italy :: rome :: general

GLUK

Hi, currently living in London, wondering if anyone can tell me when the winter sales start in either Milan, Rome or Florence. Also, any advice as to where to go to get the best deals (clothing, bags, shoes, accessories, etc) in these cities.

I've not been to these cities before, where do you recommend that I stay for my short 2-3 day shopping trip?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers,

G

email me at [email protected]

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello George,

Last year arround new year we've been to Milan all the stores including famous brands have sale till late January. Check these streets: Via Montenapoleone, Via della Spiga and Via Sant'Andrea, Via Manzoni, Via Borgospesso and Via Santo Spirito are the outer limits of the famous Fashion Quadrilatero.

You'll find the outlets (some proper) also if you start shopping! Have fun!

Hello G,

Sale is on right now, I've been there last new year arround this time, check these streets for sure: via montenapoleone, via della spiga, via sant'Andrea.

Rest you'll find on your way, check these outlets:

- D Magazine Outlet, Via Montenapoleone 26

- Diffusione MaxMara, Galleria San Carlo (tegenover MaxMara )

- Il Salvagene, Via Fratello Bronzetti 16

Have fun!

bl-nd...http://bl-nd.foamotion.com/

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

i'm heading to rome and florence for the first time in 2 weeks. any recommendations would be great, but I'm especially interested in the following:

shopping > not looking for big name labels or leathergoods. rather, i would like to find local designers and vintage clothing.

food > any good restaurants, and maybe even some good cafes.

nightlife > fun/chill bars, especially ones with good interior design, not dance clubs.

art > museums and galleries that exhibit contemporary works.

thanks.

Rome -

go to a soccer game if you can, there is nothing like the Stadio Olimpico chock-full with thousands of insane Italians chanting like madmen.......as far as specific shit, just WALK, walk everywhere all day every day; it is an unbelievably beautiful city and very navigable....

• 3 months later...

if you are could you please drop me a line cos i need a favour if you dont mind. all i need doing is for someone to take a picture of a painting for me in the vatican museum please.

i went to rome last year and took a pic of this painting but when i got back is was very blurred.

so if you can help please contact me

thanks in advance

HIP HOP SLUTERATTI AND THE STYLE ELITE

• 11 months later...

I'm gonna be in Rome for about two weeks, but currently don't have any plans for where I'm going to stay or what I'm going to see.

Any suggestions on cheap hotels or hostels?

And as someone who's never been there, what places should I check out?

I'm not a Rome lover, but The Yellow Hostel, is the best one in Europe. Had an awsome time just becouse of staying there.

I don't remember the exact location, but it is near the train station, Roma Termini, and if I'm not wrong the street is called Via Traverso.

Check it out online anyway.

Your first post helped me out. You're on your way to greatness, kid.

My friends are pussies and don't want to stay in a hostel. So I'll most likely end up wasting money at a hotel.

How come you didn't like Rome? Any suggestions of where to go?

when i stayed in rome it was at Hotel Piccolo, which literally translates to 'small hotel' lol wasn't too bad in my opinion as i didn't spend much time there..it's by the Piazzi di Spagna...and the rooms are named after famous artists and thats bout it lol...it's also sort of near to a internet cafe

You can say that again.

If you're travelling in europe with a bunch of dudes, and you stay in a hotel...I don't even know what to call that.

Gay?

I'd like to take a dip into some foreign pussy, and I don't think I'd be able to accomplish that if I brought a lady friend. Don't get me wrong, girls are great to have on the plane ride there and back .. basically got massaged for 6 hours straight on my way back from Amsterdam. But hey this might be my only chance to get into some born and raised Italian trenches.

when i stayed in rome it was at Hotel Piccolo, which literally translates to 'small hotel' lol wasn't too bad in my opinion as i didn't spend much time there..it's by the Piazzi di Spagna...and the rooms are named after famous artists and thats bout it lol...it's also sort of near to a internet cafe

Do you know how much it was a night there Coco? How long ago did you go to Rome? I forget the name of the hotel that we booked, but it's about $100 a night.

I haven't been in Rome for a while, so some info could be a bit dodgy, so correct me if you please.

Hit the St. Peter early and make sure you climb it to the roof. It's probably the best view over the city. Stay clear of the grand monument on sundays, unless you want to be amongst the trillion other visitors to hear the pope preach. I guess the Pantheon, the Forum, the Trevi Fountains (cliche but still worth it at night imo), the Spanish Steps, and so on, are all essential stops for your fisrt visit, but I'll leave that section to the standard travel guides.

Oh, here's a museum tip: Most visitors run for the overwhelming Vatican Museum as fast as they can, unfortunately resulting also in an overwhelming number of visitors. If you want something more peaceful and small, go for the Galleria Borghese for which you need to make reservations, see: http://www.galleriaborghese.it/. (Thank you Frank!)

The Campo dei Fiori is where Rome's youth hangs out at night. During the day it's also very lively with merchants. Many cafes and restaurants here. If you haven't booked a place to stay yet, I suggest you set up camp in this area or at least try to hang out here as often as possible. The Campo and the Spanish Steps are probably the best locations to chat up the local eye candy. I hope you speak Italian though. Good hunting!

Restaurant tips..

For Italian haute cuisine, hit La Pergola in the Cavalieri Hilton (Via Cadolo) or the food-wise spectacular Il Convivio Troiani (Vicolo dei Soldati 31) where the bar for Italian haute cuisine is set. Pricey stuff and not really the places I would visit if you're on the hunt with your boys, but you can't beat the food here.

