italy :: rome :: general

GLUK

One of the many crazy places I slept when I rode freight trains across america.

Damn man .. you should definitely hit me up about how that experience was, sounds crazy. I'd love to do something like that.

I think I'm gonna have a lotta free time while I'm over there so if anyone from Superfuture wants to meet up, lemme know.

• 5 months later...

Hello

I am going to Rome for a week in the spring, and would like to spend some money. In particular I am looking for sixties/mod-like stores. I know DNA Groove - other shops with (somewhat) reasonably priced shirts (button-down etc), suits etc ? Any great second hand shops/markets - I know places in London with lotsa cheap second hand suits. I can always have them tailored to fit.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

I was planning on traveling to Rome for 7 to 10 days during my spring break to visit a friend studying abroad. Considering my limited time there, I wanted to find out essential places I could check out when in Rome... any suggestions?

Also, I've tried many of the online travel sites (expedia.com, orbitz, kayak, etc.) but they've been frustrating to say the least. Can anyone help in getting a reasonably priced airline ticket without shady service or am I stuck with these shoddy websites?

Thanks in advance!

PS: Alitalia sucks...

Might be a bit dated, but..

I haven't been in Rome for a while, so some info could be a bit dodgy, so correct me if you please.

Hit the St. Peter early and make sure you climb it to the roof. It's probably the best view over the city. Stay clear of the grand monument on sundays, unless you want to be amongst the trillion other visitors to hear the pope preach. I guess the Pantheon, the Forum, the Trevi Fountains (cliche but still worth it at night imo), the Spanish Steps, and so on, are all essential stops for your fisrt visit, but I'll leave that section to the standard travel guides.

Oh, here's a museum tip: Most visitors run for the overwhelming Vatican Museum as fast as they can, unfortunately resulting also in an overwhelming number of visitors. If you want something more peaceful and small, go for the Galleria Borghese for which you need to make reservations, see: http://www.galleriaborghese.it/. (Thank you Frank!)

The Campo dei Fiori is where Rome's youth hangs out at night. During the day it's also very lively with merchants. Many cafes and restaurants here. If you haven't booked a place to stay yet, I suggest you set up camp in this area or at least try to hang out here as often as possible. The Campo and the Spanish Steps are probably the best locations to chat up the local eye candy. I hope you speak Italian though. Good hunting!

Restaurant tips..

For Italian haute cuisine, hit La Pergola in the Cavalieri Hilton (Via Cadolo) or the food-wise spectacular Il Convivio Troiani (Vicolo dei Soldati 31) where the bar for Italian haute cuisine is set. Pricey stuff and not really the places I would visit if you're on the hunt with your boys, but you can't beat the food here.

I should also mention the excellent Casa Bleve.

Dal Bolognese (Piazza del Popolo) Sit among the who's who of film, sports and fashion. Hello Mister Scorsese. Main courses are around 10-20 euros. Food is outstanding, by the way.

Nino (Piazza di Spagna) This place is for young (and old) fashionistas, journalists types and add to that a bunch of tourists. It's been around for 3 million years. Very near the Spanish Steps.

Les Etoiles (Via della Lupa 29B) is situated on a rooftop garden overlooking the city. Wow. It's part of Hotel Atlante Star.

Maccheroni (Piazza delle Coppelle) amazing local food and very affordable - around $10 for a bottle of very decent housewine. Superfuture crowds.

TAD (Via del Babuino) very trendy restaurant located in a concept store. Good fusion food. Bit pricey.

Here's a tip for the brave-hearted: head to Via del Banchi Nuovi 10 where some old Italian mama in a restaurant (?) with no name will give you one hell of a meal. You won't understand a thing she says, but you will eat as the Romans do. 20 euros will buy you a three course meal including wine, water, coffee with cookies. It doesn't get any more Italian than this.

And now for the pizzas..

A contestant for best pizza in the city is Baffetto (Via del Governo Vecchio 114). Also, Acchiapafantasmi (Via dei Cappellari 66) offers great pizza near Campo de' Fiori. On the Campo itself, go for the friendly Er Grottino. You should also go for the famous 'pizza bianca' at Antico Forno Roscioli (Via dei CHiavari) which is also just off Campo de Fiori.

Tazza d'Oro (Via degli Orfani 84) for coffee. Near the Pantheon. Now you understand why Starbucks is the worst thing ever to happen to mankind.

Another good place for coffee and celebrity spotting is Café Riccioli (Piazza delle Coppelle 10A). Good looking crowds and tasty free hors d'oeuvres.

Cafe Di Rienzo is where you can sip your cappuccino and watch the Pantheon at the same time. Touristy and nothing special besides the view.

Antico Caffee della Pace (Via della Pace 3) is popular amongst creative Romans and tourists.

Coco (Piazza delle Coppelle 54) is another very trendy bar/restaurant filled with young Romans who enjoy the ever affordable pizzas and pastas served here.

