Filipino Food Shit Talking Thread

Yes decent.

Yes I do have my own personal opinion why I don't think its popularity will rival other cuisines such as Thai or Vietnamese.

I do however think it hasn't been properly represented which would help better it's reputation to a certain degree.

Why would a statement like this elicit the idea that I'm hyping up Filipino food?

i don't care.  ur not fun to debate with.  with you i don't think it's possible.  it's like trying to play catch ball with a midget.

bye.  the end.

Judging from your reactions and tone it sounds like you rather argue and be adversarial than have a discussion where both parties share ideas.

shiiiititfuckfhitfuck

it's not about whether it sucks.  you should re-read your first post then all of mine.  for the last time, my opinion is that filipino food (authentic) just doesn't and can't translate to that of the collective palate of america.  you posed the question.  i have answered.  

you say that it doesnt or cant translate because its not good, rather primitive, and compared it to putting a silk hat on a pig.  sounds like you think it sucks and thats your reason you dont think itll be popular.

thats fine, dont be scared to say it

if it doesnt matter if it sucks or not, whats the reason it doesnt translate then?  then you say you answered the question.

Edited by Fourtyounce48

I don't know where you guys have been eating, but IMHO, I think Filipino food can run alongside other cuisines quite easily – if properly presented.

Sadly though it's that latter bit that plenty people fail at, Filipinos and Non-Filipinos alike. This isn't even taking account that we probably have 0 national pride and are quite eager to suck the cultural / racial penis of everyone else. 

It's like saying.. why isn't Peruvian cuisine in America? Why isn't Brazilian cuisine big in America? I mean, this isn't just true for ethnic cuisines, not too long ago you could even ask why isn't Southern food big in greater part of America?

It's a long story divided into islands, regions, families, multiplied by several periods of occupation (Spanish/Japanese/America), squared with centuries of cultural exchange with Malay, Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Mauri, etc. There is no flagship / "sushi" type dish that can give the greater whole any proper and justified representation.

This isn't even a special case either, you can see this pattern repeated in a lot of countries (mostly around or below the equator) who's national identity/fingerprint has been muddled by years of foreign occupation.

^that shit is not filipino food.  it's filipino influenced fusion. the guy in the 2nd video even said that shit wasn't filipino food.  not to mention that the philippines is a synthesis country.  

for example there is authentic chinese, japanese, thai, etc foods that have translated well overseas.  many are very successful in the u.s.a.  they have no need of other ethnic influences.

the two examples you gave me just reaffirm my original opinion that without the  crutch of outside influence, technique, et, that filipino cuisine is pretty much unmarketable in the u.s. to the nonfilipino.

I question what you call authentic when each country you listed  have heavily altered their foods to adjust to the American palate.

the only way that filipino food can be great/marketable is if it utilizes the crutch of other ethnic cuisines.  thus it ceases to be filipino food.

can authentic filipino food ever be "great?"  i doubt it.  can filipino food fusing their shit with that of other countrys' cuisines?  maybe. 

would i go there?  probably not, when i could just go to those other places instead.  if there was some authentic dish that happened to filipino, that was actually good, then maybe.  until now i've yet to experience or hear of one.

In terms of the videos, It's not so much as they are fusing Filipino cuisine with other ethnicities but just reinterpreting it with better technique, prep, ingredients, and presentation.

maybe shit could gain popularity by that of fusing and utilizing outside influences.  it may gain popularity, but guarantee that most patrons would choose the fusion rather than real filipino food.

think of all the fundamental differences between filipino food and other asian shit.

like i mentioned, there are many others in the u.s. that have no need to implement outside crutches.

most ethnic foods that have gotten traction in popularity here in the US has done so by reinterpreting their food. 

What kind of pisses me off though is why does it have to be big in America? Are you starting a restaurant in the US? Is America some sort of litmus paper of epicurean taste that Filipino food needs to impress its greater whole? 

I don't think Koreans/Vietnamese/Thai/Chinese/Japanese people gave a single fuck about whether or not their food would be a hit with Americans. It was good with them first and it's all that mattered. 