I should also mention the excellent Casa Bleve.

Dal Bolognese (Piazza del Popolo) Sit among the who's who of film, sports and fashion. Hello Mister Scorsese. Main courses are around 10-20 euros. Food is outstanding, by the way.

Nino (Piazza di Spagna) This place is for young (and old) fashionistas, journalists types and add to that a bunch of tourists. It's been around for 3 million years. Very near the Spanish Steps.

Les Etoiles (Via della Lupa 29B) is situated on a rooftop garden overlooking the city. Wow. It's part of Hotel Atlante Star.

Maccheroni (Piazza delle Coppelle) amazing local food and very affordable - around $10 for a bottle of very decent housewine. Superfuture crowds.

TAD (Via del Babuino) very trendy restaurant located in a concept store. Good fusion food. Bit pricey.

Here's a tip for the brave-hearted: head to Via del Banchi Nuovi 10 where some old Italian mama in a restaurant (?) with no name will give you one hell of a meal. You won't understand a thing she says, but you will eat as the Romans do. 20 euros will buy you a three course meal including wine, water, coffee with cookies. It doesn't get any more Italian than this.

And now for the pizzas..

A contestant for best pizza in the city is Baffetto (Via del Governo Vecchio 114). Also, Acchiapafantasmi (Via dei Cappellari 66) offers great pizza near Campo de' Fiori. On the Campo itself, go for the friendly Er Grottino. You should also go for the famous 'pizza bianca' at Antico Forno Roscioli (Via dei CHiavari) which is also just off Campo de Fiori.

Tazza d'Oro (Via degli Orfani 84) for coffee. Near the Pantheon. Now you understand why Starbucks is the worst thing ever to happen to mankind.

Another good place for coffee and celebrity spotting is Café Riccioli (Piazza delle Coppelle 10A). Good looking crowds and tasty free hors d'oeuvres.

Cafe Di Rienzo is where you can sip your cappuccino and watch the Pantheon at the same time. Touristy and nothing special besides the view.

Antico Caffee della Pace (Via della Pace 3) is popular amongst creative Romans and tourists.

Coco (Piazza delle Coppelle 54) is another very trendy bar/restaurant filled with young Romans who enjoy the ever affordable pizzas and pastas served here.

Tazio Brasserie (Piazza della Repubblica 47), once winner of Wallpaper's 'bar of the year' award is well worth a visit if only for interior. Prepare to spend a few-days budget if you plan to eat here though. In that same category, Es Hotel (Via Turati) houses two design restaurants slash cocktail bars with an amazing view. Recommended by the Beckhams of this world.

The area of Trastevere is well worth a visit as does not see as many tourists as the rest of the city. It has plenty of pretty scenery and ofcourse the better, more undicovered places to eat or drink. Wander around..

The view from Janiculum Hill is impressive and it rivals the one from the roof of the St. Peter's. From here, it's nice to strawl into Trastevere.

Antico Arco Roma (Piazzale Aurelio 7) Awesome restaurant, one of the best in Trastevere and very affordable considering the outstanding quality. As a result it's crowded so book ahead. Surprisingly, there many American expats (?) come here so it might also be a good source of tips for further exploration of the city for you guys.

Make reservations for one of the better tables at Sabatini (Piazza del Popolo) with an amazing view on the church that is lit at night.

Chakra Cafe is one of the coolest bars in Trastevere. Piazza Santa Maria is Trastevere's equivalent of Rome's Campo de' Fiori. This is where the socializing continues when most bars close their doors (01:00).

Panattoni (Viale Trastevere) is another nice restaurant with good pizza and open till late.

By the way, even if you don't want to visit Trastevere, you should go there anyway for this: Dar Poeta (Vicolo del Bologna) has the best pizza in Rome (although I'll probably get shot for writing this). Friendly service to boot.

I guess that should do it for now. I need to stress again that some info might be dated as my last visit was too long ago.

I'd like to take a dip into some foreign pussy, and I don't think I'd be able to accomplish that if I brought a lady friend. Don't get me wrong, girls are great to have on the plane ride there and back .. basically got massaged for 6 hours straight on my way back from Amsterdam. But hey this might be my only chance to get into some born and raised Italian trenches.

Oh no , my friend. I was not suggesting bringing a lady friend AT ALL, I was mearly suggesting you guys get grimey and stay at a hostel, a rooming house, in someone's home, or something else off the beaten path.

It can be an interesting way to see a new place, though sometimes it requires more leg work up front, or no leg work, followed by sleeping in the bushes of a shopping center in far northern california....

But that's another story all together.

Oh no , my friend. I was not suggesting bringing a lady friend AT ALL, I was mearly suggesting you guys get grimey and stay at a hostel, a rooming house, in someone's home, or something else off the beaten path.

It can be an interesting way to see a new place, though sometimes it requires more leg work up front, or no leg work, followed by sleeping in the bushes of a shopping center in far northern california....

But that's another story all together.

Ah, well I thought you were insinuating that I was gay and of course I had to defend my manhood.

Anyway, now that we're on the same page. I'd have to agree with you on the whole get grimey thing .. first of all we're gonna be out most of the time so we don't need a fancy sleeping spot .. at all. Besides, staying at a hostel or a boarding house would be an easy way to meet other travelers.

So, what's this whole sleeping in bushes story? Go on ...

Oh, and thanks for all the info Tisswat. Really appreciate it, definitely gonna save it and print it out.