the boss is black

wEstSidE

this whole thread been blowing more spots than dcrev.

in MSN this weekend. dun copped rrl scarf and marweather hat at context. hat says mendota so i wore it on mendota.

2qxrzf4.jpg

i like to have sport, lux, street, and work in my outfit. can't be just one thing.

me and habia gonna chicago ball next weekend.

sup chi? catch me at RSVP gallery coppin all the Cav Empt eating on some hi-chews. gold coast with sparkly bottles (no, that's ronnel's thread).

i'm like something in the sky (i'm fly)

OG Dallas Penn put me onto vintage lo scarves.

yung djrajio and habia want girlfirends just to buy em loubs. i better read OG djrajio's dating advice thread.

Lolz. 

Accenture and Deloitte wouldn't even speak w/ a Princeton grad?

I mean where you are right now ain't bad.

But it isn't name brand / Bush league.

That's all MBA whores care about.

You need to start your own thing man

didn't apply to big 4.

i did get an offer from Google, but i didn't care.

my own thing is the future.

i'm not an MBA whore. i could do an MBA sleeping.

Edited by wEstSidE

I feel the same way as you about MBA. I'm more interested in being involved in small to medium sized companies where you can actually grow faster and learn the ropes of whatever business areas it involves due to the flatter hierarchy. For a while i thought i was hopefully gonna end up working on one of the big 4's, then i had friends going into there and i got a big reality check on how much it sucked.

MBAs are for people who want to build connections or for people need to be in school because they can't cope with reality. My roommate falls into the latter category, which is why he is leaving the working world and going back to school. Hopefully he learns how to interact with people in the process.

Edited by Fycus

That reminds of a friend of mine who is surprised he is only getting entry level job offers (albeit not bad ones at all) even though he had been working as a researcher in university for 2 years. I told him working at the university is not real work experience and it is irrelevant to any company unless you were pursuing some extremely niche Phd area. Basically he thought he could apply for work saying he had 2 years work experience and get paid accordingly to that. He has been declining offers due to the fact that he feels he deserves more, i can see him crash and burning soon.

my strategy was to get a job where i would get what i call "ceo training." i made a good choice in that regard. that's how i look at a lot of my life: training to be the leader you deserve.

interesting how this thread turned to being about work.

I am in the opposite spectrum and am currently working at a small WM firm doing management in operations and overseeing a small book of business. It plays well with my skill set as I am organized and responsible, but at the same time it is entry level with low pay. I have been with the company 2 years, little over 1 year full-time and I am starting to not see the value. I expect a review/raise by end of this year or after supervising some interns this summer. 

Hopefully this is just the grind and I need to suck it up, or start moving elsewhere. I don't know how much longer I can stand wasting my Friday nights listening to the CEO vent, or going to karaoke 

edit:

i agree with all your sentiments about post-grad etc. just found out my friends g/f got into MIT MBA program. I was surprised when he said she would be better off working at a small start up after receiving her degree in lieu of some finance analyst or consulting gig. the former would have greater opportunities if the company really took off. seriously if you are at MIT i think you would be learning the leadership and networking skills necessary to be CEO etc. rather than pushing papers, which then made sense to me. 

for me i rather satisfy all my license requirements then learn the ropes in management, then perhaps an MBA if it is required. 

Edited by gettoasty