That Zimmerman quote and the recent Bourdain attention was nothing but a landmine to an over eager culture looking for affirmation.

What this is a giant finger pointing to a larger cultural problem that Filipinos quite frankly have. We assimilate too easily, have zero national identity and pride – and in an effort to reconnect, overcompensate by reaching for the kitschiest and dumbest things. (3 star hats, Jeepney / Jose Rizal / Dirty Ice Cream / Pacquaio Tees. The national flag is not a color peg for your clothing line)

I don't know where you guys have been eating, but IMHO, I think Filipino food can run alongside other cuisines quite easily – if properly presented.

Sadly though it's that latter bit that plenty people fail at, Filipinos and Non-Filipinos alike. This isn't even taking account that we probably have 0 national pride and are quite eager to suck the cultural / racial penis of everyone else. 

It's like saying.. why isn't Peruvian cuisine in America? Why isn't Brazilian cuisine big in America? I mean, this isn't just true for ethnic cuisines, not too long ago you could even ask why isn't Southern food big in greater part of America?

It's a long story divided into islands, regions, families, multiplied by several periods of occupation (Spanish/Japanese/America), squared with centuries of cultural exchange with Malay, Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Mauri, etc. There is no flagship / "sushi" type dish that can give the greater whole any proper and justified representation.

This isn't even a special case either, you can see this pattern repeated in a lot of countries (mostly around or below the equator) who's national identity/fingerprint has been muddled by years of foreign occupation.

I accidentally gave you message a thumbs down when i meant to give it positive feedback.  Thanks for giving a well thought out response. 

What kind of pisses me off though is why does it have to be big in America? Are you starting a restaurant in the US? Is America some sort of litmus paper of epicurean taste that Filipino food needs to impress its greater whole? 

I don't think Koreans/Vietnamese/Thai/Chinese/Japanese people gave a single fuck about whether or not their food would be a hit with Americans. It was good with them first and it's all that mattered. 

That Zimmerman quote and the recent Bourdain attention was nothing but a landmine to an over eager culture looking for affirmation.

What this is a giant finger pointing to a larger cultural problem that Filipinos quite frankly have. We assimilate too easily, have zero national identity and pride – and in an effort to reconnect, overcompensate by reaching for the kitschiest and dumbest things. (3 star hats, Jeepney / Jose Rizal / Dirty Ice Cream / Pacquaio Tees. The national flag is not a color peg for your clothing line)

I have the exact opinion as yourself.  I couldn't have sait it better.

I actually would have delve into this earlier but I got sidetracked debating some stupid and rather shallow points.

It's funny how people here accused me of wanting to hear some sort of applause for Filipino food/culture when I'm actually very critical of it.

I gotta admit, as a Filipino American these are the thoughts that is also on my mind but do not have the eloquence to communicate it.

This quote needs to be read and understood by all Filipinos.

I have the exact opinion as yourself.  I couldn't have sait it better.

I actually would have delve into this earlier but I got sidetracked debating some stupid and rather shallow points.

It's funny how people here accused me of wanting to hear some sort of applause for Filipino food/culture when I'm actually very critical of it.

No you don't. I hate this thread and possibly hate you, your intentions, and 2 out of every 3 of Fil-Ams I've met.

Why do you need affirmation? What's the point of this thread? I think I sorely missed the point with my posts as this thread clearly does not mean to discuss the merits of Filipino food but instead ask whether or not the cuisine will ever make it in America.

I had dinner with the Monocle team and Tyler Brule specifically asked for Adobo and Sinangag versus the whole plethora of food we fed them. Listen to their 24 Radio show, there's a bit where they rave about ginumis for a full 6 minutes. Are you happy? Does this sate your need for anglo-american reaffirmation?

Filipinos/you need to find their balls, and by that I don't mean going here and participating in the sex trade / trying to fucking Brooklynize every thing that they get a chance at. Not true? Prove yourself wrong and stop posting.

No you don't. I hate this thread and possibly hate you, your intentions, and 2 out of every 3 of Fil-Ams I've met.

