WW2 repro / detailed jeans

Flash

• 1 year later...

Agreed. The older LVC 44s are definitely the best thing of theirs I've owned.

• 4 months later...

For all the negative feelings I/we have towards Yoshiaki now I still think he makes the best s501xx repro , while all aspects are not 100% correct ( I'm thinking pattern cutting here ) I think the s409xxx San Francisco is still number 1 for me 

I only have one pair - some Valencia St 44s - so am not really qualified to comment. I always liked the look of the Mirrorball pair though; probably not the most authentic but the denim looked great in photos (possibly a bit of cross-hatch), the black donut fly buttons, cool patch a red tab and a cut I think would suit me.

3 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

With WW2 models being the rage during the last years, what's everyone's favourite model/maker and why?

Tbh l'm well over all the WW2 repro stuff and have been for a couple of years.

But l have to agree with @Flash, for me (pattern  cutting and sizing issues aside) the CSF WW2 stuff is still head snd shoulders above any other WW2 repro stuff l've handled. Still have some Cone Lvc 1944's but they dont come close imo.

I think Warehouse did really lots of different models and certainly not bad ones.

In terms of small variations and nuances, CSF will take the price every time. Maybe BOT can rival him? But his stuff looks cleaner, more like Double Volante.

The TCB one wasn't bad as well ( @Flash will disagree in a minute) but the cut just didn't work for me (as well as many TCB cuts I've tried).

With CSF bringing up all the small details and failures, all the other "clean" WW2 pairs you had earlier don't really feel right.

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

TCB's take on the WWII 501 is quite nice imo, especially the denim.
But there is something about the cut that is slightly cartoonish when compared to other brands, I feel like every detail is exaggerated.
For example the high rise (which is really really high), the wonky stitching on the backpockets and their size, as well as the overall shape of the pants. 
From pictures I've seen and from my own experience they also tend to get a diaper butt much more than other brand's take on the cut.
Just have to say how much I love the denim though, it would be cool if TCB made a mid waist version of the 40s.
Next time I buy a WWII pair it will probably be Warehouse 1003.

I don't know about the accuracy  of the TCB high rise to originals but I like it.

I also found their cut has less hip flare than most, which I also like. 

17 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

I think Warehouse did really lots of different models and certainly not bad ones.

In terms of small variations and nuances, CSF will take the price every time. Maybe BOT can rival him? But his stuff looks cleaner, more like Double Volante.

The TCB one wasn't bad as well ( @Flash will disagree in a minute) but the cut just didn't work for me (as well as many TCB cuts I've tried).

With CSF bringing up all the small details and failures, all the other "clean" WW2 pairs you had earlier don't really feel right.

Warehouse have really impressed me; wish they'd been making this much variation in models back in early 2000's - l would've ditched lvc straight away.

I think they do 3 or 4 different war models plus a 1941 with (probably) the wrong yoke, plus many others.

CSF takes the prize for stitching, using old machines and general attention to detail/nuances. The WW2 denim is probably one of my favourites ever. 

Never been interested in anything TCB has to offer.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/22/2022 at 3:52 AM, Dr_Heech said:

But l have to agree with @Flash, for me (pattern  cutting and sizing issues aside) the CSF WW2 stuff is still head snd shoulders above any other WW2 repro stuff l've handled. Still have some Cone Lvc 1944's but they dont come close imo.

WW2 repro still is and probably forever will be my favorite "type" of garment. From details, fit, to denim. It just has so much soul to it, with so many wonky details to get into and the grainy gray caste denims that are so good. I have been dying to try as CSF pair for several years but am confused and slightly turned off by the accessibility problem. I'm not opposed to paying second-hand prices (which seem to be $1k+) But even still I can't find my way to snagging a pair. From what I have seen, they sure seem like the end-all pair for my neurotic perfection quests.

And yeah Nils, the rise on the TCBs is comical but otherwise, I have really enjoyed them. 

Edited by Graytrain

2 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

There are some pairs on Mercari. Probably on Yahoo as well?! Crazy prices of course...shouldn't have sold my pairs so cheap :D

Pairs? Thought you only sold the one pair? (My new/your old #24 in the book) - as l sold those 47's back to you, for the same (far too cheap) price iirc :D

Tbh his original prices were steep enough for me, bordering on ridiculous. But l am soo glad to have the 2 pairs l now own and can actually wear comfortably. 

1 hour ago, Graytrain said:

Ah I am sensing some of the drama around this. Sounds like the year long waiting list I had access to a couple years back (that I thought was crazy enough) would have been the path of least resistance. Lol

The jeans seem cool and all but I couldn't ever patronize someone who was that publicly a dickhead. I don't care how good it is. I'm sure I've bought clothes from people who are jerks before, and maybe some people who seem jerks online are not in real life, but all I have to go on is what is out there and with CSF it's a mess all of his own making - and worse than being miserly it seems he is actually vindictive about it which is even worse. Too many other good pants out there. I'd wear them if I'd ever bought it before he outed himself as such though. No use in tossing what's already made if it works. 

Edited by AlientoyWorkmachine

1 hour ago, Dr_Heech said:

Pairs? Thought you only sold the one pair? (My new/your old #24 in the book) - as l sold those 47's back to you, for the same (far too cheap) price iirc :D

Tbh his original prices were steep enough for me, bordering on ridiculous. But l am soo glad to have the 2 pairs l now own and can actually wear comfortably. 

I had another pair of WW2 jeans with flannel pocket bags (the first he offered) that another forum member from here got years ago :)