Stores with the Best/Worst Service

Guest Fade to Black

best in NYC (for me):

* Atelier: Karlo is extremely warm, knowledgeable, very approachable. Loves his work. Gentry et al. are great guys.

* Seven: Great group. Taiann especially has been extremely patient w/ me, as I kept trying on Acnes, sending them back, trying them on again, ad infinitum

* Famous Friends: Richard and I small-talk. He's the best and totally in the know. The Japanese dude and I chitchat nihongo-de, even if I'm not buying.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good:

stussy nyc- the big black guy with curly hair has always been very nice to me, but the rest of those cats ignore.

kidrobot- always too crowded

supreme- mixed. sometimes they are mad friendly, sometimes i get no love. guess i'm not there enough to develop a relationship.

clientelle- wack. when they first opened i went in the middle of a weekday and there was no one in the store and the two workers were standing outside yelling at each other. i havent gone back since.

classic kicks- nick and jen are dope, too bad they rarely have anything cool available.

dqm- friendly.

aNYthing- first time i was there i wanted some stickers and there were to asian hypebeasts crowding around the case, for like 10 minutes. they spent $40 on stickers. i asked the worker for one sticker, he charged me $2 and gave me every sticker they had. made me laugh.

apc in ny- great help

nort/recon- old location of nort was icey, but recon was helful. now they seem generally nice, but always crowded.

9/10 of the salespeople at barney's coop in south coast are complete jackasses. they look at what you are wearing and either go for your balls or completely ignore you. i went in wearing nudies and a bbc shirt and they threw themselves at me. went in the following week in shorts and some slipons and it took me 20 minutes to get a salesperson to help me, who then promptly said shed find someone else to help me before she went completely awol. however, there is one chick who is completely cool and always helping, recommending other things i might not have seen and letting me in on any sales/clearances they are having. but if it wasnt for her i would want to burn the place down.

Hmm, I don't know. Every time I'm at Barney's Co-Op in South Coast, I leave pretty happy. Most of the people working there have seen me in there in one way or another and I'm pretty chill with alot of the sales associates. Then again, it doesn't really take much to impress me. As long as people give me some space and let me try on clothes it's all dandy.

The only frown I have going out of that store is from how I can never afford to buy all the pieces I want in there. :(

Best

83 Bloor

Love this store, the sales are always super friendly and helpful with the background of any of the pieces. Can't remember any time that I didn't get good service in this shop. No attitude at all.

Nomad

Very chill atmosphere, as a lot of people have mentioned, Zeb is super friendly.

JCY @ FMP

Friendly and very personal staff, previews for frequent customers, negotiable pricing, and all that. Relaxed atmosphere.

Donnell Enns at Uncle Otis is definitely the chillest retail guy I've met. Uncle Otis is a zero attitude zone. I do wish that he would get more lines that I like in. I like that he has Vans Vault, W+H/Wings&Horns, and Duffer Shield. but some cool jeans like 5EP or Rag & Bone would be nice.

Everyone at Denim Bar seem very helpful, and it is the one stop denim place. Pretty much anything non-Japanese repro can be found there.

Richard at Famous Friends is the guy you go to if you want the latest. Great denim, Also a chill guy.

In the same vein, Traffic LA is very good. They are great at picking out the best of the new. The perpetual sale rack sometimes (sometimes!) has some gems as well. Which is good, because the store does not stock cheap stuff.

Maxfield itself can be a little daunting, but Maxfield Bleu is cool. People are helpful and not pushy, especially on weekdays. On weekends and when they get a new shipment, they seem a little more than a little harried.

American Rag has good service, but the staff knowledge is hit and miss. Some people are great. Some, not so much. Pretty much what you expect from a bigger store. Same goes for Ron Herman (although the knowledge level (and price point) is conmsiderably higher there. HTC (especialy in Santa Monica) has friendly staff. Some of the guys there, especially, are very helpful.

Stel's in Boston is good. Tina is especially helpful. Wish they carried more stock. But it is a small store.

Brian at Peasant is very nice as well. He definitely has interesting stock, and probably lots of it unique in Michigan.

Alan Bilzerian has incredible taste level. The guys that work there are very chill as well. A little attitude the first time I went in, and then absolutely nothing after that.

The Saks Men's store in SF has always, always impressed me. Margiela, Junya Watanabe, Dries, and CdG, at a Saks? Well, there you go, And all the staff there are all willing to go that extra bit.

There are more, but that is my list for now.

Bad actors:

Neiman Marcus anywhere. Bad attitudes and boring merchandise, all round.

A shop in that big mall near the gaslight district in SD, "Uomo", maybe?. Crappy Eutrashy stuff. And the owner thinks that he's all that. Fuggetaboutit. The stuff sucks anyway. It's been a few years, but I hope he's out of business.

The Andover Shop in Cambridge MA. Has nothing of interest to people here. But avoid it if you ever decide to go trad-preppy. There is nothing but attitude there.