let's talk about old/weird(?) sneakers

The problem with Boris Bidjan Saberi isn’t just that his work is the amalgamation of multiple more inspired, more talented designers, but that it’s also so cynical in that Boris is very much about commercial expediency and absolutely not about design vision, not about technical execution, and it is one hundred percent not about the wearer. You can see this when he takes Carol’s dead end concepts and just turns them into decorative seaming rather than an attempt to blend panels together, you can see it when he tries to ape the undersleeve paneling of Rick Owens and Carol Christian Poell but fails to incorporate the gusset, but most of all it’s so apparent when he takes these transparent moves to align himself with skateboarders and with hip hop, not by embracing their aesthetic and culture in a meaningful way, but by name dropping his favorite Madvillain album and saying, yeah dude, I totally used to skate in my teens!

That the hip hop community has wholly ignored him is a very good sign and makes me feel like I’m not the odd one out in reading him in this way, but that there’s pockets of the luxury market that have embraced him, makes me worry for these people and wonder what it is they’re trying to achieve in their consumption of fashion.

Edited by madame twerq

The problem with Boris Bidjan Saberi....

I do pretty much agree with most of what you've said although I do find some pieces from his collections that I like - mostly shirts and pants. I was mostly just curious on your thoughts. I think Boris' redeeming point is his fabric treatments which I find unique to him and while I have never been a great follower I am finding his ss14 collection to be my favourite so far. The hip-hop and skate influence is, as you've mentioned, all talk though. It's started to emerge in the line 11 collection but in a really forced way. The first line 11 collection was a great, practical little capsule but the newer stuff is really suburban.

i'm just all or nothing about this kind of stuff and will refuse to patronize designers if i feel pangs of cognitive dissonance; plus boris doesn't have a women's line, nor cute boyfriend fits like rick's menswear, which makes this decision very easy

i am still waging an internal war over whether or not bvlgari's fragrances are nice enough to excuse their tangential involvement in worker exploitation via their connection to lvmh. sometimes i eat granola and i have a relatively small carbon footprint and i once had a pair of pre-nike chuck taylors because they were made of hemp.

speaking of nike im also having a crises about whether or not to snatch a cute gyakusou fit to bicycle in

Edited by madame twerq

Let's just take a second to view the shoes from an unbiased viewpoint and imagine any other designer created them. In that case, the shoes are both unique, weird, and in my opinion something that I would like to own. Sorry to stir up a debate on the practice of a designer by posting some shoes...

^too disparate imho. feels very tacked on to me but maybe another cw will change my opinion.

i'd rather sharkalaids if we're talking air raid sole mishmashes
SC-Sharkalaid4.jpg

sharkleys were p cool too. sat on nike id for a while. all white makeups and other tonal permutations looked good imo.
tumblr_n4s24zYjfj1qa47z6o1_250.png

going back to air max pillar. actually really like but the silhouette is extremely bottom-heavy; not easy wear i'd say x_x
525226-010-02.jpg?_ex=360x360&s=2&r=1

also has someone already posted these mita pump furys????
1-ReebokxMITApumpfury.jpg

Edited by PRICK DOM

^too disparate imho. feels very tacked on to me but maybe another cw will change my opinion.

Sides and panelling are different too and not in a good way. Toe looks weird, lack of details on the side make the straps look weird, and the smaller rubber attachment thing.

Does anyone know if the Raf Paneled sneakers were made in very limited quantities or something? I can't say I put extensive time trying to find a pair for sale, but i've put some effort and can never seem to come by them.

raf-simons-x-adidas-panelled-running-sho

raf-simons-ss13-sneakers-6.jpg

They just weren't as widely available as the Adidas. The first pair you posted hit sale at OCLA.

If you're 42 - linky

All the stars aligned just now. You are a godsend trick dom. May not be the exact pair I was looking for, but I instacopped regardless. They are fantastic. 

I'm pretty sure we have one colour of the laced highs and these on 50% markdown:

raf-simons-ss13-sneakers-1.jpg

Could proxy if you're terribly keen on it.

I'm going to issue a frank warning though and say that the quality is questionable–almost cheap :(—at best. Mine have held up pretty well (considering I wear them sparingly) but I personally know 2 other friends who's shoes are literally falling apart at the seams. 

On the topic of that tho, I'd buy another pair of these if I could. Probably one of the best things I've purchased in the last 3 years.

Ya those are so good. I imagine impressively difficult to come by, as I can't imagine the market of buyers to be as large as the other seasons. But I personally would love to find those.