Filipino Food Shit Talking Thread

filipino food is not good

everything is fried and overcooked and salty and meat-based

and fishy

my mom explained to me that the use of meat and the exclusion of vegetables in filipino dishes is a class thing

meat is considered high-class

and only the poor eat vegetables because that is all they can afford

so the poor refuse to eat vegetables in favor of a meat-heavy diet to assume the appearance of being rich

i don't know if this is true but it makes sense for my family, i guess

ube empanada is amazing

i've often thought that empanada would adapt well to vegetarian recipes

file this under fusion/crossover though

vegetarian lumpia would be great, too

instead of deep-frying, baking lumpia and empanada would improve those dishes

i think pancit would work as a vegetarian dish

but again, vegetarian filipino food is an oxymoron

sometimes, when i am feeling homesick/nostalgic, i'll make filipino-style eggs - which means frying a couple eggs in an inch of oil on high heat and eating it over white rice

trips me out that food is commonly left out on a table all day unrefrigerated

i guess being deepfried/vinegared/salted to death makes it unpalatable to bugs

and impervious to the ravages of time and the environment

i have no idea why i am participating in this awful thread

wtf are you even talking about??? have you even been to the philippines for longer than two weeks (and not in manila; malling/lame-o partying like most fil-ams who come here do?)

What an obtuse question.

My knowledge and experiences of and in the Philippines is extensive. Your not talking to a tourist here. Why would you assume otherwise? I'm not inclined to prove anything to you.

It speaks more about you if your experiences of FilAms is that limited.

where can you get ube empanada? all empanadas i know have meat inside them 

posting here for the same thing

where2kop

i'd like to be proven wrong...

sufu filipino restaurant would be an amusing concept

paging branespload

why don't you prove yourself...  restrain yourself from wearing female garb, i'm sure the avg person in the Philippines wouldn't  appreciate that you're wearing an $800 dollar skirt while they walk around with an empty stomach.

wait, i have an $800 skirt somewhere? nice!

Yeah we established why Filipino food sucks and why it doesn't translate quite a while ago.

Unlike other Asian dishes, it kind of lacks it's own identity, it's either basic as fuck peasant food that has a lot of salted/preserved stuff or offal or it's just a sub-par adaptation of European cuisine.

The restaurants you were linking, as SS said, are such a fusion it's not even Filipino anymore. One of the dishes was just sausages with rice.

But they make decent baked food (shout out to Goldilocks)

thanks for your candor and not taking shit the wrong way. again,  the point of this thread is not the impossible answer as to whether or not filipino food is "good," but if it can take off in the u.s.  if it can be marketed to nonfilipinos.  filipino food can't, unless it is fused with other cuisines.  hence it would cease to be filipino food.  

both of you fail in comprehension.

so this thread is not to determine if filipino food is good or bad.  its to determine if it can get popular in the US.  which it cant, reason being is that its bad and not as good as other asian cuisines.

fuxin idiots...

the thread is not the problem but the people participating in it.  the loudest with the most cocksure answers showing the most ignorance.  

the point is basically to hear other people's opinion on filipino food.  i hear you loud and clear and I appreciate that.

No you don't. I hate this thread and possibly hate you, your intentions, and 2 out of every 3 of Fil-Ams I've met.

Why do you need affirmation? What's the point of this thread? I think I sorely missed the point with my posts as this thread clearly does not mean to discuss the merits of Filipino food but instead ask whether or not the cuisine will ever make it in America.

I had dinner with the Monocle team and Tyler Brule specifically asked for Adobo and Sinangag versus the whole plethora of food we fed them. Listen to their 24 Radio show, there's a bit where they rave about ginumis for a full 6 minutes. Are you happy? Does this sate your need for anglo-american reaffirmation?

Filipinos/you need to find their balls, and by that I don't mean going here and participating in the sex trade / trying to fucking Brooklynize every thing that they get a chance at. Not true? Prove yourself wrong and stop posting.

from this statement we got idiots still assuming that the thread is there to get some validation from the white man.  as well as a critique on filams bad behavior.

you fux have some insecurity issues

Edited by Fourtyounce48

not to hijack this thread, but i just had burmese/myanmar food the other day, and it was fucking amazing.

there are a lot of under-appreciated cuisines out there, but i'm not sure if filipino food can really stand out on its own.

all of the "good" dishes in my opinion are essentially minor variations of other southeast asian dishes

i will say that i do appreciate desserts related to "ube"

Depending where you are ethiopian is either going up or about to. Dunno about Filipino food...

ethiopian is big in philadelphia

there's a restaurant (a couple) that combine ethiopian and indian (different parts of the menu but you can order off both)

i think indian and mexican would combine well

surely this already exists somewhere in the southwest of the USA

also, indian pizza - just imagine a palaak paneer pizza on naan (not hard, is it?)

the strangest of these mixed cuisine restaurants is/was (?) a Crown Fried Chicken that had a secret indian menu that they kept behind the counter - dudes would get so excited when you asked to see the indian menu...

