick, in the U.K you still look like a hick but in a good way. It also helps if your jacket and jeans are vintage style, either something from the depression era or the 50's. I always think Martin Sheen's Type 2/501 outfit looks pretty good in Badlands.

didnt think of it like that, but i am from the southern us, so i may just be a hick. i also perfer real vintage over new, so that may influence me.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump! Didn't think it was necessary to start a new topic for this.

Just a question, I recently picked this up in a secondhand store.

I like it alot and was wondering if anyone could tell me abit more about it. Some LEE experts? It must be a LEE gold label reissue

This is what I know so far:

- Loco Jacket

- must be post '46 since it says Can't Bust 'Em

That's not much, also all Loco jackets I'm able to find pictures of have two breast pockets, why doesn't this one?

Anyone more info about this model? When? Why? Etc.

Thanks!

dscn3647wx8.jpg

dscn3648xk8.jpg

• 1 month later...

Has anyone seen one of these, in person? It's described as selvedge denim, Levi's Red. While getting dangerous to the "Canadian Tuxedo" (such a great phrase!), it has a certain possibility. Anyway, other than the two on e-prey (both large, one hard-wash), I've never seen anything like it. I wonder what weight the denim is, and how well it will fade? Jus' curious. Thanks.

[ATTACH]548[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]549[/ATTACH]

Has anyone seen one of these, in person? It's described as selvedge denim, Levi's Red. While getting dangerous to the "Canadian Tuxedo" (such a great phrase!), it has a certain possibility. Anyway, other than the two on e-prey (both large, one hard-wash), I've never seen anything like it. I wonder what weight the denim is, and how well it will fade? Jus' curious. Thanks.

[ATTACH]548[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]549[/ATTACH]

didn't levi's make a singer a denim suit once, when he couldn't get into a club wearing his jeans? was it bing crosby?

How curious! What is that source? Are there more historical curiosities like this?

I've long wondered if you can buy yardage of true premium denim (Cane quality, at least), that could be taken to a tailor. (All I've seen on e-bay is totally overpriced for moderate quality denim.) Anybody have/know the source for ultra-high-end denim by the yard?

original source unknown but that's a photo i took of a page from Paul T's Denim: From Cowboys to Catwalks

you could probably find small yardages of denim here and there. a member here sold a few rolls of real vintage Cone denim for a good sum of money. i think it was dated as 1970s stock?

check the superdenim sticky thread there's a few links there to denim mills who might or might not do small runs...or you could always combine orders with some other aspiring denim tailor. :)

Right. Just did, and thank you. I have a sister in LA that I'll send out to the remnant shop mentioned in those threads to see what she can find.

We now return you to our regular thread program of vintage jean jackets, eh?

How curious! What is that source?

If you want it straight from the horse's mouth check out levistrauss.com LINK: http://levistrauss.com/Heritage/ForTheCollector/CollectorSpotlight.aspx

Here's all the text for your enjoyment:

Start quote "

The Bing Crosby Tuxedo

Singer Bing Crosby was a huge fan of Levi's® jeans and jackets, which was something we were pretty proud of at the time. Then, in 1951, we heard a very interesting and slightly disturbing story. It seems that Bing was in Canada on a hunting trip with a friend, and one night they decided to stay in a Vancouver hotel. Both men were dressed completely in denim (Levi's® denim, in Bing's case) and the desk clerk didn't recognize the famous crooner. But that wasn't the worst of it. This clerk did not feel that men who wore denim were appropriate guests for his establishment and refused to rent them rooms. (Eventually, the bellboy recognized Bing and the chagrined manager gave him and his friend a room).

Bing had a big ranch in Elko, Nevada. He told his neighbors about his experience in Canada, and they in turn contacted the company, because they thought we should know what had happened to Bing. Imagine the outrage when company managers heard about this. You have to remember that in the 1950s, jeans were not the fashion item they are today, and there were a lot of people who thought denim should only be worn when riding horses or tending to ranching duties. You certainly didn't wear jeans to go out to dinner or to walk into the lobby of a snazzy hotel.

