Raf Simons S/S 14 - Paris

bill

really can't get behind the square-toed slip ons tho. dad shoe/high school uniform shoe analog imho

but at the same time really cool that it'd be a reinterpretation of that kind of thing lolol

Yeah I feel the same way.  I'm thinking the design decision behind it was the strong lines as is shown in the sole unit, which I think is actually very nice in its blunt angularity.

Before I say anything, I'd like to preface by saying I'd never really invested much time learning about Raf beyond what I've seen on the internet and photos of his last men's collection, so any obvious bits of info that could be drawn from his style I wouldn't be aware of.  This would usually stop me from posting but I just have so many mixed feelings about this collection.

Overall the collection was a bit overwhelming to me.  It seemed like he wanted to create a conglomerate of...just about everything.  Very minimal pieces sitting aside aggressively arranged prints/colorblocking.  Masculine suiting and feminine dress/one-piece silhouettes (which I couldn't really get on board with besides:

RAF0484.jpg)

It seemed like the only thing this collection lacked was that feeling of being "natural," which was clearly a conscious decision as well.  Because my own ideas about fashion are rooted more in that natural feeling I find myself growing to love this collection in such a strange way.  For sure, it is definitely more exciting and interesting than his last collection.

Plus, the footwear was crazy...getting really awesome Air Max vibes from the sole units.  The ones with the tab covering the laces and the boots look ridiculous...ly amazing.

When taking in consideration his last offerings, this collection makes sense and I don't dislike it. It looks like some retro, pop-art thing or outfits for the characters of The Jetsons. It is also a quite Antwerpian collection. The footwear looks like something you will find in one good, old and crazy show of WVB.

The Raf boy is now a gay, drugged-out, first year art school student (or something around those lines) and he has nothing to do with the good old Raf man.

Like historyofmyworld said, hints of his previous collections can be found.

The oversized tops and knits with collages reminds me of the SS03 ones tops.

Jumpsuits/"onesies" were previously done by him for SS09 but it was on the tailoring side and more mature. Same with the mix of a top/shirt/knit with something that looks like a mini skirt (but it was just a long, bi-colour knit)

00010m.jpg00160m.jpg

Personally, the clothes are too much for me and I feel too old to wear this. The clusters sleeveless knit is an exception, as i'd wear it over my consumed top.
tumblr_mp0v5y_Jld_B1qzcm07o1_500.jpgtumblr_mp0v5y_Jld_B1qzcm07o2_1280.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hints of J.W. Anderson coming through here. The intermix of femine/maculine elements seems to be creeping up more and more. And the high socks look + derby lace-ups seems to the be the defacto trend for spring. Could care less for the clutchs. Liked the unusual use of color blocking from the shoulders and the the use of the hidden snap buttons. Dries Van Noten had interpreted the use of them recently and it gives a coat or jacket a streamlined/slick/futuristic look. And of course the "ugly" running sneaker trend. Best trend I've seen come out of nothing in a while.

are you looking for the powder room sweetie?

• 2 weeks later...

are you looking for the powder room sweetie?

Don't you have balut in the fridge ripe enough to stick up your ass?

Comment on threads you have actual knowledge about dipshit. 

Edited by djrajio

BTW, this was probably the best collection out of the men's wear season.

So many other fashion designers/brands are gonna copy elements of this collection especially the multi-colored sneaker/trainer look.

Edited by djrajio

• 3 weeks later...

Surrounded by the works of Calder and Prouvé, Raf creates a defining moment in fashion

It was clear from the very beginning that this season Raf Simons was intent on creating a moment. Rumors began months ago that he would reveal his collection in an obscure location thirty-minutes outside of Paris, and, eventually, that’s exactly what he did.

Against the backdrop of Alexander Calder’s kinetic sculptures and an installation by Jean Prouvé, Raf took over the Le Bourget Gagosian Gallery, situated in an industrialised suburb outside of Paris. “We were thinking about product and industrialisation,†he told me after the show. “Everything we use, everything we swallow…. it’s getting more and more man-made and more and more artificial.â€

Calder and Prouvé seemed to form an appropriate context for Raf’s collection this season. Most notably for the industrial nature of their work, but also the inherent sense of freedom associated with Calder’s sculptures, which at any moment can react, move and chance position when confronted with an external force. “It’s a very emotional thing for me,†he explained.

The collection itself explored the ideas concerning branding and consumption. Raf covered oversized t-shirts and bags with slogans such as - ‘Yo-Ga’,  ‘Clusters-Artificially Flavored- Super Nylon’.  Each one in an array of pop colours.

There was also a gender aspect with this collection. Silhouettes were cropped, models appeared with oversized t-shirts worn as dresses, pinafores and skirts. “I think it has always been hanging around our brand a little bit,†Raf said in response.

http://www.dazeddigital.com/fashion/article/16491/1/raf-simons-menswear-ss14

1039401.jpg
1039402.jpg
1039403.jpg
1039404.jpg
1039406.jpg
1039407.jpg
1039408.jpg
1039410.jpg
1039411.jpg
1039412.jpg

This is probably the best collection Raf has done in the past few seasons

Agree with Djrajio, definitley expect elements of this collection to be reinterpreted by others next season.

I personally think Rafs aesthetic has progressed for the better and he is positioning himself ina  different league of designer (think Miucca., Nicholas G,)

Lots of good pieces this collection. Really feeling that sleeveless Clusters top. Other notable mentions would be of course the sneakers, and maybe a few of those weird prints, although they feel kinda weird and I can't see anyone wearing any of them. Props to you if you can though, that'd be rad.