Tazio Brasserie (Piazza della Repubblica 47), once winner of Wallpaper's 'bar of the year' award is well worth a visit if only for interior. Prepare to spend a few-days budget if you plan to eat here though. In that same category, Es Hotel (Via Turati) houses two design restaurants slash cocktail bars with an amazing view. Recommended by the Beckhams of this world.

The area of Trastevere is well worth a visit as does not see as many tourists as the rest of the city. It has plenty of pretty scenery and ofcourse the better, more undicovered places to eat or drink. Wander around..

The view from Janiculum Hill is impressive and it rivals the one from the roof of the St. Peter's. From here, it's nice to strawl into Trastevere.

Antico Arco Roma (Piazzale Aurelio 7) Awesome restaurant, one of the best in Trastevere and very affordable considering the outstanding quality. As a result it's crowded so book ahead. Surprisingly, there many American expats (?) come here so it might also be a good source of tips for further exploration of the city for you guys.

Make reservations for one of the better tables at Sabatini (Piazza del Popolo) with an amazing view on the church that is lit at night.

Chakra Cafe is one of the coolest bars in Trastevere. Piazza Santa Maria is Trastevere's equivalent of Rome's Campo de' Fiori. This is where the socializing continues when most bars close their doors (01:00).

Panattoni (Viale Trastevere) is another nice restaurant with good pizza and open till late.

By the way, even if you don't want to visit Trastevere, you should go there anyway for this: Dar Poeta (Vicolo del Bologna) has the best pizza in Rome (although I'll probably get shot for writing this). Friendly service to boot.

I guess that should do it for now. I need to stress again that some info might be dated as my last visit was too long ago.

• 4 weeks later...
Hello,

I was planning on traveling to Rome for 7 to 10 days during my spring break to visit a friend studying abroad. Considering my limited time there, I wanted to find out essential places I could check out when in Rome... any suggestions?

Also, I've tried many of the online travel sites (expedia.com, orbitz, kayak, etc.) but they've been frustrating to say the least. Can anyone help in getting a reasonably priced airline ticket without shady service or am I stuck with these shoddy websites?

Thanks in advance!

PS: Alitalia sucks...

i would add travelocity to that list of website. are the prices really that bad? how "shitty" are we talking? are you going during a peak vacation time?

i would add travelocity to that list of website. are the prices really that bad? how "shitty" are we talking? are you going during a peak vacation time?

I got a ticket using Swiss.com. The travel websites listed tickets that weren't really available and Alitalia is a scam... my credit card would not go through on their website and when I called, they would quote a completely different price stating that ticket is no longer available.

I am leaving in three days (3/5), any other suggestions?! Anyone in rome?!

Thanks a bunch

PS: Euro is at its peak agains the $.. awesome

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Try to revive this thread... I'm going to stay around Trastevere area for 5 days but still would like to visit the touristy places... is it easy to go around from this area? And is it easy to get here from Termini Station? Thanks for all the helpful suggestions btw...

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Crazy to see this thread revived. Rome was a dope experience for me. Because of my complexion / appearance, a lotta people thought I was a local (I'm not even Italian at all), which got me into some interesting shit.

Tisswat wrote up an ill restaurant guide along with some things to check, but I didn't shop much ... I'll see if I can find Tisswat's Rome bible.

In the food department, you have to go da Alfredo e Ada at 14 Banchi Nuovi. It's a small restaurant, this old woman and her sister cook you a three course meal (whatever the dishes of the night are) and you get all the white wine and bread you want for 18 euros a head. I ended up eating there three times throughout the course of the month I crashed around Rome ... definitely some of the best meals I've ever had.

My other words of advice are ... beware of the dogman.

Are u talkin about wat Tisswat posted in the previous pages? cuz that stuff was really nice and thorough. gonna definitely help. i saw another Rome thread but i think its the same stuff just copy and pasted.

But man, Alfredo e Ada sounds so good and for only 18??? Nice!

but wait, wat dogman? haha

• 4 months later...

Bumping this thread for more recommendations. I'll be going there next week, spend a Saturday afternoon/evening and a Sunday there, and then another Sunday the week after. So not much time for shopping, but I'm asking for recommendations on restaurants, cafes, bars, sights...

Also, what's a good place to watch the World Cup in Rome??

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^Didn't do much shopping while I was there last month... My wife found some stuff on Via del Governo Vecchio, but they didn't seem to have too much men's stores. I was there for only a couple of days and mainly did sightseeing.

Let me know if you find any great places, looks like I'll be back there sometime soon.

• 1 year later...
Posted · Hidden by sksl5364, April 2, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by sksl5364, April 2, 2012 - No reason given

Hi, I am going to rome this november and going to spend couple days.

This is my first time to europe and I really need your helps.

can anyone suggest me great shops, outlet, boutique, vintage shop, consignment store, etc?

please give me names and what they carry?

Thank you so much!

• 2 weeks later...