This is everything wrong with American Fashion Today

homi29

as much as I hate this (hoodie), I think I hate the stupidity of the consumer more when there are so many more amazing products or projects available to contribute to. I probably equally hate (or maybe more) any of the "on trend" shit I see pop up every year / season. It's so contrived and transparent, and especially when people try to act like they're above following a trend. I never knew so many people were suddenly into metal and surfing this year, and repping both "lifestyles" so aggressively. Last season it was all plaid errythang hanging from every orifice possible. It's all trend shit, and at least to me that's even a step below this simp ass blue hoodie. 

but still fuck this thing getting a million dollars. 

Uh? i never purchased rag and bone myself, but i know at least 1 factory where they make stuff for them and it's in Portugal.

Rag & Bone is so meta its not even funny.

Two british blokes come to America and rip-off American casual clothing.

Then make that shit in China and sell it to the rest of the world as authentically American.

Genius.

*Still have love for Rag & Bone.

rodarte sucks ass

i will forever be baffled as to why they were so huge and why people kept eating them out

no one even bought their goddamn clothes except for that threadbare sweater

the only thing they were good at was letting louboutin and nicholas kirkwood do some of their shoes

"this will be the last ________ you will ever buy!"

yeah right

all this does is make it easy for the weak-ass basic "average dude" to rationalize his impulse purchase (or "feel-good" donation, whatever)

they already hit their shitty target demographic already:

h4VVFRf.jpg

who cares about these people

they are not worth our time

these consumers are the same people who buy 5 kinds of the same flannel shirt from abercrombie just to get their wardrobe over with

they're not gonna change their consumer habits to encourage any sort of meaningful paradigm shift in the mass-retailing industry. there will always be a shitty middle-of-the-road people with average needs and sensibilities

the more stylistically "adventurous" average shitheads already bought their levis 511s and beeswax clarks desert boots to wear with this shitty hoodie

i see what you're saying, but i think homi was saying that the lazy design has become acceptable at a lot of levels.

thom browne selling oxfords for $500 or whatever is part of that. i won't spend more than $150 on any type of regular shirt because i could buy a bespoke one for that much. why should i pay high fashion prices for lazy design?

and OK maybe it's for the lazy/stupid. that's cool. but if they're so easily hoodwinked then i should lead them elsewhere, to a brand that pays me. that was kind of my plan with Le Mem. to parody and capitalize on what became "#menswear." good for impolytone for getting to the gwop.

Edited by wEstSidE

^some people will buy the thom browne oxford on the grounds that it's thom browne tho. not something i'd do (hell no) but if people wanna feel ~*luxury*~ by spending that amount on an oxford/knowing it's thom browne, okay.
this freggin hoodie tho... uniqlo hoodies look better imho x_x how did this seriously get a million dollars in backing???

people out here strugglin and shit and this asshole makes the most unremarkable piece of clothing i've seen and gets mad $$$$$$
I NO UNDERSTAND

^some people will buy the thom browne oxford on the grounds that it's thom browne tho. not something i'd do (hell no) but if people wanna feel ~*luxury*~ by spending that amount on an oxford/knowing it's thom browne, okay.

this freggin hoodie tho... uniqlo hoodies look better imho x_x how did this seriously get a million dollars in backing???

people out here strugglin and shit and this asshole makes the most unremarkable piece of clothing i've seen and gets mad $$$$$$

I NO UNDERSTAND

what's wrong with american fashion today:

• formulaic lifestyle brands (e.g. saturdays surf) - remember when people made fun of Japan for this?
  • lazy heritage brands (too many examples to pick just one)

funny how america learned both of these from elsewhere.

what's wrong with american fashion today:

• formulaic lifestyle brands (e.g. saturdays surf) - remember when people made fun of Japan for this?
  • lazy heritage brands (too many examples to pick just one)

funny how america learned both of these from elsewhere.

Exactly. I think that all fashion is imitation. Good fashion just hides this fact well. I think American fashion is so easily exposed as a parody these days because it stems from a coddled, mind-numbed, apathetic generation with a herd mentality that doesn't care about world events to keep things fresh and on the edge. We also have an embarrassment of choice and information with the internet and instant communication that there are no focused grassroots movements anymore. There are too many options to keep us occupied. That said, eventually even the most credible and sincere movements become a parody of themselves...given enough time.

Edited by Ammutseba

been to fran's house once several years ago. didnt go to the sneaker room tho