Why do you need affirmation? What's the point of this thread? I think I sorely missed the point with my posts as this thread clearly does not mean to discuss the merits of Filipino food but instead ask whether or not the cuisine will ever make it in America.

I had dinner with the Monocle team and Tyler Brule specifically asked for Adobo and Sinangag versus the whole plethora of food we fed them. Listen to their 24 Radio show, there's a bit where they rave about ginumis for a full 6 minutes. Are you happy? Does this sate your need for anglo-american reaffirmation?

Filipinos/you need to find their balls, and by that I don't mean going here and participating in the sex trade / trying to fucking Brooklynize every thing that they get a chance at. Not true? Prove yourself wrong and stop posting.

I thought asking the question of the popularity of Filipino cuisine in America would delve into the merits of Filipino food.  I could have possibly phrased the question better.  

From the limited opinions you gave I still have to be in basic agreement with them.  In regards to the rest of the questions you pose I don't find a need to answer as it's not relavent to me.  

Similarly I end up detesting 2 of every 3 Filipino Americans myself though possibly for different reasons.  With that said I found myself hating 99 out of 100 of the Filipino bourgeois and old money nepotistic elites that I've encountered there.  Hope your not one of them but I do sense a little self hate in you.  

Still I appreciate your candor but with a little less ego driven presumptuousness next time.

now i know whats up.  don't feel threatened man.  we're not competition nor are we trying to brooklynize the philippines.  i understand you want to do it yourself.  looking outwardly and craving creativity originating from outside the philippines and in the same head space criticizing what you want to be.  seems like you hate those filipino americans because they are the competition for the attention you seek.

go on with your avant guarde self, you gay fish worshipping self loather.

Edited by Fourtyounce48

now i know whats up.  don't feel threatened man.  we're not competition nor are we trying to brooklynize the philippines.  i understand you want to do it yourself.  looking outwardly and craving creativity originating from outside the philippines and in the same head space criticizing what you want to be.  seems like you hate those filipino americans because they are the competition for the attention you seek.

go on with your avant guarde self, you gay fish worshipping self loather.

wow i went from thinking nothing of you to deciding you're full of shit 

meet me outside uniqlo MOA bitch

You know you love me...

As one other guy said: At least in my opinion, Filipino food is in the same range as Southern Comfort food. If it ain't done "right," it doesn't have that same greasy demeanor as it's "true" form. "Cleaning up" the food only bastardizes it even more.

I'm sure the adobo I've grown up eating tastes completely different than yours, as well as any other Filipino dish. I've never had an overpowering vinegar adobo as one other person in this thread has.

I'd go on, but there's no point.

Here's a tip: move out to the Philippines for an extended period of time and don't depend on US currency to get you by, then revisit your thread. You'll answer your own questions and have a whole new perception of Filipino food vs Filipino fusion vs Filipino "peasant" food and so on...

What are people perception of Filipino food? Why hasn't it caught on the way other Asian cuisines has in the US?

Andrew Zimmern has mentioned that he believes Filipino cuisine is the next big thing for the US food scene. Having grown up eating Filipino dishes and believing that it does have a lot to offer I don't see this happening.

As much as I love my culture's food it's not the most sophisticated cuisine. I liken it to soul food of the south. It's comfort food. I noticed many restaurants trying to "elevate" it by trying to make it fancy food. I think this is the wrong approach. It's not meant to be eaten this way. To truly elevate a filipino dish, all that's truly needed would be to use the best ingredients possible.

It is actually doing well in NYC since Maharlika opened, here are the other two that just opened recently;

It is actually doing well in NYC since Maharlika opened, here are the other two that just opened recently;

yep i made some video links to that restaurant.  hopefully get a chance to try it out.

some people in the thread dont consider it filipino food tho.

it must give you a great deal of self worth and satisfaction criticizing the cultural flaws that Filipinos have while walking around all proud  of yourself while being oblivious to the plight of avg filipinos.  Way to have perspective.  You have no moral, eithical, or intellectual superiority to be asking anyone to prove themselves.

Fux you and your complex, cretin