also, there was (is?) this crazy korean pizza place - pizza in the front - but if you pushed through the beaded curtain it was straight up no-english korean seafood bonanza. awesome soups with all sorts of tentacled and crustacean marine life scuttling across the bottom of silent soup bowls

but back to filipino food - there's been attempts at this in philadelphia

i have to say i haven't tried them because i am vegetarian

but i believe Manila Bay in the northeast still exists - but that is a decidedly blue collar area

i think that's the niche where filipino food can survive

anecdotal, but my family has always gleefully noted that black people always show enthusiasm for the food at our family get togethers - keep in mind that filipinos are quick to stereotype/generalize - but it is in line with my own observations 

i don't want to explore what that means w/r/t the filipino restaurant market

there was a place in the swank Old(e) City section of philly called Cebu that failed due to what appears to have been an uninspired and inauthentic menu coupled with overpriced drinks - but one does not go into old(e) city for cheap eats, so this seems an odd complaint

i hold firm to the idea that a filipino food jeepney serving a lunch crowd might do ok

lack of refrigeration would not be an issue

O

destroyer i think its ensaymada .. which im craving for now

manila bay has been closed for a couple of years now, closest pinoy restaurant is in cherry hill

thinking of doing something with straight up pinoy street food, lumpias, maybe sisig .. even  some barbecue 

Edited by lil brown brother

Alright last post in this shithole.

Firstly, it's hilarious that you neg any post that has said anything to do with why Filipino food isn't big in the US.

Secondly, we're all somewhat mature here, you can use the word "fucking".

Thirdly, if you could pull your head out your ass and cut it with the over the top "gotta protect muh culture" stuff,it'd be nice. You keep saying we lack reading comprehension and we're not addressing the original question about why it hasn't been successful in the states...

well we have...multiple times.

You just don't like hearing why Filipino food isn't the shit.

Alright last post in this shithole.Firstly, it's hilarious that you neg any post that has said anything to do with why Filipino food isn't big in the US.Secondly, we're all somewhat mature here, you can use the word "fucking".Thirdly, if you could pull your head out your ass and cut it with the over the top "gotta protect muh culture" stuff,it'd be nice. You keep saying we lack reading comprehension and we're not addressing the original question about why it hasn't been successful in the states...well we have...multiple times.You just don't like hearing why Filipino food isn't the shit.

I doubt a reasonable person could get this impression from the dialogue conducted by me.

No one can be this obtuse.

I give you credit at your troll professionalism.

tumblr_m3dg27hBKd1qfw2dno1_500.gif

Edited by Fourtyounce48

reading this thread is responsible for me having filipino food twice in a row for lunch.

i can get behind more foodfight threads if this is what happens.

Nice, most people that's responded hated it.

I myself eat it on occasion when I get I craving for dishes like kare-kare, diniguan, and lechon.  Most of the times the heaviness of the filipino food I crave can be too much.

I'd rather eat many other types of cuisine most of the time but I appreciate it enough that I don't use words like suck to describe it.

I think there's a few restaurants that are presenting Filipino food well.  It's a nice change from the often poor-mediocre restaurant options that is typically available.

In essence it's not as "good" as say Thai or Vietnamese cuisine.

It doesn't have the sophistication in technique or ingredients used.  I mean just looking at the most popular dishes the seasoning or spices used are limited to basically soy, vinegar, salt and pepper.  The depth of flavor or nuance flavors you get from other cuisines is just not there.

Here's a video of a place that might be doing it right.  

It's not 100% authentic but this might be a good way to interpret filipino dishes in a way to gain popularity.

Do restaurants like these do a diservice to Filipino cuisine?  Because they don't seem to cater to directly filipinos but rather to non-filipinos?

Is it wrong or inauthentic to present Filipino food this way?  

Did the way korean, chinese, vietnamese, etc introduce it better because they catered directly to their own people and it just happened to catch on to other ethnicities?

Is the concept of deconstructing and reinterpreting and then presenting filipino cuisine this way contrived?

Edited by Fourtyounce48

destroyer i think its ensaymada .. which im craving for now

manila bay has been closed for a couple of years now, closest pinoy restaurant is in cherry hill

thinking of doing something with straight up pinoy street food, lumpias, maybe sisig .. even some barbecue

No, I know ensaymada.

Ube empanadas. Instead of meat, ube.

both of you fail in comprehension.

With all due respect, you are failing to comprehend how threads work around here. They become about whatever the members make them about. You opened with asking for peoples' perception of Filipino food and that is what you have been getting. Please stop attacking anyone who doesn't agree with you and calling them idiots - it is hurting your cause. Unless you are just trolling in which case we can move the thread to the Trash and let eveyone really have at it.

i am going to visit my mom in a couple months

i will put in my order for ube empanada and take high-res photos 

not putting on the barong, though

fuck man you better get at me when your here in manila imma take you out to see some girls!!!!!