let's talk about old/weird(?) sneakers

So what's everyones opinion on the new collaborations? Are you going to buy less of Raf-didas or it's still same level as Raf? Quality should improve (raf was almost always questionable at best) but the exclusivity might be gone. Will everyone buy Rick's collabo and make them the new nike roshe? Are they going to change prices of other sneakers like mmm or balenciaga?

^adiraf pretty cool, but i probably won't kop.  mainly cause lotta my friends did and cause i'm not so much into high tech future lookin stuffs.

adirick won't be new nike roshe.  new nike roshe was popular i'm assuming cause they got a fuckin cheap pricetag.

no no no no no no no

flyknits = new roshe

So what's everyones opinion on the new collaborations? Are you going to buy less of Raf-didas or it's still same level as Raf? Quality should improve (raf was almost always questionable at best) but the exclusivity might be gone. Will everyone buy Rick's collabo and make them the new nike roshe? Are they going to change prices of other sneakers like mmm or balenciaga?

I really really like the Raf X Adidas collabs.

Especially the SS 2014 floral embrodiary sneakers.

I just got the AW 2013 sneakers a few days ago and quality is what you'd expect from a high-performance running sneaker (though I won't be working out in them).

I doubt they would become mainstream because they are so "ugly".

Which is the point.

I really like how Raf is pushing the envelope on what is luxury/high-fashion.

Sort of what Bernhard Willhelm has done in the past.

And what Rick Owens continues to do.

BW is a good example. The Camper ones are not bad and they never really got mainstream.

I like the floral ones too and I'll probably get them. But I'll probably get the Y-3 Qasa and possible adiricks as well. Adiricks might be the most popular (I'm not even sure what they will cost, anyone?) so that might push some people away. I can still wear Y-3 to work but probably not the others so that's a different type of purchase.

people think it might cost a few hundred for the adi ricks.  i remember dismal saying people were gonna wish they copped the raf adidas a long time ago when they thought it was ugly.

there were no adidas raf.  only asics raf, dummy.

Rick Adidas are supposedly going to be around $500. I think that is in the price range where not everyone will jump on them immediately. I'm sure traplords and fuccbois will get their hands on these, though.

The designer collaborations will never be the "next Roshe" because the main reason the Roshe was so successful was the ease of manufacturing allowing for a much smaller MSRP.

From what it looks like, the Raf Adidas aren't flying off the shelves either. Maybe too much design in them for most people, but I really like what Raf has done with the models he uses in his collection. They barely look like the base models.

white seismics fukin nice! goddamn 
even those 02-03 kukinis

re: new collabos 
all of them hold different kinds of appeal to me. would totally cop this season's adirafs (pink ozweego 2s particularly appealing to me) but i lack the purchasing power and thusly won't cry over the inability to. such is life. next season's adirafs looking pretty out there (especially the micropacer/creeper things) but still cool. makes even more sense alongside his clothing >_> adidowens p cool but somehow i'm not losing my mind. 
then again i find i'm not so into the rick aesthetic; something about it feels difficult to remove from the drapey drapey context. dunno. x_x 

adirafs too ugly to be the new roshe. it's the ugliness i like.

Strangeness/ugliness aside, the price point is the major turnoff for the masses. It will expose people to both designers and they will gain new fans. Some will cop because they look cool. I love the Dickdidas because they look like post-op shoes. I doubt the people who wear Roshes will buy Raf/Rickdidas.

If the $ from the collaborations can help the designers to make better clothes and bigger runway presentations, then why not? 

Raf held his spring 14 at an off-site art gallery and I hope the fall show tops it and Rick had that crazy live band. His runway shows with the fire and the foam were nice. Something theatrical would be great for his womens Spring 14 show.

Both are still independent companies. Most of the womenswear brands are owned by groups and make most of their $ from leather goods, accessories and makeup. It's not as easy to make easy $ in menswear (if you don't count socks and printed tees).

Sure, fuccbois and other undesirables will buy them because Raf and Rick are hot shits. But you already have the rich Persian bros and eurotrash Italians buying Dior Homme/Saint Laurent and whatnot. The Chineses are beasting over CCP.

Balenciaga and MM are different things. The direction of Balenciaga changed about two years ago (I remember reading an article mentioning the desire to make it more American and to exploit the booming Chinese market). PLUS they kicked out Nicolas Ghesquière and hired one of the hottest/america-street/coolest-of-the-moment designer, AWang. 

MM is owned by Diesel and will do anything and everything to make more money. When you start thinking they can't make it worse, they will surprise you.

I had those exact BW liner trainers and the all-white version of those Roys, too. Very comfy.

Wish I didn't sell the liners, but the Roys were complete shit if they had the flag holographic material on the uppers. Since they were plastic, it only took less than a dozen of wears for the plastic to tear above the 5th eyelet. Now that I think about it, Seven NY had to replace my first pair because the flag was already fucked, new, out of the box.

Gutted about the Oki-Ni Rambaramb repros...really wanted the black pair when they released, but I was a po'boy student.

Edited by skeetinyonose

Word? I have the blue 2007 hologram/3d velcros from Raf and the plastic is still going strong, although I think there's mildew on the paper inside the plastic around the eyelets (used them as rainy day boots more than a handful of time). 

I remember finding the black trainers with dino velcro straps and turning crazy, but the only size available at the store was 36 :(

edit: black footwear for fall 2013. really want a pair.

bg_video.gif

image.jpg
image.jpg

Posted it on tumblr a few years ago. Easy to find when you label/tag everything properly.

Just saw the holes that serves as eyelets (again) and I guess I won't cop. Why would I get some shoes with holes in them during fall/winter when living in North America? Would be useful for this summer when you want to wear boots when it's too hot, but it's not useful when it's cold and windy.

It would be okay if i lived in a city who doesn't meet snow and where the temperature doesn't drop below 10 during December and Jan.

Luckily, it's only cold in southern California like 0.2 days of the year...definitely kopping the 2nd boots.

ALSO - Anyone want the Raf x Adidas yellow Ozweego in a size 10? I may be able to help you get one at a very very good price. 

01-07-2013_adiraf_osweego1_blacktoro_3.j

Edited by skeetinyonose

BW is a good example. The Camper ones are not bad and they never really got mainstream.

I like the floral ones too and I'll probably get them. But I'll probably get the Y-3 Qasa and possible adiricks as well. Adiricks might be the most popular (I'm not even sure what they will cost, anyone?) so that might push some people away. I can still wear Y-3 to work but probably not the others so that's a different type of purchase.

I think I'll get a pair of CampersXBW, wouldn't compare them to the Raf as BW isn't running shoe inspired and his collection are actually avant-garde, if the word means anything.