Soon after we heard about the hotel incident, a few designers put their heads together and created a denim tuxedo jacket for Bing. It was made of the sturdy denim used for the 501® jeans, and decorated with a lovely corsage of red Tabs, held onto the lapel with a cluster of shiny copper rivets. Inside the jacket was a huge leather patch printed with a "Notice to All Hotel Men" stating that denim is a perfectly appropriate fabric and anyone wearing it should be allowed entrance into the finest hotels.

We presented the tuxedo jacket to Bing at the 1951 "Silver State Stampede" in Elko, Nevada, where he was honorary mayor. He was so tickled with the tux that he wore it to many of the press appearances for his next film, "Here Comes The Groom." The company made dozens of copies as display and PR materials, and many of these have found their way into the vintage clothing market. The Levi Strauss & Co. Archives has a number of them, and they are occasionally worn by company managers at very special events.

The original tux, as well as one made for the town's mayor, are in the Northeastern Nevada Museum in Elko.

"End Quote

Edit: Regarding other interesting stories Levi's has from time to time released supposedly-true marketing narratives that illustrate the sturdiness of their jeans. One is of a skyscraper worker who was saved from a fall to sure death by his Levi's (shirt I believe..will have to check the Levi's history book on the shelf).

Another story involves a man towing a broken-down car into town using his Levi's. A limited edition LVC replica of these jeans are/were sold. http://denimnews.blogspot.com/2006/07/can-of-jeans-hypebeast-is-reporting.html

According to the LVC site: "In March 1938, in an area of California just south of San Francisco, a man saw his neighbor's car stranded by the side of the road. As he didn't have any rope, he took his old Levi's 501 Jeans from the trunk, and safely towed his neighbor's car to the next village. This limited edition pair is a faithful replica of those jeans and comes in a 1920s oil can containing the reproduction of the letter that he sent to tell us the amazing story."

just wear whatever you feel comfortable wearing, if its denim with denim do it, just make sure that you have the attitude that you like it.

sure some people may not think its cool or may chuckle, but hey what do you want to do? wear stuff you like? or just conform all the time to what everyone tells you what to do?.

there is no right or wrong answer, just figure it out on your own. if you are comfortable wearing denim jackets with identical denim jeans, do it, just make sure you have the right attitude for doing so.

• 2 months later...

If we're going to differentiate the Type 3 Jacket thread, I might as well bump the general denim jacket thread....

I'm unemployed right now, and have a little time to kill. So, I just took some pictures of an old Gap Trucker Jacket I've got. It's at least 4 years old, and had been my outerwear through a few summers spent working on construction sites... Tried to take some decent front and back shots, as well as pictures of the honeycombs that go all the way up the arms.

gaptruckerjacketjan1007bl0.jpg

gaptruckerjacketjan1007mw7.jpg

gaptruckerjacketjan1007ma0.jpggaptruckerjacketjan1007vl4.jpg

gaptruckerjacketjan1007ts0.jpggaptruckerjacketjan1007um8.jpg

Giantsdrink^^

That jacket looks great. What was the state of the denim when you bought it? I woul assume since it is Gap, that it wasnt raw/ridgid. How much has it fadded?

[ATTACH]548[/ATTACH]

attachment.jpg

[ATTACH]549[/ATTACH]

attachment-1.jpg

Well, after so many months, it showed up at my Bangkok address. Makes me think of my RRL jeans: fabulous denim, utterly whacked construction. The sleeves are cut in such a way that you can't raise your arms (like to shake hands with someone). Put in on backwards, and you have great freedom of movement. Yeesh. My bloody luck. It went into closet until I have a chance on the next trip back to Bkk to take it to a tailor to see if it can be re-constructed and, thus, salvaged. Such a cool idea. Just so badly/sadly executed.

IF I could find truly fine selvedge denim in bolt form, I'd have a new one tailored.

DDML, thanks!

CAC, you're right, the jacket was not raw or rigid at all. It was just generic, off the rack. As for the original color, if you squint hard, the armpits are probably closest to the original. Either that, or any of the places that don't look faded. It was pretty dark to begin with.