This is everything wrong with American Fashion Today

homi29

I think what fucks people up is the elitism

people disregard what they like most, what makes them feel most comfortable to appeal to the 'universal standard' of good style

we need more democratization, less advertisement, etc.

plus, the fashion industry is extremely unsustainable; the fact we have new styles of clothes coming out every second using up natural resources can't be good for the environment-- you certainly can't be making the BEST quality goods at a mass scale. And to be honest, I think the only reason the system persists is because we're used to it, not because we want it. I think everyone wants quality clothing that makes them look good

You should buy it and take a fit pic then.

poorly designed, mass-produced jawn made for tasteless americans oh nooo~

lol @ this

b964621f9fb0891b94c5946a7cd01f5d_large.jpg?1363278856

*indestructible*

def5e70abdaa6262a72d795c25d6f7ff_large.jpg?1362434852

zipper pull is so hideous too

I think what fucks people up is the elitism

people disregard what they like most, what makes them feel most comfortable to appeal to the 'universal standard' of good style

we need more democratization, less advertisement, etc.

plus, the fashion industry is extremely unsustainable; the fact we have new styles of clothes coming out every second using up natural resources can't be good for the environment-- you certainly can't be making the BEST quality goods at a mass scale. And to be honest, I think the only reason the system persists is because we're used to it, not because we want it. I think everyone wants quality clothing that makes them look good

I may agree with some of the sentiment expressed but why are you so fucking retarded? You couldn't write a cogent point to save your life!

plus, the fashion industry is extremely unsustainable; the fact we have new styles of clothes coming out every second using up natural resources can't be good for the environment--

Designers typically put out collections only bi-annually. I don't think that if designers produced the same collection of garments for 3 years in a row, that it would use up any less resources...

Designers typically put out collections only bi-annually. I don't think that if designers produced the same collection of garments for 3 years in a row, that it would use up any less resources...

No but the typical westerner in his teens and 20s consumes styles/lifestyles very quickly and so buys a lot of clothing over a year and this is driven by overexposure to fashunz. Old rich guy who doesn't give a fuck about finding a new identity or looking fresh and has already 10 Savile row suit just renews his shirts every year or whatever isn't consuming much resources even though he spent a lot on his wardrobe. So fast-driven and diverse trends are indeed driving the production and consumption of clothing. I blame homosexuals and H&M.

thats a diss to w+H

f'realz. don't be hatin on w+h. W+H hoodies is one of those rare jawnz that really stood the test of time. i think i've bought my first one back in 2004 and i still wear them pretty regularly.

No but the typical westerner in his teens and 20s consumes styles/lifestyles very quickly and so buys a lot of clothing over a year and this is driven by overexposure to fashunz. Old rich guy who doesn't give a fuck about finding a new identity or looking fresh and has already 10 Savile row suit just renews his shirts every year or whatever isn't consuming much resources even though he spent a lot on his wardrobe. So fast-driven and diverse trends are indeed driving the production and consumption of clothing. I blame homosexuals and H&M.

Yeah fuck homosexuals and H&M!

f'realz. don't be hatin on w+h. W+H hoodies is one of those rare jawnz that really stood the test of time. i think i've bought my first one back in 2004 and i still wear them pretty regularly.

yo my w+h is so old it's spruce (rip)

Edited by evilgeniusdan

how many of those garments are made

now count how many designers exist globally

now count all the fast fashion (H&M, Gap, Zara, etc.)

the fashion industry is HUGE.

exactly... these guys arent trying to make 'fashion,' they just want to make 'clothing.' for normal people who don't necessarily care about looking fashionable. the majority of the country. and really who cares what they wear...

who cares what some low tier silicon valley engineer wears. there are way worse things in american fashion today.

alexander-wang.jpg

hood-by-air-2012-fall-winter-styling-lookbook-featuring-edison-chen-0.jpeg?w=450

t-alexander-wang-fashion-week.jpg

2008_8_rag_bone.jpg

I like everything that you posted on here.

Alexander Wang is the shit.

So its HBA.

So is Rag and Bone!

What the fuck is wrong with you?

^don't know shit about hba and never handled rag & bone or alexander wang but from a behind the screen perspective think they do some pretty good looking stuff.

that loljon du irks me tho. between all the supreme/mcnairy and out of place jeremy scott adidas whatnots he's all trend and no direction i'd say. (looks pinoy too haha)

as for hoodie... whatever. boring looking, totally unremarkable piece of basic clothing wrapped up in the idea of a long lifespan. that mending service is particularly annoying; why bother paying for shipping if the kind of repairs they offer are the same as (if not worse than) you mending it at home. really ridiculous and i fail to understand why they have the kind of backing they do. x_x

Edited by gndm

i respect his hustle. he found a way to make quality garments appeal to the average joe schmo.

everyone on this board "discovered" the world beyond mall brands at some point. somehow, a particular product and marketing scheme made us look at fit/quality/design from a different perspective. for me, nudie jeans introduced me to the world beyond old navy (i'm not even really ashamed to admit that). for some people, this douchebag is going to be their introduction to the world of clothes that can reasonably be considered "durable goods".

regardless, i don't think this is everything wrong with american fashion. i think the overwhelming positive response to his kickstarter campaign has gotten does say a lot about the awareness of the average consumer but i don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, it's just the world we're living in.

tl:dr: respect the man's hustle

This is the new breed of American clothing. Shit like Gustin, Warby Parker, American Giant, and Flint & Tinder.

Its faux-quality for the tech set.

• 2 weeks later...

Rag & Bone is so meta its not even funny.

Two british blokes come to America and rip-off American casual clothing.

Then make that shit in China and sell it to the rest of the world as authentically American.

Genius.

*Still have love for Rag & Bone.